• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new GW 27752

A

Anonymous

front_back_full.jpg

collar_details.jpg

epaulet.jpg

pocket.jpg

relaxed.jpg

Here are some photos of my new Goodwear RW 27752 taken by a proficient photographer and model. (I'll get some of me wearing it soon). Needless to say- I find this is my favorite Goodwear so far- so many nuances of this Roughwear contract are captured perfectly including the slightly pointy (for a RW) collar tips, the OD thread, the slightly short pocket flaps and especially THE EPAULETS! No one else has captured the mysterious Roughwear epaulet better than John and especially on this jacket. They are quintessential Roughwear and that is not easy to recreate because the mechanics of making a RW epaulet are so subtle. If I said more I'd be giving away trade secrets! :) What's cool about this jacket is that when worn it looks like an average A-2- no potato-sack body or droopy shoulders which characterized RW repros in the past. The leather is stunning- aniline finished seal brown which looks like a typical darkish WW2 brown- it does have a subtle sheen but no heavy polystyrene overcoat like other RWs I've had. The leather feels luxurious to the touch. My favorite repro so far- another perfect repro!

rotenhahn said:
front_back_full.jpg

collar_details.jpg

epaulet.jpg

pocket.jpg

relaxed.jpg

Here are some photos of my new Goodwear RW 27752 taken by a proficient photographer and model. (I'll get some of me wearing it soon). Needless to say- I find this is my favorite Goodwear so far- so many nuances of this Roughwear contract are captured perfectly including the slightly pointy (for a RW) collar tips, the OD thread, the slightly short pocket flaps and especially THE EPAULETS! No one else has captured the mysterious Roughwear epaulet better than John and especially on this jacket. They are quintessential Roughwear and that is not easy to recreate because the mechanics of making a RW epaulet are so subtle. If I said more I'd be giving away trade secrets! :) What's cool about this jacket is that when worn it looks like an average A-2- no potato-sack body or droopy shoulders which characterized RW repros in the past. The leather is stunning- aniline finished seal brown which looks like a typical darkish WW2 brown- it does have a subtle sheen but no heavy polystyrene overcoat like other RWs I've had. The leather feels luxurious to the touch. My favorite repro so far- another perfect repro!

A REALLY BEAUTIFUL AND EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!

This model will be my next purchase!

Thanks for your informative posting, sir!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rotenhahn said:
Needless to say- I find this is my favorite Goodwear so far- so- ...
... My favorite repro so far- another perfect repro!

Many patient members are thinking of the waiting list, and praying this is true. :)

havocpaul

[/quote]

Many patient members are thinking of the waiting list, and praying this is true. :)[/quote]

Looks really nice, hope it's a keeper. If I was on that ever-growing long waiting list I'd be getting a little peeved at the number that very quickly end of for resale!

HHjackets

rotenhahn said:
relaxed.jpg

... or droopy shoulders which characterized RW repros in the past...

im no expert, but how do you define "not droopy shoulder", unless it's the angle or the jacket is not the right size or this 27552 has a particular cut, the shoulders look droopy here.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
HHjackets said:
im no expert, but how do you define "not droopy shoulder", unless it's the angle or the jacket is not the right size or this 27552 has a particular cut, the shoulders look droopy here.

Mr. Rotenhahn generally orders size 46.

I believe that the 'model' is more like a 44.

Robman

Actually the jacket in my mind looks spot on for a rough wear. Fits the "model" typically for the period.

Everyone gets so concerned over the shoulders but if it was a size smaller it would probably feel like a dog harness with the rough wear design.

Grant

I agree with Rob, the jacket fits John pretty spot on for a Rough Wear design. Also, looks to me like John was able to source some proper weight horsehide as the jacket seems really drape well and doesn't look glove leather thin like some other GW jackets I've seen and handled. The color of the hide is the dark color we seem to associate with the 27752 contract, but I've seen a number of 27752's in a lighter russet color as well. Overall is looks like one of John's best efforts yet - awesome job John!

Grant

Swing

Am I mistaken, or didn't the Rooster recently bitch about the OD thread being used in other RW reproductions, and that brown would be more correct or something? But this jacket has OD thread.... :roll:

~Swing

jacketimp

Robman said:
Actually the jacket in my mind looks spot on for a rough wear. Fits the "model" typically for the period.

Everyone gets so concerned over the shoulders but if it was a size smaller it would probably feel like a dog harness with the rough wear design.

droopy shoulder is part of the rough wear fit? rememberr this is just Jc modelling a jkt, not his personal jkt..........

A

Anonymous

Swing said:
Am I mistaken, or didn't the Rooster recently b*tch about the OD thread being used in other RW reproductions, and that brown would be more correct or something? But this jacket has OD thread.... :roll:

~Swing
Light OD thread a la Eastman 1401p isn't right for the 1401p contract as far as I know- the original I owned and even the original in Eastman's own comparison photos were made with darkish brown thread. On the other hand- most 27752s I've seen had thick OD or yellow/green thread. So whatever "bitching" I did was about the bright thread used on Eastman's 1401p.

A

Anonymous

HHjackets said:
rotenhahn said:
relaxed.jpg

... or droopy shoulders which characterized RW repros in the past...

Any droop you see on this jacket is because of the shoulder angle of the Roughwear pattern and the slight raising of the eapulets characteristic of many Roughwears. The epaulets are 7 1/8" inches. There is no droop where the epaulets come off the shoulder and down on to the upper arm. That's a characteristic of repros with 8+" epaulets and Euro-shoulders. My original 46 18091 actually is less square than the GW 27752 but again- the epaulets on it don't go "round the corner" on to the upper arm.

A

Anonymous

rotenhahn said:
front_back_full.jpg

collar_details.jpg

epaulet.jpg

pocket.jpg

relaxed.jpg

God I love that reddish brown, so rich.

khiattP-51

I have a huge thing for Rough Wears. It's been said before, some like them, some don't. I like everything I see in this copy. My last ELC version I purchased back in 2005 is actually pretty darned good. Especially in terms of the color, leather, fit and look when worn. It's Rough Wear. But, the GW version looks like an amped up model which gets all the small OCD details that combined really makes it a true copy.

This one goes to 11...."It's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here...where can you go from there? Where?.......11."

-Kevin

A

Anonymous

KhiatP51:
I have a huge thing for Rough Wears

Same here- in fact my search for the perfect repro has really been a search for the perfect Roughwear. I agree that in 2005 the Eastman 1401p was as close as you could get but the calibration has now been set that much higher. The Roughwear is to me the most mysterious and beautiful of all the A-2s- sometimes seemingly so mundane (not that noticeable in some group photos) but with the coolest folds and curves (as in the head shot photos a lot of servicemen had taken):
hurley1943.jpg

jacketimp

khiattP-51 said:
I have a huge thing for Rough Wears. It's been said before, some like them, some don't. I like everything I see in this copy. My last ELC version I purchased back in 2005 is actually pretty darned good. Especially in terms of the color, leather, fit and look when worn. It's Rough Wear. But, the GW version looks like an amped up model which gets all the small OCD details that combined really makes it a true copy.

This one goes to 11...."It's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here...where can you go from there? Where?.......11."

-Kevin

sure, like.............110%