• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Nickb123

Well... I have to learn first.
I don't know much about the different A-2 contracts.

Indeed the idea is to get something different than my BK Dubow which I love.
I know that the Dubow is quite particular, mainly because of the shape of its collar.
The Rough Wear contracts seem to be the rage. And from what I understand, the collar is radically different from the Dubow, so it could be a good alternative for something different.

I'm tall and thin... I kind of like the way James Stewart wears his Rough Wear. I don't want a jacket that's too small but I don't really like very roomy "big jackets".
But I'm willing to learn and I'm actually open to any contract.

Beyond the choice of the contract, what is very important to me is the choice of the leather. I am watching clips from "Fighter Squadron", the 1948 movie. We can reasonably consider that the A-2s seen in this movie are all originals, right?
I'm really struck by the drape, thinness and suppleness of the leather. Their jackets move over the body like silk shirts and I think it's great! That's what I'd like to get.

John has this Horween that has that thinness in spades. It kind of floats and feels shirt-like rather than a stiff leather that has to be broken in.

Pa12

I know that the Dubow is quite particular, mainly because of the shape of its collar.
The Rough Wear contracts seem to be the rage. And from what I understand, the collar is radically different from the Dubow, so it could be a good alternative for something different.

I'm tall and thin... I kind of like the way James Stewart wears his Rough Wear. I don't want a jacket that's too small but I don't really like very roomy "big jackets".

Beyond the choice of the contract, what is very important to me is the choice of the leather. I am watching clips from "Fighter Squadron", the 1948 movie. We can reasonably consider that the A-2s seen in this movie are all originals, right?
I'm really struck by the drape, thinness and suppleness of the leather. Their jackets move over the body like silk shirts and I think it's great! That's what I'd like to get.

Give you an idea on the difference in collar size. Gw roughwear and Platon Dubow . It’s significant.
ABD70A75-D699-483F-8CF0-6E80C6D59E16.jpeg

mulceber

Kermit, I think a jacket like Jimmy Stewart's Rough Wear would be great for you. Yep, I've watched Fighter Squadron before and I'm pretty sure they're all wearing originals. I agree with Nick about the Horween. That's what my Monarch is made of and it's like no other horsehide I've ever seen. It nails the drape of vintage A-2 leather.

Sabo

yes and they all look in seal brown, could it be that they were all re-dyed?
in short, to me they seem more similar to A2s produced by Five stars rather than Goodwear :)

Brettafett

We're very close in size and shape. And Jimmy's RW1401 has always been one of my favs... And Ive had a few.
One other suggestion is to look at John's Doniger. Its a unique jacket and I think this jacket would fit the trim/ slim type very well.

Kermit3D

John has this Horween that has that thinness in spades. It kind of floats and feels shirt-like rather than a stiff leather that has to be broken in.
Interesting !
What do you think Nick ? You own a lot of A-2 if I'm not mistaken, is it a skin that you particularly like ?
I think a lot of modern A-2 reproductions are a bit too stiff, but that's a theoretical guess as I have little experience with them.

Give you an idea on the difference in collar size. Gw roughwear and Platon Dubow . It’s significant.View attachment 81911
Yes, the difference is quite impressive. I think the Rough Wear is a good complement to the Dubow. But my choice is not finalized.

Kermit, I think a jacket like Jimmy Stewart's Rough Wear would be great for you. Yep, I've watched Fighter Squadron before and I'm pretty sure they're all wearing originals. I agree with Nick about the Horween. That's what my Monarch is made of and it's like no other horsehide I've ever seen. It nails the drape of vintage A-2 leather.
I read on the GW site that the Rough Wear was roomy in the torso. My chest size is particularly thin...I wonder if this is a problem.

yes and they all look in seal brown, could it be that they were all re-dyed?
in short, to me they seem more similar to A2s produced by Five stars rather than Goodwear :)
I wonder how realistic it is that all pilots of the same squadron have seal-colored A-2s.
You have to see a sequence of the movie in daylight. The A-2s are really beautiful (imho).
This is actually one of the rare video sources with original A-2s just after the war (and especially in color). We are used to see original A-2's that are 80 years old and have dried up and faded.

We're very close in size and shape. And Jimmy's RW1401 has always been one of my favs... And Ive had a few.
One other suggestion is to look at John's Doniger. Its a unique jacket and I think this jacket would fit the trim/ slim type very well.
Yes I can trust you for dimensions. Do you have any pic fits of your A-2 Rough Wear GW ?

Repeat picture, but you can see here how this one drapes. Are there more interesting contracts out there? Perhaps. But one cannot fail with a Rough Wear.

View attachment 81912
It is very beautiful. The drape is superb indeed.
One track I need to explore : cowhide.
I've seen pictures of a cowhide that JC uses that is gorgeous.
Do we know of any examples of A-2 contracts that existed in cowhide during the war?

Pa12

you couldn’t get any thinner then jimmy Stewart and it looks great on him. There’s a reason models are thin. Everything looks best on them.

