• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help to identify a possible G-1 jacket

the_joker

Hello everyone!

Im the_joker, new to the forum and im requesting your help.

Some days ago i manage to put my hands in what it looks like an G-1 leather jacket. it was dirty cheap, 20 bucks, and it looked kinda the real stuff.
i know about m65 & tanker jackets but flight jackets are not my expertise. surfed the web, this forum looking for answers but im still puzzle up if it is a replica, the real thing (and having a possible time period) or what.

Things that im sure of:
  • It is most sure that is NOT a real USN contract and more a well done replica. I live in a little south american country, were since inmemorial times, military personnel have to buy their own uniforms. In the case of our airforce, no particular jacket is issued (cwu45/p, cwu36/p and ma-1 are the most common used) and the mayority are ALPHA civililan models, something that is changing thanks to globalization, international credit cards and ebay . before internet times, original a2, g-1, etc jackets were very rare. Only lucky officers or ground crew that had courses in Panama or were in charge of ferrying aircraft from the states (texans, p-51, b-25, c-47, f-80/t-33, a37 dragonfly, c-130) could put their hands on 'em. The not lucky ones, had to rely on local tailors. That make the chance to buy an original G-1 Jacket in a thrift store almost like winning the lotto.
  • Having in consideration the information on this forum about G-1's i can say that the buttons and the tag are not matching and USN/US stencils are missing. Took my atention that it does have a Talon Zipper thought.
Im attaching all the photos that i could collect (the jacket is not in my hands yet, but in transit with the carrier) to provide you, the experts, with more clues.

Front and back:

Screenshot_2022-01-14-02-07-24-524_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
IMG-20220111-WA0015.jpg

Tag inside jacket and liner:

IMG-20220113-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20220113-WA0018.jpg

extra photos (collar, buttons, pockets):
IMG-20220113-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20220113-WA0024.jpg
Screenshot_2022-01-13-19-50-04-688_com.whatsapp.jpg
Screenshot_2022-01-13-19-50-17-810_com.whatsapp.jpg

Talon Zipper:
IMG-20220113-WA0021.jpg

Well, thank you all very much in advance for any info you can share, im very glad to be part of this forum and community.

P.S.: sorry for the spelling mistakes this tread could have, english is not my first language and for all the extra information that was not relevant to my question. As an Historian, is impossible not to clarify every detail...

Attachments

• IMG-20220113-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20220113-WA0018.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 153

OperationCoffee

Cool jacket. Like the black tag with care instructions even in a vintage font. It sort of looks like an actual spec label may have been placed above it at some point. It even has a pen slot. The shape of the pocket flaps is spot on for an early 7823A type. The collar isn't as stitched together as a gen. but who will notice? Good score

Last edited:

the_joker

Cool jacket. Like the black tag with care instructions even in a vintage font. It sort of looks like an actual spec label may have been placed above it at some point. It even has a pen slot. The shape of the pocket flaps is spot on for an early 7823A type. The collar isn't as stitched together as a gen. but who will notice? Good score

the tag is something that really really puzzles me. Vintage font, same place of the "original ones" (even size number) and traces of something being there before. Searched a lot, but until now, couldn't find any replica or real thing with a tag like that..

eitherway, is a really good score and a perfect 'wearer' as @SteveN said.

Chandler

Coin operated method of "dry cleaning?"

That's a new one on me. Seen a lot of coin op laundromats, but none ever touted themselves as dry cleaners (in the U.S.).

Nevertheless, a nice looking jacket -- especially for 20 bones.

the_joker

@Chandler I didn't realized that! Thanks for mentioning it!

Here where I live, coin op Laundromats are non-existent. So I suppose that this is a replica made outside the USA? Maybe where the Laundromats are called "coin operated dry cleaners"? -- Hell this jacket is really puzzling me and my historian self need answers hahahahah

Nickb123

I’ve seen that tag around a lot in the past. Can’t recall what it is, but that tag in that font is out there.

the_joker

I bought it here a couple months back, the pics are from the ad.
Carroll Reed was a retail/catalog ski shop, I remember looking through their catalogs as a kid in the 60s. No clue who actually made it or when, any ideas?

Well, cheching on internet, found something similar to a WWII Mackinaw Coat with the same style of tag and same looking "fur" on the collar and the seller said that it was from the 60's. That style of Talon zipper on the jacket is also from the 50/60's. Knowing that Carroll Reed sold the stores in 1969, something that brought a new style of tag, and that is almost identical to an 7823a or a m422a i can guess that is late 50's? what you think?