• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My SimmonsBilt x Burg&Schild Tailgunner thread

Showerfan

I’ve decided to start a thread to show what I’ll do to get a perfect fitting, perfectly designed motorcycle jacket. It’s not easy for me, as I’m all kinds of weird shapes — I’m 6’3, 200 lbs, but all of my length is in my limbs and all of my weight is in my torso. So i need a 46-inch chest but like 28-inch sleeves and... oh well, you understand. I’ve found a jacket from a store here in Berlin that I love, called the Tailgunner, built by SimmonsBilt in Horween Lux HH. I think it’s slightly different than the standard SB Tailgunner, as the store, Burg & Schild, made some changes like a little extra length in the sleeves and body and it has a shirt-tail style back, which I love for riding. It also seems to be more tapered than the stock SB version, but I’m not sure.

I want to make some changes, like adding a wind-flap behind the zipper, changing the hardware to brass, and maybe adding snaps under the collars to keep them down at speed. I definitely will need a little more length in the sleeves, may need to take in the shoulders an inch, and might ask them how the jacket fits without the taper, if it is indeed taken in at the waist. I’ve decided to buy the jacket from Burg & Schild here, and wear it for a few months to decide exactly what alterations need to be made, and then I will ask Debs and Steve to make me the perfect version based on that. Please tell me what you think about the fit! Thanks, Matt
FAFBCCE7-EF27-4DB7-96A6-83594F5B4F05.jpeg
52AC9AFB-4058-49E1-A2A5-AF6FCE222B40.jpeg
C2CD88A4-E183-48D2-8FB0-5456880B47D5.jpeg
77C114A4-B253-4ED0-9AB0-8D13CE919B42.jpeg
D3A9BE14-3BC7-429E-BAFA-646C83778AAA.jpeg
0B4CE93E-CADA-41F6-9447-AA091B3C6BEF.jpeg

Last edited:

Showerfan

Well, it is a three-pocket leather jacket with a collar. But I think it’s much more fitted than a Highwayman, plus the back has gussets and the sleeves have zips. Maybe more similar to the Thurston Brothers Sheene but with a different back, which I find key for riding motorcycles with a reach to the bars.

I wanted a simple, cafe style jacket, but with the gussets and with a collar. I have a million jackets with the shorter, mandarin collar and I realized recently that I hate riding with those, as they always dig into my neck. Anyway, you think the shoulders are too big?

Last edited:

Micawber

Looks good to me, better with wear and it's had time to mold to you. With the greatest of respect it would look much, much better if you tucked ya shirt in ;)

No offence intended.

Showerfan

Haha — you’re right about both things. I didn’t think about my shirt until after. I’m all alone here, with only my dog as photographer’s assistant!