• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Flightengineer

Added something really sweet to my collection!
I am now the caretaker of an original B-17F PILOT’S CHECK LIST CARD dated 10-15-43
measures 3.25 x 5.75 inches...

View attachment 22150

I would like to imagine it being kept in his A-2 flight jacket pocket!

An interesting artifact!
But I think it was not in the pocket but on board.
It is strange that they did not use flaps before takeoff ... I didn't imagine that B-17 can take off on a clean wing.

Edward

An interesting artifact!
But I think it was not in the pocket but on board.
It is strange that they did not use flaps before takeoff ... I didn't imagine that B-17 can take off on a clean wing.

I think this is a very early version. They kept adding items to the list frequently. I’ve only seen the B-17F and B-17G combined approved checklists. they didn’t even have checklists until 1935 for the earlier b-17s
From what I’ve read the B-17 was the first aircraft to get a checklist
I think it was the first B-17 flight, 3 men we’re seriously injured, and a few later died, when the aircraft stalled shortly after takeoff. After further investigation, it was found that the Captain had left the elevator lock on, and the aircraft was unresponsive to pitch control.

This one is Certainly basic and specific to the B-17F dated 10-15-43 so I’d be curious as to why it’s limited in check items

B-Man2

Would have thought that a checklist would have been a pretty standard thing by the time the B-17 was flying... pretty interesting stuff there Edward :)

Edward

Would have thought that a checklist would have been a pretty standard thing by the time the B-17 was flying... pretty interesting stuff there Edward :)

Especially by late 1943 after they’ve been tweaking takeoffs, organizing group formations and rally points like clockwork.

Flightengineer

I think this is a very early version. They kept adding items to the list frequently. I’ve only seen the B-17F and B-17G combined approved checklists. they didn’t even have checklists until 1935 for the earlier b-17s
From what I’ve read the B-17 was the first aircraft to get a checklist
I think it was the first B-17 flight, 3 men we’re seriously injured, and a few later died, when the aircraft stalled shortly after takeoff. After further investigation, it was found that the Captain had left the elevator lock on, and the aircraft was unresponsive to pitch control.

This one is Certainly basic and specific to the B-17F dated 10-15-43 so I’d be curious as to why it’s limited in check items

I think I understood that the B-17 had split flaps that can't increase lift and, therefore, they were not used at all during takeoff, but rather as spoiler during landing.
Just for any large modern aircraft taking off on a "clean" wing is a big mistake, the flaps position in the pre-flight check is always present. A takeoff without flaps when crew forgot about it ruined a lot of aircraft, so this is one of the important points of the checklist.

Flightengineer

Dimitry
I bet that checklist seems elementary compared to the one you guys use today which are more like Volume I of an encyclopedia ;) ( I’m dating myself here aren’t I )

Burt, manipulations are certainly more than it was in 40s cause we have more various toys in the cockpit compared to WW2 guys have had. But all they are described in FCOM (flight crew operations manual) and exactly FCOM is Volume I of an encyclopedia as you said :)
Checklist is also longer, but not very much longer than used on B-17.
On my plane now takeoff checklist has 19 points before starting the engines, 16 before starting to taxi (+5 during taxiing) then 9 before line up and 4 just before takeoff.

My apologies, Edward, I have unwittingly spammed your thread, I'll not do it anymore :)

Last edited:

Edward

I finally added the last of the Cruver spotter models to my four fav bombers collection, albeit a recast... The B-25 Mitchell to go with my 1942 B-25 Identification poster.

In all the time I've looked for Cruver spotters I've not seen a Mitchell come up so I took advantage of the recast that came up. one is actually better off with a recast anyway as they will be stable and not rot, crumble or melt on you which is sadly a common dilemma currently plaguing original spotter models that are now 75 years old and made of wartime rationed low quality materials. I read that all the original WWII era models are all marked with a month and 1942 even though they were cast form 1942 thru 1947 with only some minor changes to the model details to reflect war time additions and changes to the airplane but the manufacture dates were never altered on the molds. My B-17 and B-24 are stable but my B-26 Marauder does have "the weeps" or "Melts" starting around the wings where it attaches to the fuselage. the cellulose is a bit sticky so it's months or if lucky; years, are now numbered before the wings fall off. I keep it quarantined in another room as I am not certain if the vinegar scented gas-off will chemically react with my other originals and start the decomposition process in those... so to be safe it hangs from my ceiling in the bedroom. one day I hope to replace it... but for now I'm satisfied with what I have.

IMG_6755.jpg
IMG_6757.jpg

Edward

yes I was lucky to nab those. they occasionally come up in varying degrees of condition. I have the B-17E, B-24D, B-26 B, and the B-25C

they are a nice large size too! I limited myself to just these 4 bombers although other aircraft come up often. the B-17 and B-24 are particularly sought after so the competition to get them on eBay can be a bit fierce.

Flightengineer

Edward, you now need to get control yoke from B-24 or B-17 on the wall for your collection. Although probably the originals are expensive.
I recently received yoke from a plane that I once flew as a present for my birthday (now this plane has been scrap). A very cool thing, I think your collection needs a similar gem.

Edward

agreed! would love that! I've only seen an original yoke from a B-26 available once.. don't recall what it went for but it was listed starting around $3000.00. there are reproduction B-17 and B-24 yokes but even those are priced at between $200 and $400

yoke1.jpg
yoke2.jpg
yoke3.jpg

Edward

Edward, you now need to get control yoke from B-24 or B-17 on the wall for your collection. Although probably the originals are expensive.
I recently received yoke from a plane that I once flew as a present for my birthday (now this plane has been scrap). A very cool thing, I think your collection needs a similar gem.
IMA had this at one time... the entire control !

b17yoke.jpg

Spitfireace

very nice. I used to collect accouterments when I was a kid and had the kind of stuff you have including medals and stuff like that. I sold it forty years ago. I only like jackets now because they are useful as clothing. Badges and medals etc .they just sit there so although they are worth money they are only good as a display item. I am mainly trying to not have display only items, but having said that I have a couple of original jackets that I can't wear much.