• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My USAAF set

ausreenactor

Here is my USAAF set that arrived a few days ago :
  • Type A-11 helmet manufactured in 1944 by J. G. Menihan Corporation (Specification No. 3189) in large size. It is in pretty good condition, complete. The receivers were made by The Rola Company, Inc. They are original to the helmet and were never removed nor replaced.
  • B-8 type goggles, with the original box (the name "Miller" is written on the box) and a pouch containing colored replacement screens and instructions for use.
  • A-14 oxygen mask, in average condition, the straps are cracked and fragile... does anyone know how to reinforce them ?

All this accompanied by my A-2 Dubow jacket (Bill Kelso) and my original Bulova A-11 watch.
I just have to find a mannequin to display the whole thing in my office. :)
Now I'm looking for a German "LKp N101" summer flight helmet... in case someone has one for sale. :rolleyes:

Let's see the pictures

View attachment 78785

View attachment 78786

View attachment 78787

View attachment 78788
Great collection of kit there!

littlebuddy

I didn't know there were two labels.
For me who doesn't know much about A-11 flight helmets, what made me hesitate was the number of snaps to attach the oxygen mask. At first I thought it was a rare AN-H-16... but it's definitely an A-11 !

Don't hesitate to add photos of your helmet with the white label. :)
The red on white label A11 is probably the best quality produced A11 bar none .
I do have a thing for A11 's

littlebuddy

Here are a few pics of the helmet with the white and red label. I saw it two weeks ago and was thrown off by the label so I went home and researched it. I found it was correct (as is yours) and the seller I holding it for me. I pick it up Friday on my way to a show. Like yours, I think the electronics are original to the piece and it’s in great shape.
Which website etc did you use for the A11 research ??

warguy

Carl, I was just doing a web search in general, and located a couple with the red and white label IIRC. There is however, a nice photo of the red and white label by this company on page 89 of Prodgers book “Vintage Flight Helmets”. I couldn’t agree with you more on the overall quality of the helmet. I almost messed up and passed up on it because of the confusion on the color of the label and the condition and quality of the leather. The seller was supposed to hold it for me for a bit while I did my research, but posted it on ebay in auction a day or two after I looked at it. I rushed my research and when I was confident it was a good one, I called him and made an offer he accepted and he cancelled the auction. Phew!

littlebuddy

Carl, I was just doing a web search in general, and located a couple with the red and white label IIRC. There is however, a nice photo of the red and white label by this company on page 89 of Prodgers book “Vintage Flight Helmets”. I couldn’t agree with you more on the overall quality of the helmet. I almost messed up and passed up on it because of the confusion on the color of the label and the condition and quality of the leather. The seller was supposed to hold it for me for a bit while I did my research, but posted it on ebay in auction a day or two after I looked at it. I rushed my research and when I was confident it was a good one, I called him and made an offer he accepted and he cancelled the auction. Phew!
J G Menihan had 2 contracts for the A11 helmet

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1657829900816.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657829900816.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 76
  • FB_IMG_1657829875665.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657829875665.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 90

littlebuddy

What is of note between the 2 Menihan contracts is the difference of the nape strap between the 2 contracts .
The 3178 order had an elastic strap style whereas the 6550 order had a leather strap and buckle type nape adjuster .
FB_IMG_1657832017120.jpg
FB_IMG_1657831981670.jpg

FB_IMG_1657829900816.jpg
FB_IMG_1657829875665.jpg