• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Nickb123

Interesting !
What do you think Nick ? You own a lot of A-2 if I'm not mistaken, is it a skin that you particularly like ?
I think a lot of modern A-2 reproductions are a bit too stiff, but that's a theoretical guess as I have little experience with them.

Yes, the difference is quite impressive. I think the Rough Wear is a good complement to the Dubow. But my choice is not finalized.

I read on the GW site that the Rough Wear was roomy in the torso. My chest size is particularly thin...I wonder if this is a problem.

I wonder how realistic it is that all pilots of the same squadron have seal-colored A-2s.
You have to see a sequence of the movie in daylight. The A-2s are really beautiful (imho).
This is actually one of the rare video sources with original A-2s just after the war (and especially in color). We are used to see original A-2's that are 80 years old and have dried up and faded.

Yes I can trust you for dimensions. Do you have any pic fits of your A-2 Rough Wear GW ?

It is very beautiful. The drape is superb indeed.
One track I need to explore : cowhide.
I've seen pictures of a cowhide that JC uses that is gorgeous.
Do we know of any examples of A-2 contracts that existed in cowhide during the war?

You’re thinking along the right lines. There’s not a single hide I prefer more than the others - but some (including certain cowhides) will have more give. I’m sure John will point you to the right choice.

Brettafett

My russet GW is still a longs ways off, but Im thinking...
Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...o_O
(pics courtesy of @Wz1999)
GW Doniger RW1401 copy.jpg

B-Man2

Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...Doniger, RW1401...o_O
View attachment 81999
Order both and relieve the self imposed stress. By the time you come up in the Q you can save enough to buy both of them.
You see?? Problem solved ! ;)

Brettafett

I do have two on order, but I want a seal and a russet.
Im pretty sold on the Doniger. Ive had a GW RW1401 (and umpteen ELCs) and although its a classic design and Jimmy Stewart's profile is my favourite coming out of WW2, I think the Doniger's better suited to my build. I also like the unusual features and the goat is different.
I seem to have moved to a preference for simple collars also, over the years.
Seal, Im still at the Bronco

Pa12

I have 2 seals, elc b-6 and gw bronco, and 2 russets, gw rw23380 and Platon dubow. I still really prefer russet. They look more antique to me. Especially my gw. The Platon is almost a milk chocolate colour.

P-47 thunderbolt

I've always preferred the RW style over all a2s, but damn that Doniger looks the closest thing to a ww2 a2 that I've seen in a long time. Give it some wear and that will be gorgeous.
Some incredible character compared to most of the plastic pebble goat hide that you see alot of.
That Doniger and @Grant 'The Few' Dubow are some of the nicest goat repros around!