• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NASA Apollo Era Jacket

oose

Hi Willy,
No these jackets were not fully reversible there is no pockets on the orange side, I initially thought the first type was fully reversible but I now think that these were not reversible either and that the orange jacket shown in the first post here are a different type again I think with white material on the other side.

see bottom popper flap on orange side as well as white lining visible.

There are just so many variables with these jackets I suspect that the batch orders were relatively small and that adjustments and changes were made on each batch ordered.

All the best
Stu

PS
If I could edit my first post I would replace the TYPE I image with this one.

Willy McCoy

11.jpg

Gus Grissom with NASA Research Test Pilot Milton Orville Thompson 1962.
I found this picture of the Flite-Wear NASA jacket that I have. Not really Apollo Era but rather Mercury or Gemini Era. I thought the jacket was much newer than that.

oose

Hi Willy,
I think that your one was made for Douglas, the Nasa one is the same design just different color. Still want one of those! Alas funds are in short supply!! The one depicted here I suspect was ordered by AMES Research Center (or another branch of NASA) for their pilots, while the blue astronaut ones like mine were ordered by MSC Manned Space center in Houston.

All the best
Stu

Willy McCoy

$_57.JPG

I found this BOWLERS SHIRT CO FLIGHT JACKET and hadda snag it. What is your take on it Stu?
I know they had a small contract with AMES or NASA.

herk115

Willy McCoy said:
I found this BOWLERS SHIRT CO FLIGHT JACKET and hadda snag it. What is your take on it Stu?
I know they had a small contract with AMES or NASA.

I don't know about Ames but Bowler's had a contract with the Flight Research Center at Edwards (Now the Armstrong Flight Research Center) in the early seventies. The material was pretty bad...light blue Nomex that faded after what seemed like just a few minutes in the sun. I remember in 1976 when David Scott became the director of the center his blue flight suit was on display in the gift shop/museum. Guess he wasn't too thrilled with it.

oose

Hi Willy,
I'm pretty sure these were a contract for Lockheed in the 1970's-1980's, I've seen a number of examples some in light blue and some in dark, virtually all of them I have seen had something to do with the Orion program. Great jacket, When you compare the materials used with other manufactures you can see why they were not used again by Nasa. The zips are a dead giveaway on these as the other manufactures such as Land mfg, Fruhauf etc use much more robust military style zips.

First up one that looks very similar to yours

Second is another Lockheed Bowlers of slightly different design but also has the flimsier zips. General Electric also ordered a number of Bowler jackets of this design for there test teams.

All the best
Stu

Willy McCoy

You nailed it Stu! The label is very faded. Says : Pace Flight Apparel made by Bowling Shirt Co, Where the name line is, written in faded pen : Lockheed. Robin zippers are pretty flimsy but smooth. Jacket is in great shape. Snaps are a little white with corrosion.

oose

Happy to help Willy, do I win the prize! One Data Recording Pen in the post I hope! :lol:

All the best
Stu

Willy McCoy

You win the prize alright. Every year I go to Boulder City Nevada to see my Father. There is not a lot to do there but visit the old train car depository, hike up in the mountains and go to Fisher Space Pen inc. They have a little store in the factory and they are extremely nice. Just so happens that my dad has a few friends that work there and they give me some factory seconds for free however I always buy a couple anyways.
The jacket fits me perfectly and is in very good shape. The arm pocket zipper is stiff but operational. I dressed the teeth with some liquid paraffin and worked it in. Not a big fan of flimsy zippers.

a2jacketpatches

Willy McCoy said:
You win the prize alright. Every year I go to Boulder City Nevada to see my Father. There is not a lot to do there but visit the old train car depository, hike up in the mountains and go to Fisher Space Pen inc. They have a little store in the factory and they are extremely nice. Just so happens that my dad has a few friends that work there and they give me some factory seconds for free however I always buy a couple anyways.
The jacket fits me perfectly and is in very good shape. The arm pocket zipper is stiff but operational. I dressed the teeth with some liquid paraffin and worked it in. Not a big fan of flimsy zippers.

Boulder City? Lots of antique stores there worth poking around in because Nellis has been around for a while. Went to see the dam once and a nice place for July 4th, sort of a step away from the hustle of Las Vegas. Just got to the Sacramento area from Vegas this week after living there for two years. A nice change from the heat, it actually gets cooler here when the sun goes down as opposed to the continuous heat that exudes from the sand, pavement, stucco, and concrete all night long in Vegas. Step outside at midnight and it's still 99 degrees there.

Willy McCoy

I used to like going to Vegas a long time ago. I just pass through now. Seeing young people tottering down the strip with those refillable enormous plastic drinking vessels makes me wince. What happened to those guys that ordered their scotch neat that displayed humor and sophistication?
I like to go watch the planes take off and land at Nellis AFB by Lake Mead BLVD (Hi-Way 147). There is a great view of it from the hills too. Also like going up the Potosi Mountain.