• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Edward

Added a little extra something to my collection. WWII army air forces labeled Esterbrooke fountain pen. These are Very common except for the USAAF and Air Corps labeled ones are a bit scarce. Got it for cheap. Well used and Needs cleaning but displays well. I’ve been keeping an eye out for one ever since I learned they existed… Took over a year to finally find one posted for sale… I have a similar one in black that’s not labeled… The military version inkwells are in brown Bakelite.
F3968AAC-D02D-418A-B4B9-EB7D8D31D2CF.jpeg
41463316-32E3-4C30-91B7-43EBEBF685BC.jpeg
7C7DC76E-FC8D-40F0-8097-1EDEA8228480.jpeg
6BCC773B-D725-494C-BA5C-1C9447327B25.jpeg

Edward

With texting, keyboards and speech to text I just rarely ever write anymore. Seldom do I even write a check for anything as I pay all my bills online and use a debit card. I occasionally have to sign my name to something... thats about it. so I seem to have lost my penmanship. I remember in high school people would compliment me on my handwriting... I no longer need to write to anyone but I still have wanted a vintage fountain pen. Modern fountain pens are just as effective and cheaper but who wants a 21st century fountain pen?

I have kept my eye on pens and just like everything vintage there is a fandom and collectors and there are forums... and the inflated values.

I have the Esterbrook desk pen but I wanted something to put in the shirt pocket. of course with my affinity for the USAAF/RAF I didn't want anything less than what the boys in the 1940s might carry... this week I finally acquired a 1940s Sheaffer Valiant white dot with Military Clip. This is the same model they would also brand as the "Skyboy"

I finally caught a seller that didn't ask for the highest price these go for today (usually around $145) and got it for a fair deal. original working condition with a functional (and perhaps replaced) ink sac.

Back in the 1940s this particular pen sold for $10.00 which was quite a lot to spend on a pen for the time and is equivalent to around $140 in todays money. (can you tell I've been drinking.... so I digress..)
here is my latest acquisition because I don't have a girlfriend... a vintage military regulation acceptable fountain pen the Sheaffer Valiant.

"It's the best pen money can buy!" :D

went to staples and bought some Parker "Quink" loaded it up and found that my handwriting sucks ass!
IMG_7597.JPG
IMG_7599.JPG

B-Man2

Ed
Don’t give it a second thought, they don’t even teach cursive handwriting in the public school systems any longer. It’s a real travesty .
Kids won’t be able to sign their name to a legal document or read the Declaration of Independence. The brilliant decisions of the academic rocket scientist educators of the US.
WTF!!

Edward

Ed
Don’t give it a second thought, they don’t even teach cursive handwriting in the public school systems any longer. It’s a real travesty .
Kids won’t be able to sign their name to a legal document or read the Declaration of Independence. The brilliant decisions of the academic rocket scientist educators of the US.
WTF!!
I hear that! I cannot believe they don't teach cursive anymore! makes no sense to me! in the past few short years even I have become rusty ast writing! I find it awkward and I second guess myself as I am doing it and have a hard time writing m's and n's correctly. its sad... so for me growing up writing and doing so right up until the big smartphone texting era I can't even imagine a kid not being able to even begin to write let alone be less confident in doing so like I am now only having not had to write much int he past few years. its going to beomce a lost art but what happens when the power goes out? what if the big static bomb actually does happen? the tecnological blackout of a post apocalyptic war will send us back to drawing stick figures on cave walls. I actually find myself looking for a reason to write now. I guess I could google "pen pals" and see if that still exists. I'm so used to typing and instant replies now that I am not even sure I could stand the snail mail wait for a response. :(

ausreenactor

With texting, keyboards and speech to text I just rarely ever write anymore. Seldom do I even write a check for anything as I pay all my bills online and use a debit card. I occasionally have to sign my name to something... thats about it. so I seem to have lost my penmanship. I remember in high school people would compliment me on my handwriting... I no longer need to write to anyone but I still have wanted a vintage fountain pen. Modern fountain pens are just as effective and cheaper but who wants a 21st century fountain pen?

I have kept my eye on pens and just like everything vintage there is a fandom and collectors and there are forums... and the inflated values.

I have the Esterbrook desk pen but I wanted something to put in the shirt pocket. of course with my affinity for the USAAF/RAF I didn't want anything less than what the boys in the 1940s might carry... this week I finally acquired a 1940s Sheaffer Valiant white dot with Military Clip. This is the same model they would also brand as the "Skyboy"

I finally caught a seller that didn't ask for the highest price these go for today (usually around $145) and got it for a fair deal. original working condition with a functional (and perhaps replaced) ink sac.

Back in the 1940s this particular pen sold for $10.00 which was quite a lot to spend on a pen for the time and is equivalent to around $140 in todays money. (can you tell I've been drinking.... so I digress..)
here is my latest acquisition because I don't have a girlfriend... a vintage military regulation acceptable fountain pen the Sheaffer Valiant.

"It's the best pen money can buy!" :D

went to staples and bought some Parker "Quink" loaded it up and found that my handwriting sucks ass!
View attachment 26327View attachment 26328

Running writing! Damn. Army has had shouting in block capitals since 1991!

Edward

its certainly a delight to write with. if I could only find a reason to use it now. :confused: I'm not a journal keeper. life is too dull to write a diary... "dear diary, woke up. I Guess it's time to shit, shave, shower and shine.":D

Edward

beauty! I have the Morrison Patriot Army pen but not the set. the Army Air Forces one is hard to get. just last week the Wing Prop AAF Morrison Pen came up on eBay and with heavy bidding it sold for over $300!

Carl

beauty! I have the Morrison Patriot Army pen but not the set. the Army Air Forces one is hard to get. just last week the Wing Prop AAF Morrison Pen came up on eBay and with heavy bidding it sold for over $300!
Was that just the pen Ed ???
Hate to think what the pen pencil set would go for !!

Members online

Latest posts