• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED HELP! Looking for budget A2 Jacket

I'm on a budget of $200 and am looking for a brown leather A2 jacket. I'm wanting the best bang for my buck repro, or a vintage in good condition. Also in the vintage/WW2 style, nothing modern like US Wings. Any help is appreciated.

Smithy

Yup, really has to be 5 Star, unless you know the measurements you require for a jacket and can score a bargain on FleaBay or similar.

stanier

I'm on a budget of $200 and am looking for a brown leather A2 jacket. I'm wanting the best bang for my buck repro, or a vintage in good condition. Also in the vintage/WW2 style, nothing modern like US Wings. Any help is appreciated.

Without wishing to be controversial or upset anyone, I personally would suggest saving further and going for Platon Dubow. IMHO, Five Star has pro’s and con’s but could become an exercise in frustration as you start from scratch saving for something better.

mulceber

Without wishing to be controversial or upset anyone, I personally would suggest saving further and going for Platon Dubow. IMHO, Five Star has pro’s and con’s but could become an exercise in frustration as you start from scratch saving for something better.

That’s sort of my thinking as well. I know how strong the A-2 bug can be, but it’d be better to hold off and buy a Dubow, possibly used. Not sure what your size is, but Brettafett recently mentioned he’s planning to sell a Dubow in size 42L.

B-Man2

No disagreement with that . If $200. Is his absolute limit then the 5 Star is pretty much his only option. If he can hang on an safe 300 more , you’re right hold out for a JA Dubow. Much better option,

Smithy

Unless he's over 5'10'' or so in which case the Platon Dubow is a no go no matter how much he saves.

Boyo

There is this one for $125 on the Fedora Lounge at the moment...size 44

Not me or mine

Smithy

Forget the Platon Dubow then, it'll almost certainly be too short in the sleeves and body.

I still say 5 Star or if you know the jacket measurements you require and you get lucky you might get something via the auction sites. For $200 you can probably get one of the better/more accurate earlier Avirex/Cockpit A-2s secondhand which aren't a bad starter A-2.

Brettafett

Agree with the above in that if you are set at $200, then a Five Star Doniger in goat would be my choice.
Totally agree though, that if you can sell your car tyres or some cutlery and save a bit more, get a Dubow from Platon.
Size 44 would be your bet.
I am 5'10+ 39.5 chest and wear a 42

mulceber

I appreciate all your guys help so far, I'm 6' tall and 38 chest if that helps anything

Since this is your first A-2 jacket, would you mind telling us your actual chest measurement? It wasn’t clear from your post whether 38 is the actual measurement or the jacket size you normally wear, and since A-2s are a bit wonky in their sizing compared to other jackets, it’s very likely you’ll need a larger size.

Last edited:

Smithy

Agree with the above in that if you are set at $200, then a Five Star Doniger in goat would be my choice.
Totally agree though, that if you can sell your car tyres or some cutlery and save a bit more, get a Dubow from Platon.
Size 44 would be your bet.
I am 5'10+ 39.5 chest and wear a 42

Problem with that though Brett to get the length to work, there's a good chance it'll be too big and roomy in the chest and torso. His chest is 1 and a half inches smaller than yours but you're suggesting a size up from you. The Platon is already outside his budget so if he did really scrape his pennies and make some sacrifices to save for it, there's a fair chance it won't fit him properly and that seems to be unfair advice for a guy who might be on a tight budget and doesn't have the cash to blow if it doesn't work out. That's the thing with these Platon jobs, you have to be in the sweet spot otherwise they won't work. I'd love one but I'm one of those for whom they won't work.

Brettafett

Hey, che ck out AVI LTHR's Bronco.

I have a 42 and its one of my go-to jackets. Theres a review here somewhere. Again, maybe you'd be better with a 44. AVI is the original budget-repro Bronco everyone else copied their patterns from. Good zipper, good hardware, great goatskin.

BTW Smithy's has a point about lengths, regs Platons Dubow. I think a 44 would fit well, but maybe end up a bit short.

Brettafett

Review here: