• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Edward

well, if anyone in the other forums needs a slider buckle I can point them in this direction to help with their restoration but they'd be spending $45.00 and then have to destroy the leggings to retrieve the buckle! :D
good enough.. I'm done. :p

bucklecompare.jpg

ausreenactor

They sell bits on their own. Real men can join steel so you might be one of them and shorten the buckle. P.S. I am not a real man.

Edward

today I completed the restoration of my M3 Flak helmet with the addition of new felt pads. I believe the originals were wool felt and these modern ones are most likely man made material but you can't see the difference. I could perhaps find some water based dye and color the tan ones to match the original but the brown ones are close enough. also you can see here the diameter is an exact match. they are just a tad thicker but not by much.perfect for replacing lost ear pads.

I did have the usual rusting on the ear protectors so I used phosphoric acid to remove some of the rust and additionally it converts some of the iron oxide into an inert layer of ferric phosphate and preps the surface for paint of which I sprayed a can of a near match Rustoleum Olive Drab. Being its on the inside portion I wasn't too concerned with it not being an exact color match but one day may hit it with a different closer OD match.
(For the rust I used Klean-Strip Phosphoric Concrete Etch & Metal Prep + Rust Inhibitor from Home Depot.)

IMG_9586.JPG

IMG_9587.JPG
IMG_9595.JPG

IMG_9589.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

Edward

just had to add this to my collection.only one other bidder so I got it for a steal. needs servicing but its rare enough to find an original Elgin box but even more rare to get the matching serial number. the label is a bit scuffed up sadly but for $162 what the heck....
the acrylic crystal is yellow. I thought it yellowed with age but this one appears to actually be yellow tint. not sure that is original and don't recall if any were issued that way.
Not sure how these were initially boxed and displayed. I feel like a cardboard piece may be missing that the watch would have been strapped to under the cutout window but not certain. I added my own OD watch band as it came with a very old and badly decayed leather one.

elginbuynow.jpg
winbid.jpg

boxcloseup.jpg
elginbox.jpg
IMG_9650.JPG
IMG_9652.JPG
IMG_9655.JPG
IMG_9658.JPG

Edward

found a great piece to add to my 1940s vintage USAAF office! A card index file cabinet... and not just any... this one is marked on the bottom (albeit a bit faded and worn) Property Air Force United States Army so it fits right in with my decor perfectly! Dove tail oak construction, bakelite handles and its a match to one in a photo I've had for a while....
IMG_9757.jpg

IMG_9817.JPG

s-l1600-2.jpg

IMG_9815.JPG
IMG_9816.JPG
indexcardPropertyUSAAF.jpg

FinishNumber.jpg
IMG_9813.jpg
IMG_9814.jpg

Thebigger problem with finding more stuff is running out of room and having to re-arrange stuff... I need a bigger desk! :D

IMG_9820.JPG

Smithy

Your office is just too cool Edward, I absolutely love it and all the wonderful attention to even the smallest details. Fantastic stuff!

Edward

Your office is just too cool Edward, I absolutely love it and all the wonderful attention to even the smallest details. Fantastic stuff!
thanks! I am super stoked about this file card cabinet! to be 1940's vintage is one thing but to be marked as having actually been used during WWII by the USAAF really puts it over the top for me! As my friends in the UK would say... I'm chuffed! :p