• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N.O.S. RALPH EDWARDS SPTSWEAR, INC. TYPE G-1 INTERMEDIATE FLYING JACKET MIL-J-7823C (WEP)

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

As promised, today I would like to share a NOS example of the G-1 from the C series. This specific contract was awarded by Ralph Edwards Sptstwear, Inc. in fiscal year, 1964.

Ralph Edwards Sptswear was one of the most prolific contractors who made massive numbers of jackets for the Navy.

Finding this example in new condition after more than 57 years was a surprise. Luckily, the cutter tag was still inside the pocket.

Leather is in mint condition. All parts are genuine to the jacket. Mouton collar is immaculate. Knits are pristine, which is rare even for a New Old Stock example. Conmar zipper is working perfectly.

Say no more guys, enjoy the pics.
Have a great Sunday!

Regards,
Jorge
7DE06B06-D3EB-481C-AE0B-DF9A1BBFF4C4.jpeg

E6D44FFC-55D4-4E5C-B3D5-3E2DEDBB9807.jpeg
F8ADCFC6-DB17-4067-9875-F8772D3766A4.jpeg
3BA6D409-F587-413D-9BBA-8EC335909E47.jpeg
36E4C2AA-58C6-43FD-8625-16DDCF063BA6.jpeg
F38C5459-5DC4-4DB5-B8A3-317E382B68C8.jpeg
803E0A32-2C2C-442A-9F8A-7FEDD4A73F75.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Wow!!!
That’s crazy amazing .
Question
I see there’s no USN perforations on the wind flap and no USN on the back of the collar. Isn’t that a little unusual for a USN jacket of that period ?

B-Man2

MaydayWei

Good lord, that's freakin' beautiful! I don't know how you do it, but am I glad you do.
Thanks for sharing mate.
And perhaps a little unnoticed, but thank you for putting so much time and effort into the photography.
Taking such high quality pics of the all tiny details must take an expensive camera and at least a good chunk of time. We really appreciate it!
I'm in awe, quite literally. Can't wait for more to come. Made my Sunday.

tda003

Brand new here. I have just sent my G-1 off for some much needed work and, thus, no pictures. Will try to post pics when it comes home. It got lost for a long time (years)and suffered, mildew took its toll. Mostly the leather. In fact, I'd recently bought a replacement. It, too, is a Ralph Edwards Sportswear, Inc. from 1962. It appears to be goatskin with a genuine mouton collar. Is that possible? Thanks.

ausreenactor

Brand new here. I have just sent my G-1 off for some much needed work and, thus, no pictures. Will try to post pics when it comes home. It got lost for a long time (years)and suffered, mildew took its toll. Mostly the leather. In fact, I'd recently bought a replacement. It, too, is a Ralph Edwards Sportswear, Inc. from 1962. It appears to be goatskin with a genuine mouton collar. Is that possible? Thanks.

G'day and Welcome! Look forward to seeing the pics...

MikeyB-17

It appears to be goatskin with a genuine mouton collar. Is that possible? Thanks.

A ‘62 Ralph Edwards will definitely be goat, and the collar will be mouton. Dynel collars didn’t come in until the late ‘60’s.
I had an unused G-1 once, which was also a ’64 Ralph Edwards. It had that same paper label in the pocket too-but the moths had been at the knits on mine.

tda003

Thank you for the information and the welcome. I've had this G-1 since it fell in my sea bag in Vietnam in 1967. I'd wanted one since seeing my dad's as a youngster of 5 or 6 (1950 -51). Until the last couple of weeks, I was sure that the collar of his was was more pointed than mine, but figured that was my memory playing tricks. Now I realize that it was a WWII flight jacket and did have a more pointed collar. No clue about whether or not it had a "pencil pocket". It did however, come down to my knees. He also had what I now know was an A-2. Don't know the story, but do know he had been in the Navy Reserve and took a commission in the Reserve Officer Corps (Army) and was directly commissioned into the Marine Corps at the start of WWII.

tda003

m1197_wwii_usmc_m442a_aviators_flight_jacket_base.jpg
This what I meant by the pointed collar that I remember from my father's jacket. I'd buy and restore this one, but the price ($799.00) is just a ridiculous starting point. Sorry if I haven't enclosed the photo properly. Point me in the right direction for the future, please.