• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N3B Parka and N4B Mittens

bene

Can someone give me an approx. value of a 60's era N3B Parka (XL)? It is in good shape and has the real fur collar (looks like coyote but might be wolf) and stencil on the left arm. I see the Buzz Rickson's is $945! What is the value of an original?

Also have a pair of N4B mittens with the stencil. They are in good condition as well. The leather palms are soft and in great shape. It has brown acrylic "fur" on the back of the palms.
Does anyone have an approx. value of these as well?
Thanks all....

Atticus

bene said:
Can someone give me an approx. value of a 60's era N3B Parka (XL)? It is in good shape and has the real fur collar (looks like coyote but might be wolf) and stencil on the left arm. I see the Buzz Rickson's is $945! What is the value of an original?

Hi Bene,

Last year I bought a 1964 N-3B Modified and paid a little over a hundred bucks for it. It is size XL, is trimmed in real fur, but 1964 was the year after the stencil was discontinued on N-3bs. Danny bought one just before I did. His is size XL and it has the stencil. I'm not sure as to what he paid, but I recall that he got a very good deal.

Hope this helps.

wisconsin153-1.jpg

AF

Weasel_Loader

It's tough to say a value without seeing the jacket. The prices of early N-3Bs can be all over the place on ebay. Of course the true MINT N-3Bs, especially the first versions with mic tabs and stencils carry the highest prices. Bonus for versions that carry the more rare Crown zippers which were the C and earlier models from Albert Turner and Southern Athletic Aviation.

I've tracked the sale on all nylon jackets for almost a year and kept records and I've seen MINT XL N-3Bs (D Model) go for $600. On the other hand, I've seen more desirable C models in same condition go for $250. Remember a true MINT example will not have ANY discoloration that these jacket usually exhibit around the zippers and hood. Leather pulls showing no wear and so on. Out of all the early nylon, the N-3B is easiest to find in MINT condition. So many never saw the light of day and never got issued, hence the abundance of these jackets.

Along with Geoff, I believe there are a few others on this forum that have VERY nice examples of N-3Bs.

The mittens are also tough to price. They can be anywhere from $10 to $75 depending on condition/appearance.

My N-3B is a D model Albert Turner in Excellent-Mint condition. Mine seems to be unused but has the typical discoloration around the outside of the hood underneath the fur.

N-3BTurner1-650.jpg

N-3BTurner2-600.jpg

N-3BTurner3-600.jpg

N-3BTurner4-600.jpg

N-3BTurner5-650.jpg

Although I don't get very many opportunities to wear my N-3B, it is by FAR the most comfortable jacket to wear while lingering for long periods in cold and windy weather!!! ;)

I wouldn't be so fast to say the N-3 is more rare than an L-2. Yes, they are difficult to find in Mint, but the L-2 is difficult to find in ANY condition. ;)

usafwso

I am starting to sell off some of my excess nylon........ There is just too much of to keep up with.