• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riggs5893

Hi,

As promised in my new member introduction, here are a few photo's of my Star Sportswear G1 Jacket which looks almost unworn (although a name tag has previously been removed along with a sleeve patch so maybe just looked after well). As you can see the leather, lining, fur and label are all in amazing condition.

Also attached is my Irvin B. Foster which I made into what I believe to be one of the most screen accurate Top Gun versions out there. Cockpit USA's version has the wrong patches both by size, wording, placement and colours so I hunted down as many original patches as I could, then had replicas made for those which escaped me. As you can see the placement, colours, wording and detail of the patches is just like the movie version. It even had the opportunity to be used in some Top Gun Maverick work/company advertisements.

Star Sportswear Jacket

IMG_7459.jpg
IMG_7466.jpg

IMG_7462.jpg
IMG_7468.jpg
IMG_7461.jpg
IMG_7463.jpg

Top Gun Jacket (Irvin B. Foster)

IMG_7469.jpg
IMG_7471.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7469.jpg
    IMG_7469.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 209

Grant

Cool Vietnam War era G-1's! Your Star is in amazing condition. If you're a size 42 and into Vietnam era G-1's, stick with collecting originals. There are still a lot of sold original options out there in our size that are superior to a repro, and still affordable. And if you ever need restoration work done on an original, we have two members here who do incredible work.

BTW, have you patched up the back of your Foster to emulate Cruise's jacket? I remember the controversy over the jacket in the sequel with the flags of Taiwan, Japan and the Galveston cruise removed, supposedly not to upset China's communist government censors.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-sparks-controversy-tom-cruise-jacket-1225993

Riggs5893

Cool Vietnam War era G-1's! Your Star is in amazing condition. If you're a size 42 and into Vietnam era G-1's, stick with collecting originals. There are still a lot of sold original options out there in our size that are superior to a repro, and still affordable. And if you ever need restoration work done on an original, we have two members here who do incredible work.

BTW, have you patched up the back of your Foster to emulate Cruise's jacket? I remember the controversy over the jacket in the sequel with the flags of Taiwan, Japan and the Galveston cruise removed, supposedly not to upset China's communist government censors.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-sparks-controversy-tom-cruise-jacket-1225993
Grant, Yeah I'm looking daily for originals in 42 but haven't been lucky enough yet to find one in as good as a condition as the Star Sportswear for that money (£180!!). However now I have my new contacts amongst you all here and I know other ones can be worked on with care, then I have no excuses now haha.

As for the rear of the jacket, yep its all patched up but I've kept the original Galveston patch on there. I do actually own the new patch too but I can't bring myself to change over, especially because of the reports as to why it was changed. I'll keep it as the classic look I think (see below).

IMG_7477.jpg
IMG_7474.jpg

Riggs5893

Beautiful jackets, and that Star is in spectacular condition. Where did you get the Topgun cap?
Hi Greg, the cap was actually given to me after I did some work for the Maverick promotions. There were actual TG Maverick badged caps floating around too but I liked the one in the picture so was happy to settle for that.

mulceber

Agreed with all that's been said above - I'm really glad you didn't patch the Star, as it's just about pristine. The patches on the Foster look great though.

B-Man2

Riggs5893

Agreed with all that's been said above - I'm really glad you didn't patch the Star, as it's just about pristine. The patches on the Foster look great though.
Yeah that one is definitely staying as is. The Foster isn't in the same condition (still decent but not mint) so I took the leap - plus I wasn't paying $900 for an inaccurate version from somewhere like Cockpit.

MikeyB-17

I seem to recall we established at some point what contract/maker Cruise's jacket actually was, but it might be just the drugs.

Riggs5893

I seem to recall we established at some point what contract/maker Cruise's jacket actually was, but it might be just the drugs.
Oh really? That would be interesting to know. I don't think I've ever had a definitive answer and I even spoke to Wingate Jones who was part of the Top Gun wardrobe and he couldn't remember either. Any info like that would be great to hear to clear up a 34yr old mystery.

MikeyB-17

Don’t get your hopes up, I remember it being discussed but that doesn’t mean anything conclusive was arrived at. I am frequently wrong, as many will testify. :)