• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N1 Deck Jacket from AT THE FRONT

Thomas Koehle

out of couriousity and because one of the fellow forum-members offered one for sale I bought one of ATF`s Deck Jackets - THX to "CBI" for the unbeatable pricing and the quick and reliable delivery of the jacket!

previously being very pleased and convinced about the quality of ATF gear I was a bit disappointed with their N1:

material of the outter shell seems to be all right but the lining is by far not what you expect from a alpaca-reproduction - the liner seems rather like a teddybaer with the "furside" in 2 coloured fibers - absolutely NOT convincing

also from the weight the jacket is more on the light side rather than on the heavy - more sturdy side you might expect

all in a nutshell: as for the price I payed for it the jacket it is nice - but if you plan to buy straight off the ATF homepage i`d rather skip and check for other options

not planning to keep her I'd slammed some stencils on her and will sell her asap

just some pics as reference

OkIDxAc.jpg

erszgvq.jpg

o1MMATT.jpg

K8iOVre.jpg

CBI

looks great to me. its not a BR but for the price, I thought they were quite good! the lining DOES look wonky super close up but I think its fine as its just around the collar (the only part one sees externally) looks like you did some aging as well.

Thomas Koehle

looks great to me. its not a BR but for the price, I thought they were quite good! the lining DOES look wonky super close up but I think its fine as its just around the collar (the only part one sees externally) looks like you did some aging as well.

You are absolutely right!

And like I stated I was totally satisfied with our small business but considering the "normal" listing price like 170 bucks I'd say there better alternatives outta there like for example a BRONSON N1

MikeyB-17

Yeah I agree the lining could be better, it could do without the white fibres amongst the brown, but otherwise it looks pretty good to me.

unclegrumpy

CBI, I usually agree with your reviews and commentary regarding the tradeoffs and comprises with some of these less expensive alternatives, but have to side with Thomas on this one. The collar on this otherwise pretty convincing reproduction spoils it. It is too bad for the sake of economy they did not keep what they used on the interior, but upgraded the material just for the collar.

Now where I disagree with you Thomas, is comparing this "fur" to a teddybear...not that you would have ever known it, but they captured the "original" look of my dog almost perfectly :)

o1_MMATT.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg

CBI

Yep, whatever, its one of those things though when wearing it, does not look bad. Yes Bronson could be an good option provided you can find one in your size. I purchased two Bronson shirts for X-mas but the size was totally off in re their sizing chart. If I return them to China, it'd totally not worth it in re $. Others have a had better luck with Bronson and the shirts received excellent quality. I was able to stretch one to make it work. I think ATF is almost out of stock on these N-1's and will probably make changes to future runs. I bought it at the intro $99 price and for that, it was/is a great deal. For forum purposes and "our" tastes, if we want perfection, then its a Buzz which is why I kept my Buzz and sold this one. I used to own some originals which I miss now!!!!!!

Thomas, again, thanks for the sale

Last edited:

dujardin

looks cool

maybe not the best repro, but looks cool

for the price, it's satisfying (imo)

most important, if you are happy with it, just wear it

unclegrumpy

I purchased two Bronson shirts for X-mas but the size was totally off in re their sizing chart. . I think ATF is almost out of stock on these N-1's and will probably make changes to future runs. I bought it at the intro $99 price and for that, it was/is a great deal. For forum purposes and "our" tastes, if we want perfection, then its a Buzz which is why I kept my Buzz and sold this one. I used to own some originals which I miss now!!!!!!

Speaking the sizing issue...did you get your smaller ATF blue deck jacket back yet? Ordered one of the ATF Tankers for a friend in Sweden with polar fleece lining...it was on sale and I thought nice for the price....$99.

Not that you have room in your closet, but just noticed the below on sale...and amazingly, only they only have a choice of your two sizes!

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/Top_quality_reproduction_WWII_Field_Jacket_p/usujm41.htm

CBI

I decided to just return the dark blue jacket and not try a size down. I could swear what I was sent was a size or two larger jacket that was somehow tagged incorrectly. The fit difference was that strange!

Yes, there is room in my closet but I have some other items in the cue as it were:

An Ebbets Filed Flannels Baseball Jacket (X-Mas gift........woo hoo) and a WW1 German Aviator Jacket (an X-Mas gif, hopefully an interesting departure for me) and some high-end cloth WW2 stuff.

Thanks for the head's up.

unclegrumpy

Will be interesting to eventually see if the ATF blue deck jacket has a sizing issue, or yours just had the wrong tag.

A WW1 German Aviator Jacket sounds even more fun and intriguing...lots of variations to the originals....

Cobblers161

Not a bad jacket, such a shame about the lining though.
I can heartily recommend the Bronson N-1. I had initial reservations but after the wash and subsequent shrinkage, it’s tightened up nicely and is my go to by far, beating the Buzz and RMC into 2nd and 3rd place respectively.
It’s also the only N-1 I get comments on, been stopped a couple of times and asked where it came from.
AsCBI mentions though, the issue with buying from the far-east is sizing however at £75 a pop it’s worth the risk.

dlnetsch

Though I have other original and highly accurate American made reproduction Navy deck jackets, I also have an ATF N-1 which I stenciled and aged to wear around the harbor and onboard Navy ships. No argument that the lining is not accurate but it can be quickly distracted with harsh washing and drying and staining the collar with tea bags. It's also a jacket you don't mind messing up with splatters, stains, and rips.