• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never thought I'd see the day-I bought an Avirex.

CBI

I have a "crappy" Willis and Geiger A-2 that IMO fits me REALLY well, love the drape. I enjoy wearing it as much as any A-2 repro I have owned. Of course, its no Good Wear or ELC, the W&G is not in that class but I enjoy wearing it..................end of story.

Smithy

The problem for most with the hyper expensive repros is that a lot of people are terrified of anything happening to them (not really surprising when you've spent an arm and a leg on the thing) and as a consequence the jackets get babied and don't get the wear and therefore don't build the patina that most are looking for. Plus a lot of guys seem to spend so much time fretting about something happening to the very expensive jackets that they don't really seem to enjoy carefree wear
with them. Over at the hat place used to be classic, chaps nearly having a fit because there was a spot on the jacket if you looked at it from exactly a 52 degree angle, guys having palpitations about whether to lie it on the floor or put it on a hanger, and then good grief what kind of hanger??!!

I have two "cheapie" A-2s and bloody love them. I wear them in all weathers, I do manual work in them and I'm not afraid of having a pint or eating a kebab whilst wearing the things. It's liberating to just wear a jacket, do whatever the hell you want to in it and don't give a flying firetruck about it. It's so much more enjoyable.

tjoenn

You're spot on Smithy! I used to freak out if I wore my Eastman and it started raining. This forum has changed my attitude and now I do all kinds of work in my jacket, trying to make it look more used (it's already timeworn), it's definitely a liberating feeling. My original though I treat with more respect, don't need it to look any more worn than it is anyways...

Smithy

You're spot on Smithy! I used to freak out if I wore my Eastman and it started raining. This forum has changed my attitude and now I do all kinds of work in my jacket, trying to make it look more used (it's already timeworn), it's definitely a liberating feeling. My original though I treat with more respect, don't need it to look any more worn than it is anyways...

I can totally understand it with an original, that's an historic artefact but good on you for just wearing and not worrying about your ELC. It'll look all the better for it and you'll be a lot happier when you wear it!

MikeyB-17

Thanks for all the positive comments chaps. When I get a chance I will try and get some pics in decent light, which will give you a better idea of the fantastic patina on the hide, which my crappy phone shots don’t do justice to.

johnwayne

I've always 'panned' Avirex only really because it's always described by many as 'original/authentic/vintage' when being sold -mind you the 80's is now vintage to many I guess but and as some of you say, it may not be top drawer in repro terms, however I must say, I'd have bought that for £50 too!! Great buy for sure and a more accurate look than some, if I saw you out in the street I don't think I would suspect it was an Avirex. It's actually quite Perry-ish but then your pose is a bit 'we're the management'!!! Well done that man.

B-Man2

Mikey
So far you’ve received 100 % positive feedback!
Outstanding !! Please post some outdoor pics when you have time.!

CBI

how many high end repros have NOT received 100% positive feedback on here...................most, there is usually some BS comment or observation. Go Avirex!.......................what?

Officer Dibley

The problem for most with the hyper expensive repros is that a lot of people are terrified of anything happening to them (not really surprising when you've spent an arm and a leg on the thing) and as a consequence the jackets get babied and don't get the wear and therefore don't build the patina that most are looking for. Plus a lot of guys seem to spend so much time fretting about something happening to the very expensive jackets that they don't really seem to enjoy carefree wear
with them. Over at the hat place used to be classic, chaps nearly having a fit because there was a spot on the jacket if you looked at it from exactly a 52 degree angle, guys having palpitations about whether to lie it on the floor or put it on a hanger, and then good grief what kind of hanger??!!

I have two "cheapie" A-2s and bloody love them. I wear them in all weathers, I do manual work in them and I'm not afraid of having a pint or eating a kebab whilst wearing the things. It's liberating to just wear a jacket, do whatever the hell you want to in it and don't give a flying firetruck about it. It's so much more enjoyable.

Wise words. Get yourself a jacket that you can wear with the same abandon the originals were worn with and not some over-priced stitch for stitch posing piece where you care more about what people think of it than enjoying it for what it is. Once you’ve done that, you’ll never look back.

Members online

Latest posts