• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Navy WEP Flight Jacket - MIL-S-18342C

Tram

Hey guys-

I was going through some of my pops old Navy stuff and came across his WEP jacket. I think it'd be pretty cool to get him another one for his birthday. He can't fit into his service jacket. ;)

From what I understand these jackets are no longer made, however there are some replicas out there..

Just wondering if anyone has a replica of one of these and could recommend where I might pick one up the most authentic replica for him.

Thanks

Jeff

atkins

@MAc, thank you, i've been searching for 'deep- cut wrist knit' terms for quite a while.

@Jeff, yesterday there's a $300 original WEP on the Evil bay , but Gibson and Barnes' would be my choice.

Tram

Looks like I'll be getting him one from Gibson.. Now that I'm looking, I may pick myself one up.. I'd love to have one with his squadron patch, but I'm not sure if that'd be too "poser" or not..

Tram

Here is my dads jacket..

DSC_0921.jpg

Tram

Yeh, I wish it fit me (or him for that matter)..

It's a 40R and I'm a 50R.. :D

Looks like pops and I will both be getting a Gibson & Barnes jacket and we'll see how they match up.. I was able to find a couple authentic patches in his gear that I'm going to have sewn on. :)

Atticus

I'm not much on repro jackets, but I really like that G&B WEP. Don't know why I've missed it before now, but I have. Thanks for the heads up!

I have a '68 original in size 46R, but it is a really short jacket. It's even shorter than an L-2B. I've been halfheartedly looking for a size 48L original, but they seem to be hard to come by, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the asking price were I to find one. But this G&B WEP for only $158 may spell the end of my search.

So has anyone here got any experience with this jacket? I know G&B leather jackets generally run large. I wonder if their WEP does, too. I'm also wondering if the G&B WEP is as short as are originals. If so, I'm thinking I need to order a size 46 or 48 long.

AF

Tram

From all the reading I did, I settled on our current jacket sizes in long. Mainly because a.) this will be a jacket for wearing other places than the cockpit and b.) after reading it seemed it might be a good idea to pick up the long from others comments.

Atticus

Tram said:
From all the reading I did, I settled on our current jacket sizes in long. Mainly because a.) this will be a jacket for wearing other places than the cockpit and b.) after reading it seemed it might be a good idea to pick up the long from others comments.
I would love to know your impressions of the jackets when you get them. If you could post your thoughts, especially as to size and body length, I would greatly appreciate it.

AF

VAQ-139

I would love to know your impressions of the jackets when you get them. If you could post your thoughts, especially as to size and body length, I would greatly appreciate it.

AF
I just received the Gibson and Barnes Wep jacket size large regular it is beautiful repro has deep cuffs and is very good quality. the size is perfect good length and body room order your reg size

bn1966

Had a 70's 48 Reg original that fitted like a Bolero jacket..just couldn't bring myself to wear it out so moved it on :)