• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N.O.S. ALBERT TURNER & CO., INC. TYPE N-3B HEAVY AIR CREW JACKET

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

Today I would like to share a NOS example of the third model of the N-3 series, an early TYPE N-3B Heavy Air Crew Jacket made by ALBERT TURNER & CO., INC.

The N-3B, which was adopted around 1953 and continued to be used in the USAF for about 50 years (with some modifications), is an air crew jacket that will work under the heavy zone weather (-10 to -30 degrees C). It was developed and issued for the winter cold weather clothing, and real coyote fur was used for the hood trimming of the model that was issued during the early to mid period.

Initial N-3B were made of nylon fabric and included an oxygen mask tab sewn on the left chest as well as a printed USAF decal on the left shoulder.

This jacket came with a tag belonging to T/Sgt. Arthur A. Bishop, from 1709th Technical Training Squadron under the 1707th Air Transport Group in September 1952 at West Palm Beach, Florida. Most likely issued but never used.

The condition of this example is superb! It could easily be mistaken by a modern repro but it is over 60 years old. The gray nylon shell is spotless, which is very rare. The genuine coyote fur is immaculate. All buttons are present and Crown zippers are working perfectly.

Cutter tags still present on the pockets.

Left shoulder depicts a color printed U.S. AIR FORCE logo in mint condition.

Normally the fitting can be tricky on these jackets, but this Medium fits perfectly.

Say no more guys, enjoy the pics!

Regards,
Jorge
AFA40484-D879-4176-8331-AD7072D15FE4.jpeg
807B111C-45B4-4A91-886F-7F74271D34C6.jpeg
811ABE68-E65E-4786-94F8-65D896C86BCD.jpeg
7805ABD2-843A-479C-B7DA-D3761E681B03.jpeg
222F546F-2D66-499E-BD02-5F03F74B601A.jpeg
CC44CDA6-7942-47C1-9795-04CE137E2F76.jpeg
8BA164BE-E149-48BF-9D59-BBEE6C827551.jpeg
D38EC83C-BC35-4AAB-A17E-7AF114A69B84.jpeg
7594B778-2A32-4918-88CB-42FA17E481BD.jpeg
13A1FDF7-A3D0-400F-A864-DC61BAD6214F.jpeg

MikeyB-17

Blimey what a stunner. I also found mine to be big for the size - mine was a medium, and I'm usually a large. I found mine far heavier and hotter in use than any sheepskin I've had - I didn't keep it long-it's designed for Arctic flying, so it's not surprising.

bazzer

Sorry newbie question what are the yellow tabs in the pockets for? Is that a stock number ?
Thanks
Baz

MaydayWei

Sorry newbie question what are the yellow tabs in the pockets for? Is that a stock number ?
Thanks
Baz

I believe they may be what some refer to as "cutter tags"; to be removed or cut-off upon issue.
It's strongly indicative that Jorge's jacket is in NOS or unissued condition. Like @917_k says, it's an incredible find!
And you'll come to learn that @Jorgeenriqueaguilera has the greatest talent at finding such amazing pieces, seemingly out of nowhere; only god knows how he does it!

Cole P

Jorge,

Just come across your post and photos.

WHAT A FIND - IN THIS CONDITION.

Must be unissued. Amazing.

I want the same in size L

Anyone selling one or knows one for sale ? I have one already by Southern but in rather poor condition.

Cole

B-Man2

Cole
Welcome to VLJ..
Please feel free to introduce yourself in our “Members Bio” Section.
Its customary to introduce yourself first before attempting to negotiate a sale on this forum .
Cheers

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Jorge,

Just come across your post and photos.

WHAT A FIND - IN THIS CONDITION.

Must be unissued. Amazing.

I want the same in size L

Anyone selling one or knows one for sale ? I have one already by Southern but in rather poor condition.

Cole
Thanks, Cole! Yes, the condition is awesome. This one was issued to T/Sgt. Arthur A. Bishop, from 1709th Technical Training Squadron, but probably never worn. Earlier models are rare to find, but ebay is always a good place to search for them.

Cheers,
Jorge