• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with ID of Donald Duck Squadron patch

johnwayne

Tried opening the link and it tells me I don't have permission! Never had that here in all the years I've been a member so I'm thinking very view if any will be able to see it either - can't you post a pic so we can help, I'm sure someone will be able to!!

Museums

I edited the settings to the media album, apparently it defaults to private. Hopefully that will work- plus I made it my avatar in case the image still doesn't show up.

johnwayne

375th FS/361 FG 8th AF had something similar ie Donald Duck, lightning strikes etc but it's a different pose and he's wearing a Stars and Stripes top hat so doubt it's a bastardised version of that! So it's not 8th AF from what I've checked in Roger Freeman's War Paint and Heraldry book.

Museums

The closest match I've ever come up with is the nose art on this P-51 of the 336th FS. The patch though has appeared in print- a book on Donald Duck shows it in black and white- but alas, doesn't identify it. (I'll try to post that page later, can't access it at work). View media item 946

johnwayne

image.jpeg

This one is currently in the RAF Museum here in London, UK, not sure if it's the original in your b/w pic or just painted in its honour! Lovely plane though!!