• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 2019 Buzz Rickson Type A-11 Repro Watch

Edward

reposting here just in case anyone is interested in the very latest accurate repro of an A-11 hack watch

posted by History Preservations Associates THURSDAY Oct. 10 AT 11:20 AM

Coming in early November 2019 from our friends at Buzz Rickson's brand are superb copies of the iconic WWII USAAF A-11 Navigation Watch.

The A-11 was made in the hundreds of thousands during WWII and was the standard timepiece issued to pilots, bombardiers, and navigators, and the most perfect companion for a WWII-style flying jacket. The postwar copies I've seen have been, at best, mediocre, but now for the first time since 1945 this watch is being made with a maximum effort to get it right.

Produced in conjunction with the watch masters at Japan's famous SEIKO watch company, it will feature a mechanical movement with 21 jewels. Yes, you read correctly, an A-11 watch made with a mechanical movement is being produced!!! Other features include the correct cotton strap in light olive drab, nomenclature stamping on the watch back that precisely mirrors a famous contract from 1942, nickel-plated case, mineral crystal, clone-like copy of the watch dial and hand shape featuring luminous dial with sweep second hand, and a presentation case.

These will not be offered again and are part of a limited series of 500 pieces. We will have the only stock of these watches in N. America once they arrive and expectations are high for a fast sellout.

The current estimated price will be $650.00 each. If you wish to be added to our notification list for the arrival and chance to purchase before they appear on our website, please contact us.

P. S. This specific copy is based on an example produced by Elgin and Buzz Rickson's sent me a photo today of the very example they used as the basis for the new release, which I now share here with you.
Charles DiSipio
History Preservation Associates
Ph: 856-489-8103
Fx: 856-489-8104
E: [email protected]
http://www.historypreservation.com

71327033_2435011533202792_1990482621733273600_n.jpg

Actual A-11 used for reference:
IMG_1618.JPG

Edward

I too thought the price a bit steep considering a serviced A-11 can be had for less although lately they have been scarce on eBay. I bought my black face Elgin for $300 a couple of years ago and it still keeps time... I recently got lucky and bought the rare white face 1941 Elgin A-11 in perfect running order and excellent condition for $200! (these white dial usually go for $900 in rough condition) so , ya... its a pricey watch but at least they are making an accurate repro unlike previous attempts that made them too large.

Edward

Well it does look very well made and with Seiko movements it should last, but honestly if it weren’t for the case I could never see myself spending $650.00 on any Seiko watch.

I agree. I swallowed hard when I spent $300 on mine lol! I hadn’t worn a watch in 30 years until I got it and even now I rarely wear this one mostly because I don’t want to damage it. My iPhone is my “pocket watch” lol!

MikeyB-17

I wouldn’t have been surprised if they charged double that. And I daresay people would have paid it.
I had a Bulova A-11 years ago. Never wore it, it was too small for my tastes, I’ve always been used to big Seiko divers.

Officer Dibley

I’m the reverse Mikey. I have big wrists and when i got my Rolex GMT I back in 1981, it was one of the biggest watches out there and looked fine on me. However, i recrntly semi-retired the Rolly and have taken to wearing small watches from the 1940’s.
They look small compared to the current fad for dinner plate watches that overhang smaller wrists but to be honest, i like to buck trends and as my eyesight is good (with glasses) and i have no need to let the folk on the International Space Station do a time check off me, why wear a large watch ? My little Avia fits nicely under shirt and jacket cuffs rather than catching on the knits or making my shirt cuff wrinkle.
All horses for courses and personal preference asthetically though ;) And i can see why someone like me (but with more spare cash..!) might want a small WW2-size and looking watch but with a sparkly new movement.

Carl

I'm no A11 expert and have to rely on those who are , so I hope someone will chime in here , but wasnt that particular contract A11 a "WHITE" face ? @Edward your same contract A11 is a "white" face is it not ?? ;) .

ausreenactor

They will certainly sell out.. Not sure if I would justify the outlay though... That's a Garmin Fenix for that price..

Carl

They will certainly sell out.. Not sure if I would justify the outlay though... That's a Garmin Fenix for that price..
Are BR the sort of company to "test the water" so to speak , by just running out a small number to see if they sell ? And then get more produced ?
Seems alot of outlay for just a relatively small batch number ?
Or is it just the " numbers " game ?

ausreenactor

They might do a run now, wait five years. Another batch or a different face/backing plate... To maintain the exclusive sales pitch.

Pilot

A LIP Ww1 French military watch.
In France I only have the lower value watches.
The high end watches are stored in my second home in Korea....same for my other valuable collector items... safer there...