• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Leather Jacket - Help!

HonestHat

I am a complete novice when it comes to leather jackets and I was hoping someone could help me. I'm not even sure what type of jacket it is.

Found at an estate sale - person running the sale knew nothing about it besides "her brother wore it in the 80's"

I can't find any label. The zipper is YKK

The tall narrow front pockets were what first drew me to it. The buttons on the bottom of the back for attaching to pants ?

Thank you for your time.
20200929_134241.jpg
20200929_134057.jpg
20200929_134059.jpg
20200929_134110.jpg
20200929_134129.jpg
20200929_134135.jpg
20200929_134138.jpg

mulceber

I don't recognize the jacket per se, but if it's got a YKK zipper, then it isn't older than the '80s.

B-Man2

A commercially produced fashion jacket( just as the other fellows have told you) Probably popular back in the 1980- 1990 time frame.
Nothing extraordinary or collectible, but if you like it wear it and enjoy it.

And welcome to the forum . Try hanging out here for a while and meeting some of us and seeing some great collectable and repro leather jackets.
Cheers

HonestHat

Random 1980's fashion jacket not even worth 50.00. I was way off, not so much the value as I wasn't really thinking about that, but the age and type. I feel kinda stupid for saving a Chess king jacket from the dumpster.

B-Man2

Random 1980's fashion jacket not even worth 50.00. I was way off, not so much the value as I wasn't really thinking about that, but the age and type. I feel kinda stupid for saving a Chess king jacket from the dumpster.
Nah!!. Don’t feel that way. You’ve taken the beginning steps to learning more about this hobby. Most of us started out learning about jackets in similar ways. The good news is ... if you stick around here you’ll learn a lot more than you will from pulling jackets out of dumpsters ;)

HonestHat

Nah!!. Don’t feel that way. You’ve taken the beginning steps to learning more about this hobby. Most of us started out learning about jackets in similar ways. The good news is ... if you stick around here you’ll learn a lot more than you will from pulling jackets out of dumpsters ;)
Well, I didn't pull it from the dumpster, but it was going there if i didn't buy it. 20.00 vs climbing around in a dirty dumpster any day.

HonestHat

Nice find! That is very close.. At the very least the Chess King designers used it as inspiration.

It is so "overbuilt" it wouldn't surprise me if it was military.

B-Man2

Well, I didn't pull it from the dumpster, but it was going there if i didn't buy it. 20.00 vs climbing around in a dirty dumpster any day.
My apologies HH . This does look like a special jacket . That’s one of the cool things about this forum. One mans opinion is just that , one opinion . However , given enough opinions we will get this sorted out. Looks like I was wrong, but Ive learned something new.
cheers

HonestHat

My apologies HH . This does look like a special jacket . That’s one of the cool things about this forum. One mans opinion is just that , one opinion . However , given enough opinions we will get this sorted out. Looks like I was wrong, but Ive learned something new.
cheers
No apologies are necessary. I came here to learn. I'm very thankful for all the info (and how quick it's coming)

HonestHat

a pocket on the arm and the position of the arm straps are the only differences I notice from photo of the Swedish jacket . It's definitely not as old as that one.

mulceber

Nice find! That is very close.. At the very least the Chess King designers used it as inspiration.

It is so "overbuilt" it wouldn't surprise me if it was military.

Where does Chess King come into this? I thought the jacket had no label.

HonestHat

It doesn't have a label.

Being a child of the 80's. Chess King was the only mall store that came to mind for selling cheap leather jackets at that time.

zeeky

hi, I can clarify for you. so what this is someone took a pair of pants issued to the MC-Ordonnans (swedish dispatch riders) in the 1950's and turned them into a jacket. on the sourced picture above that pocket on the forearm is where it is on the knee. people did these for the leather and gray cotton variants with nonremovable sherling liners for..fun I guess? the buttons are for leather suspenders. as for a maker? well, there was Oljon, Ö.S.B Örebro militärt utrustningar, Mats Larsson or Öje skinnbeklänad, but they all shared the same wool blanket liner so I can't say.

how do I know this? I'm a collector of these cold war swedish mc-ordonnans jackets and pants. as for value, this could be sold for a good amount actually.