Sabo

Interesting !
What do you think Nick ? You own a lot of A-2 if I'm not mistaken, is it a skin that you particularly like ?
I think a lot of modern A-2 reproductions are a bit too stiff, but that's a theoretical guess as I have little experience with them.

Yes, the difference is quite impressive. I think the Rough Wear is a good complement to the Dubow. But my choice is not finalized.

I read on the GW site that the Rough Wear was roomy in the torso. My chest size is particularly thin...I wonder if this is a problem.

I wonder how realistic it is that all pilots of the same squadron have seal-colored A-2s.
You have to see a sequence of the movie in daylight. The A-2s are really beautiful (imho).
This is actually one of the rare video sources with original A-2s just after the war (and especially in color). We are used to see original A-2's that are 80 years old and have dried up and faded.

Yes I can trust you for dimensions. Do you have any pic fits of your A-2 Rough Wear GW ?

It is very beautiful. The drape is superb indeed.
One track I need to explore : cowhide.
I've seen pictures of a cowhide that JC uses that is gorgeous.
Do we know of any examples of A-2 contracts that existed in cowhide during the war?
in this film and in most of the photos from the time, the A2s all look the same color. Then you see the A2 collection in Eastman's Sancta Santorum and you realize that neither one is the same as the other, I always speak of color not of contract, and I think that even when new the difference was evident.

mulceber

Tons of them. Prior to about 1940, 1941, the AAF mandated that the leather had to be horsehide, but the reality is that, since HH and cow are so similar, many of the tanneries would slip cowhide into the order. After 1940 or '41, the AAF was persuaded that it didn't matter, and so, going forward, all the contracts we describe as "horsehide" are really some admixture of horsehide and cowhide.

you couldn’t get any thinner then jimmy Stewart and it looks great on him. There’s a reason models are thin. Everything looks best on them.
True, although his sleeves are pretty short. I'm sure John will make the sleeves any length you want, no problem, but that raises the questions of whether that would be accurate and whether you'd care. It might not matter to you.

The A-2 jackets used in the film would almost certainly all be surplus. The re-dying ordered in 1943 was performed on all jackets that had not been issued, so that would explain why the jackets used in the film are re-dyes.

Last edited:

Pa12

Tons of them. Prior to about 1940, 1941, the AAF mandated that the leather had to be horsehide, but the reality is that, since HH and cow are so similar, many of the tanneries would slip cowhide into the order. After 1940 or '41, the AAF was persuaded that it didn't matter, and so, going forward, all the contracts we describe as "horsehide" are really some admixture of horsehide and cowhide.

True, although his sleeves are pretty short. I'm sure John will make the sleeves any length you want, no problem, but that raises the questions of whether that would be accurate and whether you'd care. It might not matter to you.

The A-2 jackets used in the film would almost certainly all be surplus. The re-dying ordered in 1943 was performed on all jackets that had not been issued, so that would explain why the jackets used in the film are re-dyes.
I always thought he should have went up a size or two. A little baggier maybe, but worth it for the arm length. No doubt they were issued based on a chest measurement

Kermit3D

So it's not always true. As I said on another post, I have shoulders for size 42 jackets, chest for size 40 jackets and arms for size 44 jackets.
To be clear, my comparison with James Stewart stops at weight and size. Period. :D

True, although his sleeves are pretty short. I'm sure John will make the sleeves any length you want, no problem, but that raises the questions of whether that would be accurate and whether you'd care. It might not matter to you

I'm one of those annoying guys who prioritizes historical accuracy, so I'll have to compromise. :p
Let's say that I accept a custom made jacket within certain limits, it has to correspond to a dimensional error that could have been there at the time.

mulceber

You and me are in the same boat, Kermit. Historical accuracy all the way. I guess I'd say when the time comes, have a list of contracts that you like, and your measurements in hand, and ask John which ones he's seen with measurements similar to yours.

Brettafett

This was my old GW RW1401, circa 2015. Pic taken brand new out the box.
Stunning jacket, but sleeves were a bit short and I wasn't a massive fan of the colour. A bit 'red'.
Yes, pics look fine, but lift arms and they rode right up, Jimmy style... But I couldn't live with that lol
Brett_GWRW1401 07.JPG

Btw, Jimmy Stewart was thin. He was 6'3 and wore a size 40 RW1401
Jimmy_Stewart_YGSH_e.jpg
Jimmy_Stewart_YGSH_0.jpg

Pa12

This was my old GW RW1401, circa 2015. Pic taken brand new out the box.
Stunning jacket, but sleeves were a bit short and I wasn't a massive fan of the colour. A bit 'red'.
Yes, pics look fine, but lift arms and they rode right up, Jimmy style... But I couldn't live with that lol
View attachment 81913
Btw, Jimmy Stewart was thin. He was 6'3 and wore a size 40 RW1401
View attachment 81915View attachment 81916
That’s why I sold my 44 Platon and got a 46. I could live with the snugness but not the sleeves

ausreenactor

But will the current hides be a factor in a jacket that is two years away? This is the only reason I have never bought into the speculation. The end product will be great and superbly made but if it doesn't match or exceed something I already have I would be discreetly devastated...

Will keep looking for the best jackets on Yahoo Japan...