• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED EXPERT HELP: Buzz Rickson M-65 plus liner question

marcvs66

I'm considering getting myself a new M-65 jacket (repro). I currently own an Mash Co. M-65 - which is fantastic but slightly tight on me. I originally went w/ size S because I like a trim fit (and the Mash Co. M-65s run quite big/or M-65s in general) and I wasn't planning to ever wear the jacket w/ a liner (or thick sweater under it).

I've since reconsidered and I'm looking to get a slightly bigger/more casual fitting M-65 WITH the option of adding a liner. Hoping for this combination:

FgGI9Nb.jpg

According to the measurements on the 'History Preservation' site, I probably would go w/ a size L for the Buzz Rickson M-65.

My question: is the size of the liner supposed to match the size of the jacket? Or does a size M liner go into the size L jacket. The measurements (again: 'History Preservation' site) are literally the same for the size L M-65 jacket and the size L liner. Seems to me, that trying to fit an L liner into an L jacket would potentially be a challenge/problem?

How did this work w/ the original M-65 jackets? Seems obvious that the liners should be a 'matching-pair' - both marked the same size - to avoid unnecessary confusion?

Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Much appreciated!

MikeyB-17

I don’t know how it is with Buzz jackets, but when I picked up a Large Alpha M-65, I bought a Large liner for it and it was fine.

EmergencyIan

Same here. If you wear a mediium jacket, only a medium liner will fit it properly.

Why buy a BR liner???? They’re a fantasy item. On eBay, you can find vintage NOS M-65 liners for a no more than $25....often they’re $5 to $15. Sometimes, you’re getting NOS liners from 1970 for those prices.

By the way, if you scour eBay for an mid 80s or older NOS liner, their labels are white. Knowing this makes it easier to spot them, instead of clicking on every auction.

- Ian

Last edited:

marcvs66

Thanks everybody for the above answers - much appreciated!

So, the consensus is that an L size M-65 should go w/ an L size liner. Makes perfect sense and seems the way that this 'layering system' would have been conceived in the first place. Thanks for confirming.

The measurements on the Buzz Rickson liner/M-65 still don't quite make sense to me. The reason for that probably has something to do w/ the BR camouflage-pattern liner being indeed a fantasy item (as Ian points out above). My guess is, that - while it could be used as a liner - it's really meant/marketed to be worn as a stand-alone jacket (hence the addition of the zipper, etc.).

I do have to confess - while it irks me to pay ten-fold what a basic NOS M-65 liner would cost me on EBay - I do find the camouflage liner quite attractive. Yeah - I get it - it's BS... but that thing is calling my name for some reason...

When I bought my Mash Co. M-65, I looked into buying a NOS M-65 instead - but (being pretty much limited to Ebay) nothing 100% mint and in size M/M-short popped up at the time. The Mash Co. M-65 is a faithful copy of a '67 Alpha M-65 - as far as I can tell. NOS fabric and zipper, etc. I'm actually quite happy w/ it. If they still had a size M available, I would probably just get that and buy a NOS liner for cheap on Ebay and call it a day. But - Mash Co. only has size L left.

I was also hoping, that the BR M-65 might be a better allover fit. Not sure, that's the case - never had the opportunity to try one on.

Thanks again everybody for the good advise.

m.

EmergencyIan

Thanks everybody for the above answers - much appreciated!

So, the consensus is that an L size M-65 should go w/ an L size liner. Makes perfect sense and seems the way that this 'layering system' would have been conceived in the first place. Thanks for confirming.

The measurements on the Buzz Rickson liner/M-65 still don't quite make sense to me. The reason for that probably has something to do w/ the BR camouflage-pattern liner being indeed a fantasy item (as Ian points out above). My guess is, that - while it could be used as a liner - it's really meant/marketed to be worn as a stand-alone jacket (hence the addition of the zipper, etc.).

I do have to confess - while it irks me to pay ten-fold what a basic NOS M-65 liner would cost me on EBay - I do find the camouflage liner quite attractive. Yeah - I get it - it's BS... but that thing is calling my name for some reason...

When I bought my Mash Co. M-65, I looked into buying a NOS M-65 instead - but (being pretty much limited to Ebay) nothing 100% mint and in size M/M-short popped up at the time. The Mash Co. M-65 is a faithful copy of a '67 Alpha M-65 - as far as I can tell. NOS fabric and zipper, etc. I'm actually quite happy w/ it. If they still had a size M available, I would probably just get that and buy a NOS liner for cheap on Ebay and call it a day. But - Mash Co. only has size L left.

I was also hoping, that the BR M-65 might be a better allover fit. Not sure, that's the case - never had the opportunity to try one on.

Thanks again everybody for the good advise.

m.

In that case, my highest recommendation would be to call Charles at HPA and ask him which size would work best. If you have to leave a voicemail, he will return your call. I get the impression that you’ve already looked at the product measurements for each size on HPA’s site.

- Ian

marcvs66

I did actually write/email Charles at HPA w/ the same question but never heard back. He has been really good in the past about answering (even somewhat inane) questions - but no reply this time. Maybe I used an old email address by accident...

The HPA site with its precise measurements for each garment in each size, is invaluable reference. I use it all the time.

I'm going to get a BR M-65 first and worry about that 'fancy' liner later...