• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Edward

I scored a great set of HB-7 Headphones fitted with ANB-H-1 receivers and the red PL-354 bail out plug. (HS-33?) and it came with a black JK-26 extension plug.
The receivers are Made by SHURE Brothers, Chicago, USA

they are in great shape. the leather is still soft and plyable. they came with one original MC-162-A rubber ear pad that is also soft and plyable. too bad the other was missing but I got a post war Japan made replacement of the same MC-162-A spec that match perfectly to the original from Bells Aviation.
the leather has a name written on top: ELLIOTT
I am in contact with the seller who says his father received them as a gift from a friend who owned them in the war. he is selling off his father's personal belongings as he is very old and frail. I am hoping to find out if he recalls the gentleman and what plane or what theater of operation he flew.

I also purchased a NOS T-30-S throat mic to go with it. ... more items to post soon!

IMG_0683.JPG IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0682.JPG

Edward

got a proper styrofoam display head for my latest pieces to my AAF collection.
I got an authentic Bancroft Flighter crusher (“BY BANCROFT Visor Pat. Pend.” post-May 1943).
Its not in the best of shape but it displays well. There's a few moth nips and it certainly was well worn! I'd like to think it saw plenty of action. :D I can't imagine anyone with a head smaller than mine but I can get away with a 7 and this doesn't fit me! It may be a
6 7/8 or smaller... do adults have heads that small? this guy was child sized! (but with balls of steel! ) LOL! its really floppy so it probably spent more time in his pocket than on his head. LOL!

cheap aviator repros. hope to replace them with some vintage specs one day.... more to come soon....

IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG

Last edited:

Edward

I would imagine that’s the same Shure that are still making microphones to this day-very successfully indeed.
I agree. would be too much of a coincidence to be spelled that way and make speaker/microphone items. I was pretty happy to see these were manufactured by Shure! thought that was very cool!

Edward

replaced the modern repro aviators with proper vintage AN6531 Type I aviators by Willson. huge difference. better tear drop shape, real green tint glass and Bakelite with gold frames. the lenses are in pretty good shape with a few minor scratches but look great on display!
IMG_0743.JPG

Edward

added vintage AN6530 goggles by Chas Fischer Spring Co (with replacement padding and strap) and a reproduction A8 oxygen mask to complete the look. man, these guys had straps all over their heads! its a wonder they had blood traveling around their heads at all!
IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0750.jpg
IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0755.JPG

Last edited:

B-Man2

Those are some pretty cool finds in worn condition but to find them in the condition you acquired those in is awesome!

Edward

went ahead and got a nice condition A-9 canvas helmet. looks to be unissued. (unless someone is making reproductions but this one seems legit)
got another set of excellent shape HS-33 headset receivers made by western electric and came with the original rubber pads which are still soft and pliable. these might be just post war issue but not sure. has the proper red pl-354 plug and metal clamp stamped Headset HS-33
IMG_0757.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG

Edward

picked up a reproduction Air Cruisers B-3 Life preserver supposedly made for the film Unbroken. Not screen used but a "surplus" left over from the manufacturer I'm sure. just the same its a fantastic repro using period NOS materials so it has the look and heft of the real one. the CO2 cartridge holders are cast metal but look the part. Was going to get a real vintage one but they go fast and this fake is just fine for my display. LOL!
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG

Carl

added vintage AN6530 goggles (with replacement padding and strap) and a reproduction A8 oxygen mask to complete the look. man, these guys had straps all over their heads! its a wonder they had blood traveling around their heads at all!
View attachment 6517View attachment 6518View attachment 6519View attachment 6520

Interesting idea having the A8b mounted on the A11 ??
Id put the A8b on the A9 helmet and maybe try to find an A10 revised , A10a or A14 mask to display with the A11 .
:)

Edward

Id put the A8b on the A9 helmet and maybe try to find an A10 revised , A10a or A14 mask to display with the A11 .
ya, I will do that. but I found an old pic of a crew member wearing the A8B with an A-11! he just strapped the A8B around it and ignored the snaps since the A8 doesn't have them,. so I guess some guys just used whatever they had handed to them

Edward

Also I don't want to snap anything to the A-11 snaps. vintage leather tends to give and I'm afraid of the snaps pulling out from any weight of an A14

Edward

IMG_0766.JPG
hows this? I think much better... besides I don't want to abuse the old leather and I want to be able to view and appreciate it so all the clutter is now on the A-9 :D

Smithy

No, no, no Edward, it's Camels, no other cigarette tastes so rich yet smokes so mild, it's "the soldier's steady"! ;)