• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Edward

so I also received my June 3, 1943 B-4 Mae West
this thing is is superb condition! the Manufacturing/spec stamping is a bit faded but does say Air Force, U.S. Army
Inspection dates of:
10-31-44
Nov 1 44 (I'm guessing someone didn't see the inspection done the day before and stamped on the inner flap! LOL!)
March 3 45
7-5-45

the Co2 cartridge holders work perfectly with pull down spring action and are loaded with Co2 cartridges. (do not attempt to inflate 75 year old rubber!)
Cool thing is I have both versions of the Co2 cartridge caps!

The Dye Marker pack still has the dye clump inside! (do not pull this tab down!) :p

IMG_1544.jpg
IMG_1545.jpg
IMG_1546.jpg
IMG_1547.jpg
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1549.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg

Edward

Were they not supposed to be supplied with R14's ??
yes, the early years brown pads would be appropriate for the early R-14 distribution. (HS-23) not sure why they switched to the small black rubber pads. then due to ohm changes they switched to the AN b h1 (HS-33) as I am sure you know of course. so unless you had the ohm adaptor you needed to junk your R14 if you flew. Not sure if R 14 stayed in use for long in the control towers.

Carl

yes, the early years brown pads would be appropriate for the early R-14 distribution. (HS-23) not sure why they switched to the small black rubber pads. then due to ohm changes they switched to the AN b h1 (HS-33) as I am sure you know of course. so unless you had the ohm adaptor you needed to junk your R14 if you flew. Not sure if R 14 stayed in use for long in the control towers.
Mmm adaptor ?? ;)

Edward

Mmm adaptor ?? ;)
adapter? Why sir I hardly know her!

did I mention I got a 1942 Wool blanky to keep me warm this winter? :D

The QM is nice and legible 7-11-1942! nice QM! lol! (most 1942's that come available are really hard to read)

the rocky gorge woolen company is a known co that not only made these for all the WW2 years but WW1 as well! sadly they went belly up shortly after WW2 ended.

IMG_1542.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Edward

not sure if this was attached to the pull lever of the Co2 case or not as it fell to the floor as I pulled the preserver out. I attached it to the lever for now.
I did some research and I found an exact one listed as a WWII AMMUNITION CRATE WIRE SEAL WITH LEAD FASTENER.
its a wire and lead US stamped tag usually for the sealing of the Wooden ammunition boxes from the Arsenal. maybe they wired the lever and co2 case together since the holes on each side line up... and it was to keep from accidentally pulling on the cord and engaging the co2. since its a soft lead it would break easily when you intentionally yanked on the cord to inflate the preserver.

anyway kind of like the crackerjack prize in my B-4 box!

IMG_1554.JPG

Edward

my little green apple showed up today! dated 1943 with a 1944 A-13 regulator. I have the earlier A9A regulator to swap out on the way which will allow the A-8B oxygen mask to hook up to it giving me roughly 8 minutes or less to get to the waist gunners and help them with ammunition. LOL! I found an even earlier A-8 regulator that was very similar to the A9 but the guy wanted too much for it in my opinion. from what I understand the older regulators were constant flow which exhausted the supply of oxygen more quickly and the a-13 was a more suitable demand regulator but the larger A-6 and D-2 bottles held more and lasted longer.

I'll post again once I receive and install the A9A regulator.

IMG_1568.JPG

Edward

itchy trigger finger!
these will keep me warm! (Ken-wel Sporting Goods Co. is a noted maker mentioned in the book Flight Gear 1942 1945)

appear to be NOS unused condition. got them for only $99.00 which I think was a pretty good price!

IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG

perfect fit!
IMG_1586.JPG
IMG_1587.JPG

Edward

I got the A-9A regulator for my A-4 walk around bottle today. there were a few available and I chose this one because it had an extra threaded step down adaptor for which I had a feeling I might need... and I did! (Lucky me!)
I had to put the bottle in the freezer to contract the threaded A-13 so it would unscrew. I heard a slight wisp of 76 year old oxygen escape and pretty sure I saw my 1942 A-4 flight suit twitch and come to life for a split second! :D

The authentic A-8B oxygen mask attaches perfectly. (as a side note the modern reproduction does NOT fit. It probably only needs the nipple sanded down a bit to slide in though) :oops:

now I have a full 8 minutes to get from the living room to the bathroom and back to the couch before I get Anoxia!
Now, unless there was an optional clip on attachment for this, the A-4/A-9A was truly a hand held walk around bottle as the A9A regulator doesn't have a clip like the A-13 does.

IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG

Edward

got the D-file and some sand paper out to file down the connector a touch on the repro A-8B and now it fits! (yes, I'm OCD like that! lol!)

IMG_1616.JPG

Edward

screen grab from 2014 film Unbroken
interior B-24 Liberator A-4 bottle with the A-13 regulator. stencil above reads PORTABLE OXYGEN BOTTLE - REFILL BEFORE REPLACING

fun stuff!
unbroken-movie-screencaps.com-550.jpg

Edward

finally landed a great pair of vintage 1940's Bausch & Lomb aviators with a case in excellent condition and perfect lenses! paid $165.00 for them and feel okay about that since many in this condition usually sell for almost twice that. wore them today and love them... so they might become my daily wearers.

IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1925.JPG
IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG

B-Man2

How would you say they compared to sun glasses made today with the modern technology they use?

Edward

I have an affinity for small leather items. (weirdo!) and small vintage items to toss into my A-2 pockets. a vintage lighter, good luck charms, 1940's coins, AAF wallet etc.
I acquired this interesting oddity that most likely came from a gift shop in the U.K. or in the states and sent over. its a tiny half wallet for lack of a better name. Its labeled Pe-Wee Fold. a small bill fold with a built in change pocket and a place for a photo. Naturally I put a pinup girl in it! LOL! looks to me like you would fold the bill in half long ways and insert then fold the bill fold up... fold fold bill fold -fold... :D it'd fun-sized! LOL!

IMG_1930.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG
IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG

Last edited:

Edward

I usually wear cheap $20 runner's shades so these are better. I had been wanting to get some polarized sunglasses as I drive a lot. these are the older green glass lenses but seemed to work very well in glare and eased the eye strain. everything was sharp and crystal clear and I wasn't squinting anyway. I'm sure a quality pair of UV glasses would be better but these were perfectly fine to me and it was full on southern sun today.
as usual the wrap around wire is the part that takes getting used to. I usually have to pull them out of shape a touch to relax them so they don't pinch and push against the backs of my ears. otherwise comfortable. I'll wear them for a week and see how my eyes are.
How would you say they compared to sun glasses made today with the modern technology they use?

Edward

Just about had a coronary hitting the buy it now button and WAITING for the godam payment confirmation button to pop up before someone else swiped it.... some minor damage on corners and a few on the edges but nothing to detract from the most desirable 1942 spotter recognition poster! The B-17E! I am so stoked! Can’t wait to dry mount and frame this bastard!

B17ESpotter.jpg