• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Edward

added this June 1943 US made Homer Laughlin cup to my WWII era collection...
FRE_000978.jpg
homer43.jpg
homer43c.jpg

Edward

Of the Cruver recognition models its the most desirable and the hardest one to find. (probably only because of the romanticism for the Flying Fortress) suppostedly this guy acquired his grandfather's collection of about 10 planes all currently on eBay and this was one of them. I beat out 10 bidders on 26 bids... these things are notorious for self destructing though. They weren't made to last and inferior products were used in the 1940s due to rationing of certain chemicals... this one doesn't seem to have any issues yet but I may consider getting a mold made and recasting it in modern plastic as the cellulose acetate isn't stable in the long run. maybe not a great investment. :( But I'm still excited to have this in my WWII collection!

unclegrumpy

Occasionally you used to see these B-17 recognition models cast in aluminum. They were done back in the day, but don't turn up often.

Edward

Occasionally you used to see these B-17 recognition models cast in aluminum. They were done back in the day, but don't turn up often.
Comet Authenticast! would love to find one! I know some were cast in lead. prewar there were aluminum cast ones but of course the military needed aluminum and other metals so non essential materials were used for recognition models. I think one company did them in saw dust mixed with a glue binder. I don't recall all the companies that made them off hand but Cruver was the most famous and most used contract.
after the war the molds for the cruver were used by the airforce through the 50s (a 1953 B-26 Marauder was recently up for auction) and eventually the molds were sold to a toy company ... I don't recall the name. Also smaller versions were used for toys that were put in cereal boxes (cast in white plastic) and those appear on eBay often. I'd like to think that somewhere in a dark dank dusty warehouse are the original molds... unless they were melted down or tossed.... would love to see get my hands on those lol!

unclegrumpy

The ones I was thinking of were like the larger black recognition models in size...guessing 14" to maybe 16" wing span. Had one for a long time, but let it go. One theory was they were made for Boeing...or in a Boeing Shop. Mine was not drilled to go on a stand...basically a very big paper weight.

Edward

well looky what I found! Going to use it as a zipper pull (will have to be extra careful with it though as the celluloid is about 75 years old.
The reverse has a rather dapper looking man I shall name Dapper Dan... :p

IMG_2923.jpg
IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2926.JPG

Last edited:

Edward

Thanks B-Man2
Its all just in the living room of my tiny apartment. but I live alone so it can be the man cave and I can enjoy my collection. if I ever find a girlfriend (or rather, she finds me because I give up on looking) then it will be a must she has an interest in WWII / AAF / RAF... if not, I'll boot her out of my bunk, throw her to the curb and tell her to hitch a ride back to whence she came. :p

B-Man2

Thanks B-Man2
Its all just in the living room of my tiny apartment. but I live alone so it can be the man cave and I can enjoy my collection. if I ever find a girlfriend (or rather, she finds me because I give up on looking) then it will be a must she has an interest in WWII / AAF / RAF... if not, I'll boot her out of my bunk, throw her to the curb and tell her to hitch a ride back to whence she came. :p
Err......Let’s think about that one for a minuteo_O