My search is over...

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by tjoenn, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

Beautiful jacket. It’s been re-issued post WW2, probably for the Korean conflict, as the decals are US Air Force, rather than the Army Air Forces decals of WW2.

2. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Looks like the zipper or the zipper puller was replaced at some point in its life.

3. tjoenn

tjoenn Well-Known Member

That made me curious of course... how can you tell?

4. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

then zipper puller is post WW2. As long as it works - terrific!!!!!

5. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Why do you say it is a replaced zip puller?

It is the original worn M-40 Kwik zipper slider/puller. They also had Conmar zips fitted to jackets from this contract.

Grant likes this.
  6. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Yep agree with Andrew. Gary mentions this zip info in his book for the this contract/order Cable contract.

Roughwear likes this.
  7. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

I reviewed Gary Eastman's book and I stand corrected. Thanks Andrew and Grant.
    My apologies Tjoenn.

Grant likes this.
  8. Roughwear

In this hobby we are all learning something most days.

9. tjoenn

tjoenn Well-Known Member

No problem! I'm a novice and just very impressed with the mountain of knowledge in here. All I can say is that I'm the most knowledgeable in the office and that doesn't say much!

10. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

tjoenn,
    Kwik zips in an A-2 are rare, so take good care of it.
    For what it's worth, when using any original zip I'm always careful zipping/un-zipping so as not to put un-needed wear to it, specially the male end of the zip starter.

Oh yeah, and you got yourself a sweet original there, well done!

Geeboo and Roughwear like this.
  11. tjoenn

tjoenn Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll try to remember to be careful. The zipper feels so much better than the crown zippers on my retros, but I will of course always have in mind that the jacket is 76 years old.

12. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

you bet your----, its original. you can source talons, conmars, and crowns, for a price. kwiks? rarely, if ever do they show up. so, as grant wrote, be careful with it. and, yeah, the original kwiks run smooth as a gravy sandwich.

13. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Yep, noticed the same thing between Eastman reproduction Crowns and originals; original Crowns are always smooth as silk.

Geeboo likes this.
  14. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

correct, looked post-war to me at first w/o checking reference - oh well...........

15. YoungMedic

YoungMedic Member

Looks like it was made for you! Congrats!

16. R-975

R-975 New Member

Hello Tjoenn

Your jacket looks great. That's the kind of fit I will be looking for (i.e. reasonably close-fitting rather than baggy). If you don't mind me asking, how many inches over your actual chest measurement is your jacket's measurement?

Mike

17. tjoenn

tjoenn Well-Known Member

Hi Mike! Thanks for your comment! I'm extremely happy with this jacket, wore it yesterday as temperatures are finally starting to head towards double digits. My actual chest measurement is 40 inches and the jacket is about 21.5 inches pit to pit, so if my math is correct, it's 3 inches over.

flightlanks likes this.
  18. R-975

R-975 New Member

Hello! Thanks for your reply. That's very helpful as it gives me an idea of size and fit for me. I think ideally I'll need 21" armpit to armpit as I'm a fraction over 39" chest, but a bit over wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again,

Mike

19. Roughwear

It is a Cable Raincoat A-2. Most people do not refer to them as "bomber jackets" on VLJ.

flightlanks likes this.
  20. Roughwear

Welcome to VLJ Flightlanks. Perhaps you would like to post about yourself in the biography section? There are hundreds of threads to read through which would help you build up your knowledge base.