• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on how to repair a baldspot on the mouton collar

escorpion_72

Many of us might have the problem with bald spots on the mouton collar.
I know that you can send it to Aero or ELC to have it repaired/exchanged. But I was wondering if there is a way to do it yourself, that will not cost so much. First of all, I noticed that I can use some brown colour (acrylic paint) and paint the bald spot so that it eliminates the white spots. Now I come to the question about adding pieces of mouton (from an older jacket) by gluing it to the bald areas, is this really a good approach?

I hope that you understand my explanation.

Regards,

Escorpion_72

Hamsterbear

Seriously, if it's molting, just send it off somewhere to be replaced. Once it starts losing hair, and it's a concern to you, R&R the fur, as it will only get worse over time.
-B

MikeyB-17

Then again, if it's just a patch that's been rubbed away, and the rest is intact and not moulting (as I would imagine was the case, I don't believe this jacket is that old) I'd have thought it would be theoretically possible to glue a patch into place. The problem is going to be matching the patch to the rest of the collar. If you can get a matching bit of mouton I should think you could cut off a bit (retaining the skin) and glue it into place, perhaps with a bit of careful trimming to blend in with the rest. That would be my tactic, FWIW. If it's all moulting, you're gonna need a new collar.

hacker

You could try to shave down the worn spot, then using Barge cement try to carefully glue a new piece on top. You'll probably have to cut down the height of the new piece so it blends in. Try it on a few scraps first. If the base of the old mouton is getting brittle though, just figure to replace the whole thing.

Hacker