• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Kermit3D

I just sent an email to John Chapman about the B-6 I ordered from him 17 months ago. I haven't heard from him and I just wanted to know what the status was.

I took the opportunity to tell him about my plan to order an A-2 and I asked him to guide me on the choice of the contract according to my measurements.
For the moment I have a very slight preference for a Rough Wear 1401... but I'm waiting to see what he proposes. :)

Kermit3D

Yes I suspect he is very busy. Our last exchanges were in April 2021, and I haven't even tried to contact him since, knowing that a long delay is quite common for a Good Wear jacket. I'm not really worried... but 17 months is a bit long. I hope I'll know more soon. ;)

Kermit3D

He is a one man show. He is alone to manage everything, of course the manufacturing of jackets but also the communication with the customers, so it is very difficult. When we last spoke, he told me that he was thinking of getting help to answer emails, but it's complicated because it requires a lot of expertise and knowledge to guide the customer.
That's why I'm not worried, I'm just like an impatient child before Christmas day ! :p

Pa12

I know that feeling. I wonder how long it takes him to build a jacket from start to finish?
He is a very conscientious businessman too. And does it all with a deposit only. My Platon was full payment up front including shipping, and then zero communication during the entire process. Just from watching this forum I can see John has a lot of orders. I’m sure he must have orders from outside this forum as well. I suspect, like everyone, he has “supply chain issues “as well.

Kermit3D

Yes, I'm sure he has a lot of orders, even though a year and a half ago, when I ordered my B-6, he said that the lead times had shortened a bit, at that time 12-14 months. But as you say, the current context makes the supply of raw materials quite difficult.
John is a conscientious guy and I have total confidence in him. I know I'll get a killer jacket and I'm learning to be patient.

Pa12

It is a long time to wait for something but it will be worth it. I’m surprised it gets cold enough for a b-6 where you are. I really only wear mine in the coldest of winter. January.
On the subject of waiting, I know someone who ordered a Toyota RAV4 hybrid. 4 years for delivery.

mulceber

I just sent an email to John Chapman about the B-6 I ordered from him 17 months ago. I haven't heard from him and I just wanted to know what the status was.

I took the opportunity to tell him about my plan to order an A-2 and I asked him to guide me on the choice of the contract according to my measurements.
For the moment I have a very slight preference for a Rough Wear 1401... but I'm waiting to see what he proposes. :)
All this sounds good to me, Kermit, for whatever it's worth. John's not going to run off with your money, but a little update now and again is a very reasonable request. And the Rough Wear's a classic choice. It'll pair well with the seal Dubow you already have.

Kermit3D

It is a long time to wait for something but it will be worth it. I’m surprised it gets cold enough for a b-6 where you are. I really only wear mine in the coldest of winter. January.
On the subject of waiting, I know someone who ordered a Toyota RAV4 hybrid. 4 years for delivery.

In Toulouse, in the south of France, the climate is rather continental. It is very hot in the summer, between 30°C/86°F and 40°C/104°F (even more this summer). In the middle of winter, the daytime temperatures are 5°C/41°F on average, sometimes lower, and at night it can drop to -5°C/23°F (I've experienced -14°C/7°F, but that's really exceptional).
Add to that the fact that I am rather sensitive to cold.

4 years for a Toyota RAV 4 woow ! :eek:

I know how to wait, I've been saving for 5 years to finish the restoration of my Datsun 240Z.... and the more jackets I buy, the more time I take to save :D

mulceber

In Toulouse, in the south of France, the climate is rather continental. It is very hot in the summer, between 30°C/86°F and 40°C/104°F (even more this summer). In the middle of winter, the daytime temperatures are 5°C/41°F on average, sometimes lower, and at night it can drop to -5°C/23°F (I've experienced -14°C/7°F, but that's really exceptional).
Add to that the fact that I am rather sensitive to cold.

Those winter temperatures sound very reasonable for a B-6. Much warmer than an A-2, but it also doesn't have the knits, so more heat can escape from the gaps.

Re: the A-2, the only suggestion I'd make would be to look at some of the other russet Rough Wear contracts before coming to a decision. 16159 is fun, what with the bigger pocket flaps. 18091 is made of russet goatskin, which would also contrast nicely with your seal horsehide Dubow. 1671 is very rare and comes with a neat blackened talon zipper. There are lots of options that scratch the same itch as a 1401-P. :)

Lord Flashheart

I'd echo what Jan said. John doesn't ask for everything paid for up front unlike some and his enthusiasm is clear when I've been in contact with him. I got lucky picking up a Star from him earlier this year which didn't work for someone else. I feel that he does try to balance dialogue with customers and making jackets but there's probably no winning on that score.

So, Brett, have you settled on the contract you're going for?

For my sins I've decided to get back in the queue again for another A-2 and I'm happy to save my pennies because by the time he gets round to that my Star should be wearing in nicely.

Kermit3D

Re: the A-2, the only suggestion I'd make would be to look at some of the other russet Rough Wear contracts before coming to a decision. 16159 is fun, what with the bigger pocket flaps. 18091 is made of russet goatskin, which would also contrast nicely with your seal horsehide Dubow. 1671 is very rare and comes with a neat blackened talon zipper. There are lots of options that scratch the same itch as a 1401-P. :)

Ahah yes that's the whole problem, lots of contracts and lots of options among each contract!
I lack knowledge so I try to find out where I can. The ACME Depot website, Gary Eastman's book and of course all the info found on this forum are a great help.

I am looking for a contract that was used on the European front for both fighter pilots and bomber crews. So more after 1942... but I'm not sure that asking this kind of question makes much sense. No doubt that from 1942 onwards in Europe, all kinds of contracts were used in all fields of aviation.

I like the 1401-P in red because it's a nice nod to James Stewart (nothing original) and it would be very different from my seal Dubow.

I am also looking for a jacket that is not too roomy...
... not easy. :rolleyes:

Pa12

You appear to be tall and thin so a jimmy jacket would obviously look awesome on you. Plus, I think a roughwear is a must in any collection. And nobody does roughwear like John. I have his 23380 but I confess I don’t know the difference between it and the 1401

MaydayWei

Anyone know any nice goatskin A-2 contracts?
I've been really loving the grain on some of the GW goatskins we've been seeing.
I know the Dubow 27798 was one; but I already have Platon's.
The RW 18091 is another, but I can't really think of any others.
Advice from the A-2 guys would be great! Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts