• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name Tags / Fonts and Styles

a2jacketpatches

Very cool, must be private purchase with the PILOT tag. Most fonts seem very similar, some shorter, some skinny, some fat. Here's the one I have coming as it seems my photo got lost or something. I also just ordered a half hide of English tooling kip, the finest available for embossing, stamping, etc. I'm sure it'll work perfectly for my wings as well. Looking into the gold and silver foil thing as well.

DiamondDave

a2jacketpatches said:
That's nice, is it 1" cotton tape and 1/2 inch stencil?

Yes sir. Just sourced an absolutely spotless, NOS stencil machine.
And found the proper tape, which proved to be no small feat since
Most places that offer these use 1" belting weight webbing and not the
Proper nametape weight.

a2jacketpatches

DiamondDave said:
a2jacketpatches said:
That's nice, is it 1" cotton tape and 1/2 inch stencil?

Yes sir. Just sourced an absolutely spotless, NOS stencil machine.
And found the proper tape, which proved to be no small feat since
Most places that offer these use 1" belting weight webbing and not the
Proper nametape weight.

Very cool, I'll lay off trying to figure that out. I have some tape that looks similar but off white so I was thinking of buying those linkable brass stencils. My hands are pretty full doing the wing badge / name tag thing so good luck with them.

a2jacketpatches

Well here's a couple of practice shots with the new stamps / font. I'm very pleased with the sharp impression and nice trim look of the characters. I'm using fine English Kip Tooling Leather for the Italian style wings. Last year I actually had an original jacket with near identical wings applied and painted silver on super thin veg tanned leather so made it a point to match the hide as close as possible. It is nearly impossible to use a thicker leather for the wing / name tag combos because it won't allow for a good impression of the wings. So I also purchased some 4-5 oz Veg Tanned for making standard name strips without wings. All of these tags with or without wings will be offered very soon as singles and nicely discounted in multiples (same name).

a2jacketpatches

These are selling like hot cakes, so I've ordered Navigator, Glider, and Service Pilot. I'm also looking for Juarez pattern wings. Certain makers are more conducive to my stamped wings for many reasons. The main reason I couldn't use a wing badge is because of separate devices added making the wing too deep to make an effective die. If any of you guys have wing badges in damaged condition missing clutch posts or pinbacks, I'd be interested in trade or purchase.

Also, I have a special listed of three name tags in different shades (same name) for 20 bucks if interested.