• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Second B-3 Jacket (from Aero this time) - Fit advice welcome!

Hi.
So a while back I posted a thread asking for fit advice for my first b3 jacket from Simmons Bilt.
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...t-fit-advice-welcome.21897/page-6#post-222826

I decided that the jacket was too short and had it sent back for a refund.
Now Ken from Aero has agreed to make a B3 for me. It arrived yesterday.
I'd like to know what you guys think about the fit?

The jacket itself is incredibly warm and heavy. Smells perfect.

The only gripe I have atm is that when viewing from the side, there is a noticeable 'bulge' starting from the shoulder area, as you can see in the 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures. This makes me look as if I have a hunchback or something similar.

Those who have a B3, can you tell if this bulge is normal? Maybe it will go away as the leather gets broken in, I don't know. I didn't have this bulge with the previous SB's B3, though.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

ties70

Dragon,

looks like a perfect jacket to me!

Yes, the jacket is "bulging" at the back, but: You are wearing a brand new, not worn in, high-quality, thick sheepskin jacket....there is no way a jacket like that will drape around your body like a tailor-made suit!
If you go online and search for "War Lover" you will get lots of pictures of Steve McQueen wearing his B-3...and old, worn to pieces jacket. And even that one shows the bulging:

War Lover 1.jpg

McQueen 2.jpg

I think it is the correct pattern of the B-3, if your Simmons Bilt didn't have that, well, maybe that was due to the faulty pattern used...

As I said, looks great to me!

Ties

Cocker

Fit looks bang on! I wouldn't worry about that bulge in the back neither, it's not meant to be a trim fitting jacket.

Micawber

It's fine. Check the numerous photos on here showing guys who actually wore them in combat - tell you what I'll post a couple of original images from the 91st Bomb Group H at Bassingbourn below.

Just wear the hell out of it.

It's a reasonably loose fitting item of flight clothing designed to fit over layers to do a job in adverse conditions. It's a work garment, the arms need to be able to have freedom of movement hence the shape.

Wear it, break it in and don't fret.

Ike visit 11 Nov 44.jpg
SP01.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

The jacket looks perfect on you, honestly. Don’t over think it, just wear it as much as possible and it will soften up and break in.

Ken at Aero Leather

Hi.
So a while back I posted a thread asking for fit advice for my first b3 jacket from Simmons Bilt.
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...t-fit-advice-welcome.21897/page-6#post-222826

I decided that the jacket was too short and had it sent back for a refund.
Now Ken from Aero has agreed to make a B3 for me. It arrived yesterday.
I'd like to know what you guys think about the fit?

The jacket itself is incredibly warm and heavy. Smells perfect.

The only gripe I have atm is that when viewing from the side, there is a noticeable 'bulge' starting from the shoulder area, as you can see in the 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures. This makes me look as if I have a hunchback or something similar.

Those who have a B3, can you tell if this bulge is normal? Maybe it will go away as the leather gets broken in, I don't know. I didn't have this bulge with the previous SB's B3, though.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Looks great.................Pull the side straps in another notch, it'll look even better