• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Edward

Ed were do you find stuff like this ??
Hunt and peck keyboard search master.... and timing! Lol! I was on the lookout for these mugs to add to my collection for quite some time and I finally found a listing at Etsy. At first I didn’t buy them and it was bugging me because you just never see these come available and it’s a good thing I waited because a few days later she discounted them by 20%! So I ordered them. All the way from France and they got here in 7 days!

Ran across this machine and thought of you Edward...
119484190_991951841276649_4029602388548558829_n.jpg

Look closer...

119243059_991951817943318_7285309012054709870_n.jpg

holy shit! WOW! that beats mine! I've seen them labeled Property US Army but never on a key and Air Corps! where in the hell did you "find" that rare treasure? damn!

I wish. A typewriter collector posted it as his new acquisition. Didn't know they made them. Only two minor differences between that version and mine. The shift key and the degree +/- key. Mine below:

IMG_4516.JPG

ausreenactor

Tracking..

Army trained me to touch type in 1994. 10000 key strokes, zero errors at 35 wpm. Very novel way of identifying the AAF letter set. That Degree plus minus key would be for navigation briefs... Other Army Corps just head to the gun fire.. ;)

The legend (little piece of card paper under the glass in the key) was often changed by typewriter dealers, services and government agencies but the key itself always performed a shift key function. Take a look at the other exampled above and you will see a label for Sherwood Typewriters of Twin Falls.

Edward

look at me! I'm A DONUT DOLLIE! :D

I'm into the ephemera and lifestyle of the WWII soldier and got interested in the mobile canteen aspect of it... Doughnuts were an easy item to make and offer through mobile canteen trucks. I located an exact matching hand made wire serving basket as seen in these Red Cross doughnut dollies photos. Vintage baskets are hard to find, expensive and usually rusty. These modern ones are indistinguishable from those made in the 30s and 40s and perfect for WWII mobile canteen and Donut Dollie re-enactors. I added a vintage YMCA Serves Our Boys In War pin and a vintage American Red Cross Canteen Service card to decorate it!

Now I need to buy some donuts!

IMG_1414.JPG
dc06644329f94762_large.jpeg

IMG_1430.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG

These exact replicas of the wire baskets used by the mobile canteens during WWII can be had at Hubert.com

They offer 2 different makes in various sizes but they have been discontinued! However they still have about 140 still in stock ready to ship. I chose the 18Lx13Wx2H as this seemed to match the size the Red Cross girl is holding in the photos.

Version 1 is handmade with rust-resistant, food-safe lacquer coating on steel wire: (hand wash only, not dishwasher safe)
https://www.hubert.com/product/9655...gular-Cabo-Steel-Wire-Basket---18L-x-13W-x-2H
Version 2 (that I purchased) is handmade with food grade STAINLESS steel and is Dishwasher Safe:

dollie.jpg
donut-dollies.jpg
donutsbasketarmy.jpg
ec182b49ef083ce0a9b702333b28cd40.jpg

ab9c0fecdade8a4b402a7e0dc160fda5.jpg
IMG_1131.JPG

Edward

I thought I was done with collecting WWII era pencils but these caught my attention. Two Salvation Army 1944 pencils with white plastic ferrule and "Our Fighting General Douglas MacArthur" patriotic pencil with black paper ferrule.

decent shape for nearly 80 year old pencils... the Salvation Army ones piqued my interest because of my affinity for the Mobile Canteen Services of which they were also a part of.

IMG_1444.JPG
IMG_1446.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG

Edward

added a nice pairing to my 1941 RAF mug... a 1941 RAF hand Towel that appears to be unissued....
Its stamped
R.A.F.
J. WILKINSON LTD
England
interestingly enough my mug is labeled A.J. Wilkinson Ltd. so perhaps its the same manufacturer?
It measures 18.5 inches by 27 inches.

IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1479.JPG