• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Skyline Corp MA1?

johnwayne

67879810-AEFC-439B-AC6E-66C9FDA7A715.jpeg
Bought this for a pretty cheap price about 3 years ago and love it. Superbly warm and far weightier compared say to my Alpha 80’s alternative.
I used a ? in my thread title because the label is poorly sewn in the left pocket but barely readable and there appears to be no obvious stitch marks if there had been one in the usual position. There’s a few moth holes but the patches are professionally sewn on. Any MA1 aficionado’s here hazard a guess as to its age - I thought 60’s but the label being sewn in as is gives me doubts and I question if the bright orange lining ages it in anyway? The previous Rolen thread with green lining and usaf shoulder decal also makes me doubt its credibility! Perfect fit though and as said I love it so not bothered just curious!!!

MikeyB-17

I would say 60’s-most of the Skylines I’ve seen were from that era and I don’t recall seeing any later. The label was in the pocket at that time. If it’s heavy, probably a wool interlining, which was replaced in the 70’s, and far warmer. I had a ‘65 Alpha, bloody great jacket.

Wz1999

I am pretty sure this is 8279C made by Skyline in 1961. The front main zipper is a two-sided jumbo Crown. It is an example of the first model with the reversable lining of the "resue orange" color.

johnwayne

Thanks for the response chaps! Hard to believe it would have left the manufacturers with such a crude poorly sewn label, now so feint I didn’t bother taking a pic!
Always hankered after a green MA1 after seeing Steve McQueen in The Hunter!!

Rutger

The 71st FIS never was part of the 10th TRW. I doubt someone assigned to either the 10th or the 71st would wear simultaneously both patches while these units were never together. I believe naval aviators would do that. Until they ran out of space I assume.
Both patches do look ok, googling will yield undoubtedly some very good pictures of original patches which you can compare with those on the jacket. Original patches often can be recognized by the cheese cloth backing, but nowadays that is also used in aged reproductions, so check any patch in its entirety: cheese cloth, type of stitching, type of thread, thickness, edge type, overall appearance. Comparing with a true original works best. Duh...open door....
Nice jacket though! I won't leave my 2 cents for that as the more knowledgable already helped you out.

johnwayne

I did wonder about the patches and while both are legit I confess I didn't investigate for long to see if they were ‘connected’! Also, as touched on, after seeing the previous Rolen thread it made me wonder why/if theres a USAF decal would you patch over it? Its nicely sewn so Im not inclined to undo it. Its credibility re the unconnected patches doesn’t bother me but mystifying!! Thanks again for the responses guys - how valuable this forum is at times is fantastic!!!