• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New What Price Glory Irvin

Technonut2112

Most average folks would need to be rid of more than likely 3/4 of their household goods (at least here in the States) if they had issue with imports from countries where working conditions were considered poor... Just saying.. ;)

Tommy

Which is why American Manufacturing, which was at one stage the most powerful in the World, is now so weak.

Ken has made his point quite brutally, but he is right. I'm try pretty hard to buy from ethical manufacturers or buy vintage/ second hand. Every time I try to buy new and cheap, it turns out to be a disaster.

Technonut2112

And I try pretty hard to be honest with myself, and not sanctimonious. I simply am not in the financial position I once was 10 years ago, when I was purchasing only jackets made in the USA, from Aero, bespoke from here & other countries, etc.. I shop for groceries at my local Walmart now instead of Whole Foods (I do miss the better organic food however), and do the best I can to maintain my penchant for vintage-style clothing with my wallet leading the way.

It is frankly cheeky to even open this sort of discussion in the OP's thread, especially when a certain business owner used to sell imported A-2's as a 'budget-line' in their own shop... ;)

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Aero were guilty to having one run of A-2s made in India in around 1999, in our defence we sent an operative over to oversee both working conditions and quality in equal measures.
We used the "Made in India" tag at the head of the listing almost as a selling point, if I recall correctly "Budget Type A-2 Made In India"
Although we felt that we doing customers a favour offering a starter Aero at half price, ulimately we decided it wasn't right for us.
Only last week we turned down the opportunity to have our Comforts Sweaters hand knitted in India despite the superb quailty available and the fact that our Scottish knitters can't keep up with the demand.
Incidentaly we were shown the sample before we were told where it was made, we didn't go looking for third world and get cold feet.

I appologise if you think I'm being cheeky asking where these were made, but I don't appologise for my opinions

MeachamLake

Aero were guilty to having one run of A-2s made in India in around 1999, in our defence we sent an operative over to oversee both working conditions and quality in equal measures.
We used the "Made in India" tag at the head of the listing almost as a selling point, if I recall correctly "Budget Type A-2 Made In India"
Although we felt that we doing customers a favour offering a starter Aero at half price, ulimately we decided it wasn't right for us.
Only last week we turned down the opportunity to have our Comforts Sweaters hand knitted in India despite the superb quailty available and the fact that our Scottish knitters can't keep up with the demand.
Incidentaly we were shown the sample before we were told where it was made, we didn't go looking for third world and get cold feet.

I appologise if you think I'm being cheeky asking where these were made, but I don't appologise for my opinions

I think that's the right decision for your business Ken. I don't have any qualms about buying stuff made overseas in the slightest, but part of the charm of your products is the fact they're made here in the UK. I certainly don't mind paying the extra money for that fact - knowing that it's going to a UK based business who is giving proper careers to local people is alright in my book!

I must say though, the quality of some of the stuff coming out of China in particular is incredibly impressive. Suitsupply's top line of suits is all made in China, and the level of quality and attention to detail - a lot of it done by hand - is unsurpassed for the price. For a mass market brand, it's remarkable. Some of the factories are now making better Neapolitan tailoring than the factories in Italy!

CBI

A windy day:

IMG_0552.jpg
IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg

Monsoon

Yeah, I know that the TCNs (Third Country Nationals) in the Middle East don't have it easy where they are working, but comparing them to concentration inmates working at places like the Lodz Ghetto? WTF?

And CBI? Great looking jacket. I'm not an Irvin fan, but yours looks nice.

johnwayne

I hate it when this forum gets political - one of the main reasons I come here is to take myself off into a self-indulgent place and get me away from the constant crap that's going on around the world, please don't deny me that and let's stick to our shared passion/interest. Thank you

Ken at Aero Leather

I hate it when this forum gets political - one of the main reasons I come here is to take myself off into a self-indulgent place and get me away from the constant crap that's going on around the world, please don't deny me that and let's stick to our shared passion/interest. Thank you

Fair enough..................

Spitfireace

The WPG Irvin is based on a 1941 Wareings design. It s remarkably good value for the money. The skin is superb and so similar to many originals. Change the zips with Wartime Dots or Lightnings and the belt buckle and it would be almost perfect!
Just out of curiosity where would you find zips like that? Checking eBay reveals nothing and I know MASH Japan doesn't have them they only have US zippers.

Roughwear

Dot or Lightning zips are not easy to find unless you buy a wrecked original Irvin jacket or a pair of Irvin trousers. Sidcot suit liners are good for sleeve zips.