• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 61st Fighter Squadron

A

Anonymous

DSCN4011.jpg
New 61st Fighter Squadron. Starting to get specific as possible with color and design. I am using the Maurer book. Seams there are many variants, and would like to do the approved insignia.

unclegrumpy

Painted WW II era originals I have seen have a light sliver blue background instead of the white, and no yellow under the goggles. The color under the googles is a somewhat lighter shade of brown than the rest of the flight helmet. That brown is also used for an edging around the rim of the patch.

A

Anonymous

Agreed, however I am going by the Maurer book which states a white backgound, tan face brown helmet, earphones black, and shows no edging. I am sure many variations exist.

EMBLEMHUNTER

The only thing I see wrong color wise would be the color under the "lens" , it should be a light-medium brown as most I've seen, other than that an Excellent job Amigo !
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

chitchat said:
http://56thfightergroup.co.uk/ Although not an original patch, which I have not been lucky enough to see in color, the website looks about the same.
I very much agree, I think they went off of a current "re-draw" of the emblem , but it could have been that way in WW-2 as well , I have seen a 'couple" "suppossed" originals that were the light tan, but who knows , it's no big deal , you're patch is great reguardless of the color , keep up the good work !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny/Emblemhunter

A

Anonymous

Any pics of original patches? I have four of the major jacket books, and not one with a 61st shown.

EMBLEMHUNTER

No , sorry I don't have any photos of "originals" many years ago when I first got interested in emblems I had seen one or two at militaria shows and didn't have the sense at that time to get a photo of them (Doh !!!!!) I'm sure if you got aholed of the current curator of the unit's history via a reunion web page or wherever the current unit is based now thier Historian should be able to help you with "original" patch or art photos of the design, or a "Disney" collector seeing as this was one of thier designs .
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

Well a BIG Ooooooops on that "spelling" it should have read a Hold of , please correct this if possible , Duhhhhhhhhh :oops:

Vcruiser

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Well a BIG Ooooooops on that "spelling" it should have read a Hold of , please correct this if possible , Duhhhhhhhhh :oops:

Knew what you meant. Just couldn't resist. Wanted to see chit's reaction... :D

jollygreenslugg

One of my favourite squadron images. I had a crack at that particular patch a few months ago;

J06.jpg

My foster-daughter sat with me and 'helped' as I painted! She has very high needs and she struggles with the day-to-days of life, but she's a happy girl. I couldn't help but get her a jacket and paint it up "just like dad's"!

AB1.jpg

I'm probably like many people who end up producing a painting based on a painting based on a painting. A good fun though!

Cheers,
Matt

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the post, my daughter is also a special needs kid, actually woman at 26. She has main streamed quite well. They have an advantage over all other humans. They accept all people the way they are, and enjoy life.

EMBLEMHUNTER

chitchat said:
Thanks for the post, my daughter is also a special needs kid, actually woman at 26. She has main streamed quite well. They have an advantage over all other humans. They accept all people the way they are, and enjoy life.

In that way and others they're really much better off than we are !