• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Edward

Ed
You are rapidly becoming the guy with the most unique collection on the forum .
Hell ... let me step that back ....You ARE the guy with the most unique collection on the forum!!!
Nice Work!
Cheers
I don't know.. I think there are a couple of others here that surely have me beat! I do go for the more interesting little pieces of the puzzle though. I would like to imagine at least one of these was shot from a browning on a B-17 or B-24 :D

Edward

got a couple of these vintage originals as well. not particularly rare but a must have for the footlocker.
1941IndependenceSafetyMatches.jpg
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG

Edward

Added two more WWII era green plastic ferrule Dixon Ticonderoga pencils to my growing collection. These particular ones (1395) are much harder to come by. the knife-edge eraser is a pre-war embellishment and its design was patented in 1933. these two, being plastic ferrule, are WWII era versions.
The ferrule has a slot cut into both sides to accommodate the circlular blade of the eraser, which must have introduced additional steps in the manufacturing.
I also found two 1930s photos of vintage babes using the 1395 pencils :p

s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
dixonknifeedge.jpg
dixonknifeedge2.jpg

US1927142copy.jpg

B-Man2

Added two more WWII era green plastic ferrule Dixon Ticonderoga pencils to my growing collection. These particular ones (1395) are much harder to come by. the knife-edge eraser is a pre-war embellishment and its design was patented in 1933. these two, being plastic ferrule, are WWII era versions.
The ferrule has a slot cut into both sides to accommodate the circlular blade of the eraser, which must have introduced additional steps in the manufacturing.
I also found two 1930s photos of vintage babes using the 1395 pencils :p

View attachment 38826View attachment 38827View attachment 38828View attachment 38829
View attachment 38831
Ed
You’re becoming quite the expert on all office things produced and utilized in support of the war effort during WWII. I think it’s pretty cool. How are you learning about all of these items?
I personally wouldn’t know the difference between a WWII era pencil and eraser or Viet Nam era one. Nice work!

Last edited:

Edward

Ed
You’re becoming quite the expert on all things produced and utilized in support of the war effort during WWII. I think it’s pretty cool. How are you learning about all of these items?
I personally wouldn’t know the difference between a WWII era pencil and eraser or Viet Nam era one. Nice work!
step one: get divorced and swear away women by becoming a loner
step two: spend way too much time on the internet.
step three... there is no step three... :p
well, my collection of USAAF items ended up including a few personal and office supplies and items needed in an army air forces desk... once that happened I started noticing all the little things on the officer's desk... which led me to collect 1930's 40's office supplies as the items the army used were just general civilian items but some labeled or printed with the army, air corps or AAF logos on them. So, I did some research on everything and anything one might need on an office desk and googled 1940s or 1930s desktop items (30s because they built things to last and many items continued to be used and not replaced like we do so often today)
in my research I just learned that during the war rationing kept metal supplies low and pencil companies turned to paper and plastic for the eraser holder (ferrule) so I knew if I got those they would be of the era. photos and collectors confirmed this as well as articles on the subject of pencils. now, during the war there were plenty of metal ferrule pencils used as those were still in the production, distribution lines and at shops so you will still see those but there are particular shapes and design of those ferrules that will stand out as being 30's/early 1941/42.
I had no intention of becoming a pencil collector but it is fun!

Edward

Ed
You’re becoming quite the expert on all office things produced and utilized in support of the war effort during WWII. I think it’s pretty cool. How are you learning about all of these items?
by the way if you have an item that has the patent number or numbers then you can go to https://patents.google.com and type in the number to get the drawing application file. it adds to the information to be sure! also its a PDF so you can print them out and age the paper... frame it with said item and instant objet de art :D

Edward

Outstanding!
Well done!
the discover, hunt and find is also part of the fun. its amazing what people still find in the attics, cellars and storerooms of old department stores especially in small town USA where not much changes... people still find NOS items that should have become extinct. you can still occassionally find someone selling NOS toilet paper rolls with the original labelling from the 1920's and 30s. :D
office supplies dating back to the mid 1800's, even food products! unopened tins of Maxwell House Coffee from 1933 etc. I guess 75 to 85 years isn't really a long time for something left unsold in a stockroom of an old family run store that eventually closes down. people will find entire cases of items that date back to the 30's and 40's. of course today a premium value is placed on them.

B-Man2

the discover, hunt and find is also part of the fun. its amazing what people still find in the attics, cellars and storerooms of old department stores especially in small town USA where not much changes... people still find NOS items that should have become extinct. you can still occassionally find someone selling NOS toilet paper rolls with the original labelling from the 1920's and 30s. :D
office supplies dating back to the mid 1800's, even food products! unopened tins of Maxwell House Coffee from 1933 etc. I guess 75 to 85 years isn't really a long time for something left unsold in a stockroom of an old family run store that eventually closes down. people will find entire cases of items that date back to the 30's and 40's. of course today a premium value is placed on them.
How ironic .... you can find toilet paper from the 1920s and 30s . ......, and many of us can’t find toilet paper made this year!!:D

ausreenactor

Amazed you find the items you share; however, adding to the updates with period pics is 'next level'. Great work.

As an aside, if I wanted to find unused 'rubbers' I would just have to open up some of my old wallets!

Rory Schultz

So cool, The Dixon Ticonderoga Co. just sold some of its art collection and I just purchased a few of their paintings last month.
These two paintings were painted by Kenneth Riley who almost lived to 100 but passed in 2015. 1st is Horatio Hornblower and the Pirate Plot 2nd is Ethan Allen in the Fight
lf Horatio Hornblower and the Pirate Plot.jpglf  Ethan Allen fight.jpg

Rory Schultz

Toilet paper! Whaaaaat? It is only used on this side of the world! Whatcha gonna do when its gone? Ya here about how ancient Romans cleaned the tush? Well they had community toilets sitting out in the open where a long carved block of marble or limestone with holes in it.....you sit over the holes and there is a half pipe down under it that has rushing water pushing it down along the pipe. But here is the gross part. They paid a guy to come by with a bucket with water in it and stick with a sponge tied to the stick. He would wash your crack then stick it back in the bucket of water until the next person in line would toss him a coin....then they all went to the open community pool and bathed together. Can you imagine all the dingle berries bobbing on the water in the bath, along with the STD's, puss from infections, snot and boogers and the baby makers floating around because some guy either just cornholed some little boy or girl while in the bath.....ewww... and oh by the way, ROMANS brushed their teeth with Urine. And they claimed they were the civilized nation and everyone else were Barbarians! o_O

Griffon_301

Got me 3 t-shirts, a longshirt and two sweaters from BRs new collection this week thanks to Fardin who ordered them directly via Gary ... I love their shirts as they are of high quality and very comfortable to wear.. and I needed some USN themed stuff to wear underneath the Navy jackets I have :D

Nnatalie

I found this worn old sewing machine last week—now to see if I can restore it and get it to work! Currently, at minimum the treadle doesn’t move, a belt needs replacing, and it needs a TON of cleaning. Thankfully it came with the original manual, so I have a diagram with all the mechanical insides labeled to work from. I did some research that suggests it’s from the late 1920s, so very likely still being used in wartime. Best part is, it was free! (And funnily enough made by the Free Sewing Machine Company).
370E3D90-B230-4A99-940B-2FB83C8C7DE2.jpeg
458C9407-5EB3-4E17-A649-36BD3FE0E9FC.jpeg
98DC792E-F261-43DE-A610-4DEAB7D3BFC1.jpeg