• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED HELP! Looking for budget A2 Jacket

CoopDog

I appreciate your input, is the doniger the closest to ww2 specs on the website?

The Doniger's came originally only in Goatsjkin, that's why I like the Firvestar Goat.. There is a review of a FiveStar Doniger Goatskin on this forum. It is a pretty nice repro. for the money.

Sizing may be an issue if you are 6 ft and 38 chest (you are the same size at my 15 yr old.) You probably need something in a 40L. As you will learn, the size number given by the maker, often means nothing and doesn't correspond to your regular suit size. (I find that A-2's can run one to three sizes above your suit size.) I wear a size 43R in suits, always have. My A-2 is 46) What I did was buy some used Avirex's on EBay for less than $100. I returned one, gave the other to my son, and the third one, which I got for $60, was a perfect fit. Then, when you find a jacket that fits, measure the jacket. I would search for a 40L on Ebay. But the good thing about FiveStar is that they make a lot of sizes and give the actual measurements of the jackets on their web page.

Maybe something like this:

Avirex A-2 Leather Flight Jacket Size 40 L

Last edited:

billwong

Given the chest size requirement and his torso length are at odds with each other. Best bet would be a custom cut from FS. And it would be within his budget.

That would be the logical line of thought. No one makes these decisions from logic. Else we would all own one jacket.

Centaurus3200

I assume used is okay?

Hard to beat those older one piece back made in San Francisco Golden Bear A2 jackets (who also made early LL Bean and Banana Republic).

You want the ones that are numerically sized (not just small, medium, large, etc.).

Ed Rooney

I assume used is okay?

Hard to beat those older one piece back made in San Francisco Golden Bear A2 jackets (who also made early LL Bean and Banana Republic).

You want the ones that are numerically sized (not just small, medium, large, etc.).

Did they also do Eddie Bauer? I always thought those looked great. Even the hand warmer pockets were done tastefully.

Centaurus3200

Quite possibly. Here's what a golden bear tag looks like. This is my 1997 LL bean leather shearling jacket.

I think the 1980s ones were even better made. And more traditional cut. As you can see, my jacket has that added "1990's length".

20191204_173720.jpg
20191204_173139.jpg
20191204_172741.jpg
20191204_172528.jpg

Did they also do Eddie Bauer? I always thought those looked great. Even the hand warmer pockets were done tastefully.

achosid

I'm 6'2" and was planning on buying a Platon Dubow, but the wait is currently at 4-6 months and at my height I was very concerned about the length being wrong on an unreturnable jacket. I ordered a FiveStar on Friday. Shawn emailed with me and made a few custom alterations for me and I received pictures this morning of my jacket, along with a DHL express tracking number. The proof will be in the pudding when the jacket arrives, but so far I'm very pleased with my decision.

B-Man2

I'm 6'2" and was planning on buying a Platon Dubow, but the wait is currently at 4-6 months and at my height I was very concerned about the length being wrong on an unreturnable jacket. I ordered a FiveStar on Friday. Shawn emailed with me and made a few custom alterations for me and I received pictures this morning of my jacket, along with a DHL express tracking number. The proof will be in the pudding when the jacket arrives, but so far I'm very pleased with my decision.
Please post some photos when it arrives. Which maker did you order?

achosid

I think it’s a FiveStar @B-Man2 :p

Good guess! ;)

I ordered Friday, received photographs with measurements Monday, and tracking states it'll arrive Monday. I went with this one:

To be exact. I attached the photos Shawn sent for reference.

Attachments

• Back length.jpg
    Back length.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Chest.jpg
    Chest.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Shoulder.jpg
    Shoulder.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 193
  • size.jpg
    size.jpg