• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-3A Parka from C.H. Masland & Sons

Dany McDonald

Here is a jacket I picked up this week-end. It’s an N-3A form C.H. Masland & Sons. The over-all condition is pretty good considering its age. I’ve always been interested in the Korean War era and jet age from the 50’s, and picking pieces of equipment from that era is still possible. I will have it cleaned professionally and fix some issues here and there.
Wish I could put a production date on it. Anyways enjoy!

Dany.

Attachments

• N-3A-01A.jpg
    N-3A-01A.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 829
  • N-3A-02.jpg
    N-3A-02.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 505
  • N-3A-03.jpg
    N-3A-03.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 442
  • N-3A-04.jpg
    N-3A-04.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 406
  • N-3A-05.jpg
    N-3A-05.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 502
  • N-3A-06.jpg
    N-3A-06.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 539
  • N-3A-07.jpg
    N-3A-07.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 524
  • N-3A-13.jpg
    N-3A-13.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 453
  • N-3A-14.jpg
    N-3A-14.jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 440
  • N-3A-08.jpg
    N-3A-08.jpg
    931.2 KB · Views: 449

Clark J

One of he nices I've seen in a long time ! Where did you score that one ? Funny thing for as great it is wounder why the shoulder screen is so faded ? And it's still blue with no fading.

Dany McDonald

Local adds....And I too wonder why the colorfastness of the nylon resist so well while the shoulder transfer faded so much.

MikeyB-17

Nice! Main zip has been replaced-would have been a big paperclip Conmar. These blue ones weren’t around for very long. I believe this was a 1950 contract.

Pilot

Very nice! congrats.
Will list mine all original ( original zip an decal incl.) .
Have a N-2A as well.
Nice jackets... so far always under - valued.
Congrats.

ausreenactor

Nice get mate!

I rate the longer styles in cold, windy weather. Expect that extreme cold was the focus. Tianna has a Buzz Rickson. NEVER wears it. Constantly whines about being cold?

Geeboo

N3a.jpg

quite bulky when wearing it.IMO, main zip should match with side zip - in your case be blackened Brass 50's Conmar with a clip pull and a long nose. Cannot find Masland N3A, but have a N2A showing the use of that - that jkt is actually mine & a Real Mc
N3a.jpg
Coy Japan doing the same thing - so I believe that is the zipper to go for.
N3a_1.jpg
N3a_zipper1.JPG
N3a_zipper2.JPG
Hokaddio Apr2012 149_1.JPG

Last edited:

Pilot

Agree! The trim and the blue hood fur liner...
Saw a lot of replacements with synthetic material... Yak!

Smithy

That's lovely Dany and in good nick too. The blue nylon ones can go a purple/lilac colour from large amounts of UV exposure but that one looks excellent! Nice score.

Doctor Damage

Local adds....And I too wonder why the colorfastness of the nylon resist so well while the shoulder transfer faded so much.
Amazing find, and local too! I'm quite envious. I really like these N3A parkas for the exposed cuff knits and the drawstring accessible from outside, both features which I think look great and separate these from the more 'predictable' N3B parkas.

The USAF decal was basically painted on so rub it enough times and it will start to come off/fade, plus nylon isn't the best cloth for absorbing certain things. The colourfastness of the nylon is a completely different process.