• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Edward

also replaced my postwar Scotch Whale Tale dispenser with a nice early pre-war/WWII era Whale Tail and the paper Scotch Cellulose Tape tag still on it with the matching patent number. (weighs 7 1/2 lbs!)
ScotchWhale1.jpg
ScotchWhale4.jpg
ScotchWhale2.jpg
ScotchWhaleLabel.jpg
tapedispenser-2.jpg

Edward

Added a couple more WWII era pencils to the heap. a Dixon Oriole with a paper ferrule and a rather patriotic pencil with a plastic ferrule.

I also added a wood ruler to my vintage 40's office. This one seems to be a 1940s promotional ruler (very common for companies to have imprinted giveaway rulers) and the wording on this one seems to indicate WWII wartime manufacture. a bit worn and used but that gives it more charm in my opinion.
Happy Memorial Day
I appreciate those that served, serve today, and will serve so that I may live free and enjoy the lifestyle that I am accustomed to.

IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG

Edward

Edward, I must say I really like what you're doing ! IMO, those stationery and day to day items are true living history.
thanks man. it certainly gives me an interesting environment to hang out in when watching WWII and1940s movies.
this you might roll your eyes at though :D
why have any modern waste bin when you can have a vintage period correct one in the office? :rolleyes: :D (nice heavy steel... probably 1930s)
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
1929Spittoon.jpg

Should I get a spitoon? :p

0e1089d965a5c42c3be66ee877b80917.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.10.40 PM.png

Edward

I want a 1940s school teacher desk as that was the typical office desk of the era as well (as you can see in the pics above) they tend to be pricey at antique shops but cheap via individuals on Facebook. I have found a few in my region but they are big and heavy and I would have to rent a truck and pay mileage. Hoping to find one local one day but not in a hurry for it. The vintage office chairs though are what people ask top dollar for no matter!

Cocker

this you might roll your eyes at though :D

Oh no, I wouldn't! Although my home office is nothing in the vein of what you have there, I still haven't bought a proper trash bin, because none looks the part with what I have in my mind! I don't want no modern plastic trash, nor something all nice and sophisticated. I want something like that one! :p

I really do appreciate the search and sheer amount of details and background story your can produce for almost every of those items, even the menial ones like pencils.

Rory Schultz

That is such a heart break seeing the tape dispenser....."sniff sniff" I cleaned out my garage last summer and had a silver grey one and threw it away. I did not stop enough to think if it was a collectable, I just wanted to get rid of the mess piled up. I am afraid to think of the boxes of other stuff I threw out after only a slight glance inside.

kirova

That is such a heart break seeing the tape dispenser....."sniff sniff" I cleaned out my garage last summer and had a silver grey one and threw it away. I did not stop enough to think if it was a collectable, I just wanted to get rid of the mess piled up. I am afraid to think of the boxes of other stuff I threw out after only a slight glance inside.

I can fully understand the "thrower's remorse", I guess we might need some counselling from Maria Kondo :)

Last edited:

Edward

50 Cal ball M2 from Nevada Dry lake bed AAF Target ranges

Got these 50 cal ball M2 rounds come From a guy named Gly that hosts a show called Abandoned and Forgotten Places. He gathered these up last month at the Nellis Air Force Gunnery and Bombing Range in Nevada at the Mojave Desert dry lake bed target ranges. (There were Several Army Airfields established around the area which includes the notorious Area 51!)
In 1942 the region was restricted from public access for War Department to use. Gunnery training began in 1942, with guntruck platforms being used in January and February. By July 1942 the Fourth Air Force Bombing and Gunnery Range Detachment arrived as the 1st unit.
February 1943 the area was being used for the 82d Flying Training Wing for air-to-air gunnery training
B-17 Flying Fortresses arrived in 1942 and allowed training of 600 gunnery students and 215 co-pilots every five weeks at the height of the war. More than 45,000 B-17 gunners were trained and the USAAF training movie The Rear Gunner was filmed in the area in 1943. The 82d Flying Training Wing (Flexible Gunnery) was activated at the base as one of ten Army Air Forces Flying Training Command wings on 23 August 1943. By 1944, gunnery students utilized B-17, B-24 Liberator and YB-40 Flying Fortress gunship aircraft firing at aircraft-towed targets.
March 1945, the base switched to B-29 gunnery training which included the manipulation trainer on the ground with camera guns. Flexible gunnery training ended in September 1945.

These litter the dry lake bed by the thousands and I was able to get 30 of these for a mere $18.50 shipped!
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG
50caldesert2.jpg
50caldesert3.jpg
50caldesert6.jpg

50caldesert9.jpg

B-Man2

Ed
You are rapidly becoming the guy with the most unique collection on the forum .
Hell ... let me step that back ....You ARE the guy with the most unique collection on the forum!!!
Nice Work!
Cheers