• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New SM Wholesale A-2

CBI

With no intention of really ever buying another A-2 jacket I somehow ended up with this website photo sample A-2 jacket from SM Wholesale. Steve is a character and good salesman! I need to shorten the sleeves a bit and I am a sucker for DARK seal. Ok guys fire away...........

I love this jacket, 2oz seal brown aniline dyed goatskin, I have not handled nicer goat - superb. Great details, nice hardware, great WW2 vibe. IMO, if this jacket were $1,200 it would be worth but at $499 retail - wow!

There is NOTHING about this jacket for me that says, "mid-range" or "starter" jacket. Pretty amazing really. Steve has a great eye. It's not based on any specific A-2 contact, he is not interested in that and feels its a waste of time as interested buyers would just ask for a different contract - this is true! "Hey nice Aero, when are you going to make a Dubow?" He did agree and is going to change the pocket height from 2 inches above the knits to 1 inch. If you order, be sure to remind him. I don't mind the current placement. Not too far off the Cooper in Gary's book. He is keeping the current label since the jacket is not based on any specific contract and its his product and he is proud of it. The lining is excellent - I should have taken a photo...........

I am not trying to take anything away from any makers but IMO there is very little that sets this apart from the premium makers. If you are looking at saving some $, this is it. I can't attest to the other models/hides. I can get some fit pics but they will look odd until I address the sleeves (always an issue for me). Also, I am 44 regular, this jacket is a 46 so for VLJ, FL and Japanese/Heritage tastes, its roomy. But, I am flying a bit now and can attest that this trim fit business is total BS considering these were supposed to be flying garments.

This weekend, SM Wholesale is offering 15% off all orders. Yes, I know there are a few little things that will drive the OCD'rs screaming but a total winner IMO and for the price, not sure anything else comes close. Oh, and no interest getting into an AVI LTR vs. SMW argument, leave that to another thread. As stated before, hides tanned in Mexico, jacket made in Mexico. Made by the fellow who used to work for Steve in the states. Steve made one of these for A list Movie Star "X" today for an upcoming film. Steven made most all of the Navy stuff for the new Tom Hanks Atlantic WW2 film "Greyhound" Don't get me wrong, this is not a Good Wear but if one wants to wear an awesome looking WW2 A-2 repro with lots of authenticity, one could wear one of these and live a perfectly fulling jacket life.....and then ideally move on to another hobby!

IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0616.jpg
IMG_0615.jpg
IMG_0613.jpg
IMG_0612.jpg
IMG_0610.jpg

Last edited:

CBI

gosh, the tailor is going to take for ever to get the sleeves fixed. Getting them shortened by 1 1/2 inches. will do some fit pics then. With all the talk about wanting cheaper options, surprised there is not more traffic about these but that's OK. Yes, with goat, not as much grain as HH or cow.

ButteMT61

I guess this can't go worser than it did on TFL...you ran into the nutter again I see.
That's why I gave up on that place. Almost every negative thread you can bet on one guy mostly being the fire starter...

CBI

yes, agreed, I finished that thread - at least I am done. I don't care except that it takes away from the OP about a jacket. I have 5 new jackets (both new and/or new to me) worth posting but not if it goes like that. I guess this saves me time in the end!

Brettafett

Very nice jacket CBI, I can certainly attest that SMW makes a good jacket. Sturdy and neat, all the details are there. I'd still have mine if it fit me better, maybe I was just unlucky.
I'd give another a go, if it weren't for import costs into the UK. Looking forward to fit pics!
(yes, become rather disappointed about how some of those threads ended up... I considered throwing in the whole review-thing myself - but have had many guys messaging asking for more info about my jackets... quite a few guys posting positive comments, so thanks for that y'all...)
CBI, please post away, would be good to see your other jackets, let the nay-sayers make their noise... Some us appreciate the experiences of others.

Smithy

I'd give another a go, if it weren't for import costs into the UK.

I think that's the kicker for us in the UK and Europe, shipping and import duties are hefty. I bought a couple of things from ATF last year as I love their stuff but holy bloody moly!

I really like the looks of the SM A-2 but it probably makes more sense for me here in Norway to go with AVI LTHR as I'll save a bundle on shipping.

Silver Surfer

a review is a review, is a review, is a review. perhaps if wanted by some, a separate forum-thread should be engaged about "socially conscious" repro makers instead of hijacking review threads. could be fun, ie: i just got pilots gloves made by xxxx, but really they were made by child gnomes in betchawanna land, blah, blah, blah.

Persimmon

a review is a review, is a review, is a review. perhaps if wanted by some, a separate forum-thread should be engaged about "socially conscious" repro makers instead of hijacking review threads. could be fun, ie: i just got pilots gloves made by xxxx, but really they were made by child gnomes in betchawanna land, blah, blah, blah.

Well just don’t tell Ken ....