My repro WWII blue N1 deck jacket

Discussion in 'Cloth' started by Geeboo, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Geeboo

Geeboo Well-Known Member

Originals are scarce, very very scarce & should be expensive. So, here my go, I make one myself. It is so scarce that even you search for "original blue N1"/ "WWII blue N1 jacket" etc... in goggle for just an image - there is nothing available !! not to mention the jacket. It is not seen in eBay for at least the past 2 years.
    fur comparison.jpg original N1_1.jpg real alpaca.jpg
    1st thing is material.
    I managed to get a true color, 24 wales jungle cloth in dark navy , exactly the same as the original - see the color the original. I don't blow as some said in their website, I post pictures !
    Zippers & knits are from Mash. I ordered the olive color zip which is a M43 which is found to be identical to the originals; I will paint the cotton tape into navy. Old McCoy used Mash's blue version M43 which is without the "3" marking in the zipper box & is chrome-finished - not correct mash zipper - NA- Blue.jpg
    The highlight - The real 100% Alpaca lining. The alpaca lining are found to be all different in 3 versions of N1 jkts. the comparison of lining & zipper is done by a seasoned Taiwanese collector - most of you might not have seen it before.
    It took me 1 whole year to search for the right lining & have bought several non-complying/ not up to standard lining - just wasted :<
    Without getting the exact materials right, I had been putting this project on hold.

The blue's have the longest fur & found to be ALL BROWN in color -no grayish or olive drabish. You can see the grayish 30% alpaca lining in Almost most Buzz repro - it is dead wrong.
    The 2nd pattern olive N1 have olive drabish lining and the latter N1 [ most common, without cuff] are with shortest fur length & is grayish in color - see attached.
    I searched very very hard for the CORRECT color 100% alpaca lining for the blue N1 & finally I find one !
    Enjoy the pictures & will post when it will be finished.
    I also custom made [ order] a label with my own drawing closest possible to the original label found.
    That is a costs- not -a -matter project , full force project, I am expecting an authenticity level on par with vintage McCoy blue N1 [new McCoy no good] or ABOVE. I have an original 2nd pattern N1 to copy the pattern. I will check, measure & compare for AT LEAST 100 times for the details of the photos of the originals before execution.
    20181029_142900_1.jpg
    20180731_020222-1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Geeboo

Geeboo Well-Known Member

A bit more about my killer strike - the lining.
    The real 100% alpaca lining should be double faced.
    See an original lining, possibly taken from an early USN overcoat [NXss22342] sold earlier in Ebay, especially for the underside & compared with the lining offered by Bronson/ BD's N1 - they are not Alpaca but mostly wool -while their face might look "similar", their underside is drastically different - sort of a polyester based woven material.:)
    real alpaca_1.jpg real alpaca_2.jpg real alpaca_3.jpg
    RMC label.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  3. falcon_ib

falcon_ib Well-Known Member

Outstanding level of research and devotion to details. I can't wait to see the finished product!

4. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

Nice job! Will you take a pattern from your later original?
    Dave

Geeboo likes this.
  5. Geeboo

Geeboo Well-Known Member

Yes Dave.
    Based on it, have a minor adaption to my own fit while try my VERY best to strike a balance of maintaining its main features in cutting & my adaption - i hope" it "should" retain the major cutting characteristics of the original - while at the same time fit me.

dmar836 likes this.
  6. zoomer

zoomer Well-Known Member

Geeboo, I applaud your scruples in getting things right. You ought to be in business at the connoisseur end of the market.

7. dujardin

dujardin Well-Known Member

great post
    thanks

i love this jacket

Geeboo likes this.
  8. Shane005

Shane005 New Member

Great post!
    If any one like to buy jackets and want to get discount and other offers so just buying through this store Tottenham hotspur promotional code and get exclusive discount and coupons.

thanks

9. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

looking forward to your progress pengyou

10. Geeboo

Geeboo Well-Known Member

Here is the finished product I received today. Stencil to add. The 1st pic is true color. This is made of 24 wales jungle cloth & 100% 2-side alpaca - same as original.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg View attachment 13423
    9.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Monsoon, jack31916, falcon_ib and 6 others like this.
  11. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

Very impressive.

Geeboo likes this.
  12. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

Splendid

Geeboo and Flightengineer like this.
  13. Kennyz

Kennyz Active Member

Geeboo likes this.
  14. Brent

Brent Active Member

Nice work.

Regards,

Geeboo likes this.
  15. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Geeboo
    That’s some fine attention to detail.
    Very impressive.

Geeboo likes this.
  16. falcon_ib

falcon_ib Well-Known Member

Amazing work Tommy!

Geeboo likes this.
  17. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

How does the cost of your commissions compare with say Buzz Rickson or Bronson?

18. Geeboo

Geeboo Well-Known Member

I usu. commission when the costs of it are about or less than 1/3 of the costs of an Original. Since the mkt px of original blue N1 is much expensive, my costs is less than 1/3. It is about 1/2 of a new BR or 3 times a Bronson.

ausreenactor likes this.
  19. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Well-Known Member

OUTSTANDING Geeboo .

BIP

Geeboo likes this.
  20. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Well-Known Member

Amazing!!!

Geeboo likes this.