• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N4 Jackets in Navy Blue

Tommy

Not sure on the source of the image I've included, but these seem very rare? Were they post WW2, Pre-Vietnam? Any History would be greatly appreciated?

There are loads of the Green N4s as both Vintage and Repro available, but can't seem to find a Blue one?

Attachments

• e8076a526c96d188f7a28341e6b27ca9.jpg
    e8076a526c96d188f7a28341e6b27ca9.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 678

Peter Graham

Hi. The design of that jacket is different from the N-4 so I wouldn't class it as one. Maybe someone can date it from the patches but they aren't familiar to me. At a guess, I'd say it's 60's.

dmar836

There was a period in the 50s where the work uniform transitioned to blue sateen including the "ball" cap. Many sailors liked certain variants of the jackets but disliked others. Online reading at USMilitariaForums might help.
Dave

Tommy

19120333_214855362366465_2766704106859921408_n.jpg

Another image, is it not just a n4 with the top button done up and side adjusters?

hqdefault.jpg

Sure these are what Gregory Peck and crew are wearing in On The Beach?

Have seen a few vintage models, but all fairly faded?

Peter Graham

The N-4 is basically a simplified M-41 with no adjustment tabs, epps or bi-swing back. That looks to have a different collar and cuff design but it's impossible to say without more pics. The M-41 and N-4 also had a half belt but again it's impossible to say without a photo of the back. What I'm certain of after seeing the label and zipper is that it's from the 60's. I posted a load of pics of a WW2 N-4 a few years back but they are all gone now after Photobucket got too greedy and started charging.

Thomas Koehle

I have one of those blue ones in my collection in approx. size 42 - do not exactly remember but I think the label says "ALPHA INDUSTRIES"

in my opinion definitely postwar - will check as soon as i`m back home

chamboid

These are 60’s US Navy utility jackets with DSA-100 contract numbers, probably introduced properly mid 60’s for deck use. Cotton outer shell with a nylon liner. Very airlines desifn ro the N-4, essentially a letter version of it with some adjustments no halfbelt being one.

Quite commonly seen with sub patches on them. Check out the photo and description below (you’ll have to translate it)

http://matin.jp/60s-us-navy-utility-jacket/

RedsShoeRepair

Amazed to find this thread after being able to find little elsewhere online. Just found this jacket yesterday while thrifting on my lunch break. Appreciate all the photos. Mine has a Serval zipper.

Tommy

op-16.jpg

Tony Curtis clearly wearing one of these in Operation Petticoat

054%2BOperation%2BPetticoat%2B%25281959%2529.jpg

Ironically Cary Grant actually inspired Curtis to become part of the submarine service (though he actually served on a support ship/ tender) thanks to two films based in submarines Grant made during the war.

Carl

Arecthesecof any value ?
Found this amongst a bag I had forgotten about .
Carl

newagegeezer

Just found this thread when looking up info on an old jacket of mine. The lining had been removed, so no label, possibly used in the tropics ? Faint USN stamp on chest. No idea whether the patch was original to jacket or added later, it was like this when i bought it in the 1990s. Info from web -
The Kearsarge CV33 was a long-hulled Essex class aircraft carrier launched May 5 1945, commissioned March 2 1946, redesignated CVA33 in ’52 to serve in the Korean War then re-designated as CVS33 in the late ‘50s, served in Vietnam, finally scrapped in 1974. Motto means “In all things, the peak”. So patch would indicate this jacket would have been 52 - late '50s, if contemporarily added to jacket and not later, was the olive version still be used later ?

N4 835.jpg
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

newagegeezer

Just found this thread when looking up info on an old jacket of mine. The lining had been removed, so no label, possibly used in the tropics ? Faint USN stamp on chest. No idea whether the patch was original to jacket or added later, it was like this when i bought it in the 1990s. Info from web -
The Kearsarge CV33 was a long-hulled Essex class aircraft carrier launched May 5 1945, commissioned March 2 1946, redesignated CVA33 in ’52 to serve in the Korean War then re-designated as CVS33 in the late ‘50s, served in Vietnam, finally scrapped in 1974. Motto means “In all things, the peak”. So patch would indicate this jacket would have been 52 - late '50s, if contemporarily added to jacket and not later, was the olive version still be used later ?

View attachment 84275View attachment 84276View attachment 84277View attachment 84277