• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My repro of US WWII AAF layered leather patch

Miro

Army Air Force leyered leather patch.
Cheers

IMG_8524.jpeg

IMG_8525.jpeg

IMG-8720.jpg

Also one example of WWII USAAC patch that I made

7D5D5AB1-B970-4408-ABA3-E6F7E6A529B5 (1).jpeg

Yardstick

Very nicely executed.

One little piece of feedback is that most originals were made of quite thin goatskin (0.6mm or thinner). If you are after that authentic look, then that's the way to go. This could be smooth or pebbly in texture and sometimes suede was used as well. All of these are readily available from eBay or a good leather merchant. My theory is that shoulder patches were made up using scrap from larger patches - which is exactly what I use.

Here are a few examples that I have made up using those materials.

IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg

Last edited:

Miro

Very nicely executed.

One little piece of feedback is that most originals were made of quite thin goatskin (0.6mm or thinner). If you are after that authentic look, then that's the way to go. This could be smooth or pebbly in texture and sometimes suede was used as well. All of these are readily available from eBay or a good leather merchant. My theory is that shoulder patches were made up using scrap from larger patches - which is exactly what I use.

Here a few examples that I have made up using those materials.

View attachment 64520View attachment 64521

Realy nice work buddy. I did my the best I could and leather I found. Not all were made of thin leather.

I saw many examples on net and books, many different ways and different thicknes of leather.
I like this one, specialy shape of wings.

Working on CBI shoulder right now, will post photo in few days.

Cheers

Yardstick

Realy nice work buddy. I did my the best I could and leather I found. Not all were made of thin leather.

I saw many examples on net and books, many different ways and different thicknes of leather.
I like this one, specialy shape of wings.

Working on CBI shoulder right now, will post photo in few days.

Cheers

No problems mate, just wanted to pass on my own observations from 20 plus years trying to replicate the look of the original patches. Now I look again at the shoulder patch, I realise it’s from the Neilson jacket which is one of my favourites of all time. In fact I liked it so much I made up my own version of this very same jacket (also managed to get hold of a decent repro USA 48 star flag and blood chit from Ken @Aero Leather). As I recall I also went with cow hide for the AAF & CBI shoulder patches based on the pics of the jacket, although goat was by far the most common leather used in the theatre. When I next have it out I’ll take some pics - don’t have any good ones currently.

I look forward to seeing your CBI patches - there are lots of interesting variations out there.

Last edited: