• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New A-2 Contracts Coming to Headwind Mfg Co

Skyhawk

Very nice project!
Will you use NOS hardware ( zipper, fasteners, hooks etc...) or Talon and United Carr repros?
Thx and congrats

Thanks! Yes we will be using the reproduction USA Talon zips and United Carr snaps. Not the cheap knockoff ones. I don't have enough stock of NOS stuff to use that but the repro ones I have are a match to the original hardware used.

Skyhawk

What time line are we looking at for the three A2s .

Rgds Jeff

3 years......just kidding!!

Not positive yet. We are working our way through our queue, and we are finishing up the Goldsmith A-2 right now. It won't take too long once we start on them though.

The SAT will likely be first. I am estimating having that done in December. Then probably the House version followed by the Knopf. Hopefully by February we will have them all complete.

-Jay

2BM2K

#3 The Knopf 42-18246P (No Name) A rare and unique contract. Our version is being patterned off this size 44 Original- Luckily it is all original, even the knits:

For the sake of clarity do you own or have access to the Knopf jacket in the photo's ?

Smithy

Out of interest Jay can you let on a bit about your house jacket? Collar stand, no collar stand? What's the pattern going to like in terms of fit compared to original contract styles of fit - trim, loose-ish, wide shoulders, rotated sleeves, etc.

Just wondering what the Headwind house angle is going to be in terms of patterning.

Skyhawk

Out of interest Jay can you let on a bit about your house jacket? Collar stand, no collar stand? What's the pattern going to like in terms of fit compared to original contract styles of fit - trim, loose-ish, wide shoulders, rotated sleeves, etc.

Just wondering what the Headwind house angle is going to be in terms of patterning.
All things I am currently working out. The pattern will be 1940's fit but we can custom make any size.

Regards,
Jay

Skyhawk

Smithy

All things I am currently working out. The pattern will be 1940's fit but we can custom make any size.

Regards,
Jay

That's cool to hear Jay and probably wise too. Anyone wanting a "generic" yet true to form A-2 will lean towards a wartime one rather than the more esoteric early contracts so I'd say it was prudent to make the house version with nods and a leaning to wartime 40s styles, patterning and detailing.

Looking forward to seeing it when it pops up Jay!

mulceber

3 years......just kidding!!

Not positive yet. We are working our way through our queue, and we are finishing up the Goldsmith A-2 right now. It won't take too long once we start on them though.

The SAT will likely be first. I am estimating having that done in December. Then probably the House version followed by the Knopf. Hopefully by February we will have them all complete.

-Jay

ok, time for me to start squirreling away money.;)

Brettafett

OK, Jay is making a No Name 18246. Great stuff.
Lets have some fun with the House jacket. How about some suggestions. If he were to make a slightly more 'budget' jacket, based on a WW2 A-2 pattern, what would be your suggestions?
How about a horsehide Bronco? Werber? Perry? Poughkeepsie? I think we have enough Roughwears, Aeros and Dubows.

Juanito

OK, Jay is making a No Name 18246. Great stuff.
Lets have some fun with the House jacket. How about some suggestions. If he were to make a slightly more 'budget' jacket, based on a WW2 A-2 pattern, what would be your suggestions?
How about a horsehide Bronco? Werber? Perry? Poughkeepsie? I think we have enough Roughwears, Aeros and Dubows.
I would vote for a Star based jacket with the neck profile, graceful posted let flaps, sensible collar and nicely sized elaulets.

Last edited:

Juanito

Yes I patterned that size 44 and took notes on all the details. With it being such a rare contract I figured I may someday make a reproduction. The day is here or at least coming very soon...
If it is any help, I have a beautiful GW Knopf in size 46, and have a ton of photos of an original size 46 Knopf I bought from none other than Mr. Swatland, but have since sold,.if it helps the project. Remember, I am local on the other side of Portland.

mulceber

I would note for a Star based jacket with the neck profile, graceful posted let flaps, sensible collar and nicely sized elaulets.

Seconded. It’s a great looking jacket, but maybe give it a less slender cut than the Stars have (from what I’ve heard)?