• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Leather Jacket - Help!

917_k

Thought I recognised the jacket and one of the photos someone shared, Saunders Militaria (collector and seller of a whole array of awesome jackets) had one of these for sale a few years ago, seems from our expert Zeeky that he got the description wrong though:

Amazing looking jacket and one hell of a find. Personally I’d keep it and ditch the YKK zipper for something more interesting.

zeeky

Thought I recognised the jacket and one of the photos someone shared, Saunders Militaria (collector and seller of a whole array of awesome jackets) had one of these for sale a few years ago, seems from our expert Zeeky that he got the description wrong though:

Amazing looking jacket and one hell of a find. Personally I’d keep it and ditch the YKK zipper for something more interesting.

I could always be wrong, but there is sparse info I've seen to contradict.

HonestHat

It also looks like it sold it with that description.

HonestHat

I could always be wrong, but there is sparse info I've seen to contradict.

I think you are right. There are some buckles that don't seem to have any function on the jacket. People just took a glut of surplus pants and found something creative to do with them.

Nnatalie

Do any of you all know whether this pants to jacket conversion would have been done by individuals on a single jacket basis, or if some (maybe small) company would have purchased a batch and made them into jackets?

Also, this has just been a fascinating thread to read and follow...I would certainly not have thought that the jacket had once been pants when I first saw the picture!

917_k

It might be worth dropping these guys a message HonestHat:

They’re buyers & sellers of military & vintage clothing and are actually based in Sweden, so may have seen these jackets before and know something about them. They’ve been in the game a few decades, so know their stuff. Saunders Militaria May have a bit more info as well.

Either way I think you’ve ended up with a very nice jacket that’s possibly got some value to it.

Lord Flashheart

Well that's an interesting read. I always learn something here and that jacket does sound as though you won't see another one anytime soon. I'd certainly give it the benefit of the doubt as a keeper for the sheer novelty.

To chime in rather late......that's definitely a Swedish civil guard comm/signals rider jacket...... I've got a much later version in gray canvas with a near identical layout
It's not a "mall jacket" at all and could fetch quite a sum on the vintage militaria forums