• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Leather Jacket - Help!

MikeyB-17

Thanks for that. I didn’t know much about it, but it was the grey lining and the type of leather used for the straps which made me suspect it weren’t no mall jacket. For some reason it had a Swedish look to it. Was hoping somebody who actually knew what they were talking about would come along and put things straight. Is this is a common practice? What with HonestHat’s and the one I turned up, it’s clearly not a one-off example. Collectors of these things must be a bit thin on the ground I’d have thought?

Last edited:

HonestHat

Thank you for the info. Whoever made this jacket, they did an amazing job, I would have never thought these start life out as pants.

zeeky

Thanks for that. I didn’t know much about it, but it was the grey lining and the type of leather used for the straps which made me suspect it weren’t no mall jacket. For some reason it had a Swedish look to it. Was hoping somebody who actually knew what they were talking about would come along and put things straight. Is this is a common practice? What with HonestHat’s and the one I turned up, it’s clearly not a one-off example. Collectors of these things must be a bit thin on the ground I’d have thought?
yes, I'd say it's a niche hobby and I haven't met anyone else who is as strange as me I guess! here are my thoughts, sometime in the 1980's the Swedish offloaded a lot of their old coldwar surplus at dirt cheap prices (wasn't alive then so I can't vouch). people purchased the jackets way more than the pants. so, to get rid of all these pants the problem was probably solved by turning one into another and selling. the original/unpantisifed jackets (m/52 motorjacka) were big in the swedish chopper/veteran (scooter) scene, atleast that's what an old swede told me. I'm an American so I can't really comment. I do not believe these to be anything official as I haven't found a model designation for it and each iteration of these customs are slightly differing depending upon which model of pants.

Thank you for the info. Whoever made this jacket, they did an amazing job, I would have never thought these start life out as pants.
it's pretty ingenious. another jacket of this type is for sale on German Ebay for about 1700 USD conversely another one on ebay is 270 dollars. so, make of that what you will. the goatskin leather is fantastic, and I'm glad you saved it.

Boyo

You didn't ask ... But your wife is right... if you can get $300 for it sell it.. Quick

B-Man2

Wear it for a couple of weeks . If you start to get funny looks or you decide it’s not your style , send it on down the road . At least then you’ll know that you made the right choice, which ever way you go.

mulceber

Agreed. That jacket isn’t my particular style, but there’s nothing objectively wrong with it. The quality looks to be on point. If you like the style, wear it, and ignore the nay-sayers (except for wifey. Might want to try to get her on board).

HonestHat

Wear it for a couple of weeks . If you start to get funny looks or you decide it’s not your style , send it on down the road . At least then you’ll know that you made the right choice, which ever way you go.
Definitely, I have to give it a shot, rather do that than regret selling it later.

HonestHat

Yes- The wife has full veto power. She'll tolerate for a little while, as she did with my German Police motorcycle jacket from a few years ago. That one lasted a whole month but it was far less "busy" than this one.

B-Man2

I’m sorry guys but I must be very fortunate because my wife has her hobbies and does her thing and I have mine and do my thing . I feel bad for guys who have to clear this kind of thing with theIr wife and can only have a hobby with her approval . Now, before I get hammered for saying this, keep in mind it’s just an opinion and I’m not trying to start shit with any of you.

HonestHat

My wife is very supportive of my hobbies (more of a car / gun guy) and lets me run rampant with them. Leather jackets have not crossed the threshold into "hobby" territory (yet) That, and her fashion sense is way better than mine.

B-Man2

My wife is very supportive of my hobbies (more of a car / gun guy) and lets me run rampant with them. Leather jackets have not crossed the threshold into "hobby" territory (yet) That, and her fashion sense is way better than mine.
A Gun and car guy..... Welcome to the club!:);)

HonestHat

You can definitely see where are the parts came from in this picture.
Kpxst4R.jpg