• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NAF (N-1) New jacket being reproduced.

Dany McDonald

Hi N-1 Aficionado's and the like!

A Japanese company under the name Warehouse & Co Japan have been taking pre-orders on a new NAF repros and it looks very good from the keyboard.
Warehouse have been reproducing garments from the 30's and up.

NAF stands for "NAVAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY", which is the Navy's fighter aircraft factory.
The NAF series, which is said to have been developed for the factory workers and apparently had no official registered contract number.
It seems to have been a transitional piece between the Blue N-1 and the khaki N-1. You will find different combination of US NAVY stencil across the back, no stencils and even reflective US NAVY stencil.
Apparently the cloth was different from previous Blue N-1 as it was thicker...

This a link and images from a previous NAF post done by @Geeboo (Wish he was still around to give his impression)

Here are some images:

WRH-NAF-01.jpg

WRH-NAF-02.jpg

WRH-NAF-03.jpg

WRH-NAF-04.jpg

WRH-NAF-05.jpg

Observations from the keyboard (take with a grain of salt); The Alpaca color looks the correct shade while the jungle cloth could be more Olive. The zipper is ok for trying to replicate a Talon M-43 #5, the tape should be darker and the puller/box brass coated.
Buttons should be plain green but since this jacket is scarce and off the beaten tracks, originals may have had some non-official hardware (?) The label is a very nice copy and welcomed.

Hope this is of interest for some people here!

Dany

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

This is an original being offered:

I love his collection but have no links with the seller. He did have some very nice B-15B in the past and all sorts of vintage military, impressive stuff.

mulceber

Really cool, Dany. For those who don't know, Warehouse is one of the Osaka Five, the earliest Japanese denim manufacturers. They have a pretty sterling reputation for producing quality garments. Whether it will be spot on in reproducing the details of the originals is another matter, but I've no doubt the materials and workmanship will be tip-top.

Dany McDonald

Jan, Agreed with your comment 100%

I am really into N-1 since a couple of years and noticed that many well established Japanese manufacturers are doing USN garments to a very high degree of quality. I cannot afford this iteration for now but the used market will pop in a couple of months.

D

Dany McDonald

Grant pre-order is already sold out. Some shops (infinity) on Rakuten still has it available... If buying was your goal.

Dany

Dany McDonald

I just noticed on another image, different angle but clearer shot, that the U.S. Navy is reflective.... Nice! Geeboo ebay NAF has this feature.
My Colimbo Bleu N-1 also has this feature and I admit I was perplexed before I found Geeboo's post.

D
WRH-NAF-06.jpg

Grant

Bummer, only sizes 40 or smaller available and it runs small.
IMHO, one thing most makers of repro USN deck jackets have a tough time doing is replicating the water repellency of original Bedford cord fabric. From what I've experienced, the old Real McCoy's deck jackets get close. The fabric used on the Chinese made N-1's has zero water repellency which kinda sucks!

ButteMT61

My Pike Bros N-1 is pretty great. Doesn't get tons of usage, but still a great jacket. I've used it in snow back east. Still one of my faves...

Grant

Cool! The snow on my Kelso N-1 melts and soaks into the fa
Is this feature still visible on originals? And how did it present itself originally? Imbedded in the fabric in yarns of as a surface treatment?

Dany
Hey Dany,
I've noticed when out in light rain, water tends to bead off original Bedford cord (some call it jungle cloth) before soaking into the fabric. Not sure of the technology but maybe it has something to do how tightly the fabric is woven? My old Real McCoy's deck jacket fabric does the same thing.

Dany McDonald

Grant,

I see, its still repellent after all these years. I'll have to check if my original still has this property.

Thanks,
Dany

B-Man2

I was under the impression that original N-1 USN jackets had some kind of impervious water proof layer of cellophane or some similar type of material between the Bedford Cord layer and the liner which made the jacket water proof . Can anyone comment on that or am I wrong about this ?

asiamiles

I was under the impression that original N-1 USN jackets had some kind of impervious water proof layer of cellophane or some similar type of material between the Bedford Cord layer and the liner which made the jacket water proof . Can anyone comment on that or am I wrong about this ?
It was the Hook Deck Jackets (not sure about the Zip Deck Jacket) that had the waterproof interlayer. If Bedford Cord was waterproof this would not have been needed, so I guess some N-1s were given water repellant spray to make up for the lack of interlining.

This is an original being offered:

I love his collection but have no links with the seller. He did have some very nice B-15B in the past and all sorts of vintage military, impressive stuff.
The seller isn't that hard to find ;) Thanks for your kind words. Rich AKA The Major's Tailor

Geeboo

for those who are interested in N1- there is a very nutritious post. the comparison of a fur cuff c.1943 vs a non-fur cuff c.1944 is especially rare & informative. I have seen hundreds if not thousands of info. on N1 & this is absolutely THE BEST one - par none.
For the cloth, i tend to agree with Grant that the jungle cloth is so densely woven that it naturally exibit some water repellent properties - not spray-on finishes. As U can see from the listing of the original, there are serious water marks left after laundry for that specimen. Also, i think all old deck jackets has a wind-proof layer inside the alpaca lining. So, in the old design, the designer had used material & constuction method to make it a water resistent & wind-proof garment suitable for its purpose.

Attachments

• N1.jpg
    N1.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited: