• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Rory Schultz

The 1940s office chair arrived today and it is even way better in person. and the "Property Of" decal is much clearer than the eBay picture showed. so nice second piece for the office. (sorry, I ain't gots nobody else ta show this stuffs off ta.)

all original, very solid.

View attachment 39741View attachment 39742View attachment 39743View attachment 39744View attachment 39745
I had spent this last week trying to remember who it was that collected these vintage items for his office/ WW2 style.
I see that it was you
minor update to my footlocker. well, maybe not quite so minor... I had a large 5" x 7" repro Betty Grable photo in it but it seemed out of place considering everything else in it and on it is legit vintage... I forgot to post that I finally got not only a real vintage and appropriate size (3.5" x 5.5") Betty Grable post card photo but also a matching Rita Hayworth to go with it. As it is said before, "buy the item not the story" I still enjoyed the seller's entry about these two items; "
One of four postcards that my grandfather treasured during this service in the Army in the Pacific during WWII.
She also had listings for Hedy Lamarr and Ann Sheridan but I decided not to get those.
If you look closely the Postcards have six carefully placed pin holes along the edge which I would like to believe are thumbtack holes from being in a footlocker or on his bunker wall. One can imagine it anyway! Just the same it lends that much more authenticity to my footlocker. I decided to not tack them up (using the same holes )but to put them in protective sleeves and tack them up that way.... okay so that takes something away from it so I may change that one day but these are particularly rare to find today.
She also mentioned her grandfather put the American flag sticker on the Rita card and that just makes it that much cooler in my opinion! (I paid $12.50 each :) )

View attachment 39615View attachment 39616View attachment 39617
Hey Edward.....you need some real pin ups for your WW2 office. I have some originals that I would consider trading......

Edward

I had spent this last week trying to remember who it was that collected these vintage items for his office/ WW2 style.
I see that it was you

Hey Edward.....you need some real pin ups for your WW2 office. I have some originals that I would consider trading......
Buy a real original do you mean actual paintings not prints? Because I can’t afford those! LOL! I actually have over 100 vintage pinups from Vargas and George Petty printed back in the 1930s and 40s framed from calendars true magazine and Esquire magazine but I just don’t have room on the walls for them all so most of them are still sitting on the floor. I even have actual 1940s printers press proofs from Esquire magazine that were never printed on the backside nor folded and stapled into the magazine and they are extremely rare. One is a Varga girl that the San Francisco art exchange valued at over $10,000 in today’s auction market. The other is a George Petty. (Both now Museum quality matted and framed)
I appreciate your thought but if they are indeed original paintings I don’t have the money for that and if they are vintage prints then I already have more than I can display on the walls! Also I don’t collect vintage pinup photographs. I just wanted the typical popular Betty Grable and Rita Hayworth to add to the footlocker because it was just a traditional item that was common. I also have a large real autographed Betty Grable photo which I need to get appraised but just the same I’m not interested in any photograph collecting. But thank you!

Last edited:

Rory Schultz

You know what is cool is the USO shows with Bob Hope. My father saw Bob Hope while he was in the Pacific Theatre then I got to see the Bob Hope show while my father was stationed at GTMO Cuba during the early 1960's. I was a kid but I remember the show seeing Bob Hope, Connie Francis and many more other singers etc. It was awesome. My dad use to have a ton of photos of it all....WW2, Korea, Vietnam....the Bob Hope and USO shows with signed photos of singers etc. They were all lost when someone broke into my father's storage unit and stole everything of his life.

Rory Schultz

Well, I don't collect prints only originals. I used to own a lot of Alberto Vargas but those were lost in a fire. I have Earl Moran, Rolf Armstrong, Mort Kunstler, Norman Rockwell.....etc. I had a different idea in mind but forget about it, I think I am going to use those other pieces for a different deal. I had a couple of prelim drawings being developed for WW2 posters that I thought about doing a deal with but now you are right I think I going to hang on to them.

Here are a couple of prelim pieces used for WW2 Poster lf Frank J. Reilly    Ready for the Fight.jpg lf  Prelim war sketch  Tom Freeman.jpg

Rory Schultz

The majority of art that I collect is traditional Western. I got into the pin up and pulp mag. art just by chance. I met a lot of other artist along the way. Sometimes we traded pieces, a gift or sold at discount. I learned to look for art thru auction houses that there is not a minimum requirement so sometimes paintings will start bidding for 1. dollar. I picked up several very famous artist bronze sculptures for 10 cents on the dollar. Sometimes at auctions no one buys a piece so you go can low ball offer after the auction called a post auction bid. I bought one of my Japanese swords from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar that way. He is heavy into martial arts and is a big collector of swords. He put up for auction around 20 of his finest swords and most people outbid for the really nice Daisho sets he had up, but no one paid attention to some of his other ones so I managed to get several for dirt cheap and one was the most beautiful I have ever owned. It is a early Shinto period O-Wakizashi in full polish signed by the maker Hisakuni with its NBTHK ranking papers. Just to send a sword to be judged and get papers starts at 5000. I got it all for 1200. including BP and taxes. The same with 2 other ones he had that I got also, they were just a hair more in cost because these two were exceptionally large swords called a O-Tachi and O-Katana. So, i ended up with 3 of his swords from his collection for just under 3900. At the auction, the other swords of his sold from 20k to 120k.
So you understand what O-Wakizashi is that the O means it is a measurement that is about 3cm short of being a Katana.

Last edited:

Rory Schultz

Sorry, I had a very bad day and ended up in bed. I am still feeling bad and will be returning to bed in a bit but I am going to post some photos of some of my art in my collection. I have a lot of it crated in storage. For the pin ups I have some Earl Moran.

lf  Earl Moran Wringing the Belle.jpg Wringing the Belle
lf Earl Moran  Feel the Music.jpg Feel the Music
Earl_Moran_Sailor_Girl-1 Ahoy.jpeg Ahoy
20190616_115501.jpg This is show that it is hanging on the wall in my guest bathroom
lf  Earl Moran   Come In.jpg Come In
lf Bill Randall  Touch of Red.jpg Touch of Red by Bill Randall
lf  Rolf Armstrong.jpg Rolf Armstrong pastel and photograph of working piece
20180531_195137.jpg I cant remember the name of artist for this one.

I have more pin ups but they are in storage and I can not find the photos of them on my cell phone.

Rory Schultz

Here are some of the art used for PULP MAGAZINES .......these are by Mort Kunstler. I have more of his in storage and do not have the photos on my cell. This gives you hint at some of my favorite artist.

20180603_105621.jpg Norwegian Partisan Nymph by Mort Kunstler
20180603_105706.jpg Subway Cast By Mort Kunstler (bad photo because is wrapped in plastic in storage)
20180603_105740.jpg House of 1000 Brides by Mort Kunstler
20180603_105750.jpg Madame Penal by Mort Kunstler
Kunstler_Stag_l  Mountain Girls of Tibet.jpg Mountain Girls of Tibet by Mort Kunstler
20180603_110256.jpg It is hard to get a good photo when they are on the walls.....so I am having to use ones published.lf  Green Corn Ceremony of the Creek  by Mort Kunstler 1.jpg Green Corn Ceremony of Creek by Mort Kunstler
lf  Spy in the Red Kimono by Mort Kunstler 1.jpg Spy In The Red Kimono by Mort Kunstler
lf  Mort Kunstler   When Snow Does Not Hide Tracks 1.jpg When Snow Does Not Hide Tracks by Mort Kunstler
20200723_181339.jpg Amber's Mirage by Mort Kunstler

Rory Schultz

I hope you guys do not take this display of my art collection as some kind of showing off for ego stroking. I am not doing this for such reasons. I just wanted to share a part of my life, some of the things that I have a passion for. I started this newer collection after my daughter was born and this is for her to inherit after I am gone, so by the time of her getting up in age she is sitting on a nice golden egg.

Edward

I hope you guys do not take this display of my art collection as some kind of showing off for ego stroking. I am not doing this for such reasons. I just wanted to share a part of my life, some of the things that I have a passion for. I started this newer collection after my daughter was born and this is for her to inherit after I am gone, so by the time of her getting up in age she is sitting on a nice golden egg.
This is great! thanks for sharing these! we are all here to show off our collections and passions! please continue! I love pinup art. very impressive collection you have! I love Rolf Armstrong. I have a nice coffee table book on his work. amazing man.

Rory Schultz

Thanks, All of the original pieces I own have all been published and I own a copy of their original magazine that they were in.
It is part of establishing provenance of a painting when it has been published and can be proven.

Edward

Very excited to add another gun sight to my collection.
Today's score: Type B-11 Flexible Gun Ring Sight.
Used on flexibly mounted .50 caliber M2 machine guns.

SPECIFICATIONS: Detail 93-24588
A. A. F. DRAWING NUMBER: 37A5811

TYPE DESIGNATION: B-11

Air Service Command Stock Number: 5200729000
Manufacturers: International Register Company & American Signal Corporation
s-l1600a.jpg
s-l1600b.jpg
s-l1600c.jpg
s-l1600d.jpg
s-l1600e.jpg
ArmyTypeB11GunSight.jpg

B-Man2

It’s cool as hell..., although I’m not sure where this will fit in with your office and desk items ... but it is pretty cool. :)

Last edited:

Edward

It’s cool as hell..., although I’m not sure where this will fit in with your office and desk items ... but it is pretty cool. :)
well, thats for my OTHER insane collection hobby :p my WWII USAAF stuffs... then I sits in my 1940s WWII era office and looks at me USAAF flight crew collection... and talk to myself about it. :D