• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 37J1 Model - The "Tophatter's Jacket" - 37J1 Pre-contract Test Jacket

Skyhawk

Wow, very nice! Are you producing these now? If so, how long will a custom sizing take?

Brian
Thanks! Yes we are making these now. It should be up on the site today. We are speeding through our queue now so it would not be too long of a wait. It shouldn't be more than 10 weeks or so. I can give more specifics at the time the order is placed.

Skyhawk

Your best work yet ,which country are these made in .

Jeff
Thanks!
Our jackets are made in the USA, India, and Pakistan. Although the India and Pakistan jackets are made with 100% imported parts, so it is really only the assembly that is happening there. The designs are all done by me. All jackets are sent to us in Portland Oregon for final quality checks and finishing work. No jacket leaves us and goes out to the customer until it has been fully inspected.

Regards,
Jay

Skyhawk

Which tannery does the capeskin for you? It looks historically accurate.

Thanks B! It was hard to track down but well worth it.
I can tell you that our Capeskin is from South Africa but I cannot release the name of the tanner. It is not a well known tanner and I doubt that you would be familiar with them.

Capeskin is very hard to find. 99% of the tanneries you ask will think you are talking about regular Sheepskin. I have had countless hopes dashed by tanners who say they have Capeskin, but when further investigation is done, it is actually Sheepskin they are talking about. Capeskin is not a popular leather outside of our little reproduction industry. It is definitely not a mainstream fashion material.

Skyhawk

Very 'Secret Squirrel'... I like it..
:cool:

Pretty standard practice. I don't recall any maker stating which tannery they get their Capeskin from.

Needle in the haystack type of situation here......

I Was just talking about Atom Ant like 3 days ago! Remember the Atom Ant & secret Squirrel show anyone? :D

-Jay

Skyhawk

Any luck on finding someone to paint the high hat on the jacket ,and doing a run like ELC does .

Jeff
Yes I have a few options. Being USA based is a necessity. Right now I am working with an experienced artist who is making up a sample for me. The hide has been tested for colorfastness and it will be just fine to paint on. Now I am sending larger pieces of Capeskin to make up a sample. I will pot photos when it's done.

bseal

Yes I have a few options. Being USA based is a necessity. Right now I am working with an experienced artist who is making up a sample for me. The hide has been tested for colorfastness and it will be just fine to paint on. Now I am sending larger pieces of Capeskin to make up a sample. I will pot photos when it's done.
This would be a nice option on the left shoulder.
67539F7F-3981-414F-8A71-5E00D268F3D7.jpeg

Skyhawk

This would be a nice option on the left shoulder.

Yes maybe a leather embossed version..... It would be only for my personal jacket though because apparently I am now the Secret Squirrel.....I am the squirrel...Coo Coo Ka Choo.

Now where are those nuts....never mind... found them!
:D

Skyhawk

The actual jacket went off to the customer. It was not my size so a fit pick would have been bad. I can tell you though he was excited. He has my other 37J1 as well. He is no stranger to high end jackets and he called it "Superb" so that is a great sign.
- Jay

B-Man2

Hi Dimitry!
That looks to be a 37J1 with the pockets sewn on the outside of the jacket.
The Top Hat jacket has the pockets internal to the jacket with the pocket flaps covering the pocket slits

jrsheairs

The High Hats Jacket is now available on the site!

High Hats Jackets
Hi Jay, I am very interested in the High Hat jacket. I flew in the Tophatters squadron from 1983 to 1986 in the F-14. I recently purchased an ELC RW 27752 A-2 complete with a cloth Tophatters patch. ELC sells the cloth patch under the USN Squadron VB-41 which was their designation in 1943. I cannot find any sizing information on your website. My ELC A-2 is a size 42 and fits great. What size would you recommend? I like my jackets to have a slim fit. I am 6‘ 165 lbs 32” waist. Thanks
F0A8C437-02B4-4E8D-86E8-8C459323D461.jpeg