• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery A2 jacket

Chevalier

Can anyone help me figure out who made this A2 jacket? I bought it at a local hospice thrift shop. Needless to say, I was not leaving without buying the jacket, despite the missing label. Too many signs of what seemed to be a serious A2 jacket were there: throat clasp, no hand warmer pockets, Talon zipper. Looking at some A2 identification sites, I thought it might be a Bronco or a Poughkeepsie, but the condition looks too good for it to be an original A2. I checked the pockets for additional labels, but no luck. Any resources or leads that anyone can give me are much appreciated. This one is definitely becoming part of my personal collection, so it would be nice to know info about maker and date.

Thanks!

508a33aec87175ee53164067068eaa51.jpg

c73cd20e253617ec303a8833d8125c1f.jpg

b66a06ca5eb931d78dbf08c65249dddc.jpg
964e89127e9828e28ece505cacffa5fa.jpg
b3c579da3daae351448705e55c91497d.jpg
46c41560fe283e7e300d54dab64fb488.jpg
2da025edde27be557dbdfde745b356e6.jpg
df3596ff0cd8b92df1077234a05d036a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dujardin

maybe just some repairs (change of zipper)
and some resew
that's why the stitching is a little bit strange

MikeyB-17

You got that in a charity shop? Stone me there's hope for us all. Pics of the whole jacket rather than just the details would help, but that ain't no repro. Good find! Collar looks a bit Dubow-ish to me, but I make a pillock of myself every time I try to ID an A-2.

Ken at Aero Leather

You got that in a charity shop? Stone me there's hope for us all.

Just recently a very special jacket made by me in 1970, with a ticket price of £200 / £300 back then, I forget the exact price and worth double that at least in today's 60's collectors market if it been put in ther right auction, got knocked down in a provincial auction for £30, so, yes, there are bargains out there still

No I didn't get the jacket, only found out about it after it was sold

Ken at Aero Leather

Re the colour of the stitching.
The top thread is Olive, The spool is filled with Rust thread (I've seen this two/tone before but I forget by which maker )
The top stitch on the zipper is done the lazy way (again there was a war on) where the topstitch is done with lining side up from the top of the zipper to the hem, so the external stitching on the zipper is actually the (less attractive) back stitch and the nicer stitch is inside the jacket
I've seen one or two of the repro makers using this method it saves time and requires less skill.
It's very obvious when two shades of thread are used

Chevalier

Thanks so much for the info so far. I’m still digesting all of it and being very careful with the jacket! Sorry for not posting full pictures initially. I thought the details would be more helpful in identifying the jacket. Here is a full front and back photo. I’m happy to take any other photos that help unravel the mystery. Again...thanks for all the wisdom and expertise here.
ec491e60ac1e71a32106ae9f602383e7.jpg
a8960584988736942044442e94ea91af.jpg

Chevalier

Thanks everyone! I have been intrigued by the A-2 because of all the postings I have been reading in the forums here. Honestly, I have been a bit overwhelmed by all the information available. It taught me enough, though, to know to buy this jacket when I saw it. I’m now officially bitten by the A-2 bug! I can focus better on Bronco now to learn more about this piece of history I am lucky enough to have found. Thanks again!

Silver Surfer

ahhhh, i just remembered that us a-2s were fitted with crown,, conmar, and talon zippers. if i am not mistaken, both broncos and us used small ring snaps.

Edward

Good googly moogly, that thang is juicy! thrift store? and just when I thought those days were over.... lucky you!

Garylafortuna

Ken, take a close look at the right shoulder on the back photo. There are no visible stitches but there is a defined sharp edge right behind the epaulet which may indicate a seam. Or not.

Last edited: