• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Pa12

For sure. Had one but it was too small. I guess if this one shows up with any issues I’ll have to pound salt considering there’s no way to contact them.

Chandler

Out of curiosity, what contract is it?
For what it's worth:
WQ0Ta6T.jpg

And John's description from his DVD:
This jacket is a reproduction of a WWII Type A-2. The contractor represented chose not to have their company name on the label, as did a number of other contracts, so this pattern is known as a 27753 A-2. The jacket is known for being very comfortable to wear and is almost always made with russet leather, a Conmar zipper, and the Army Air Forces shoulder stencil. The customer who ordered this jacket requested darker leather, so this particular leather is cowhide called English Pub Coffee. It has a striking resemblance to the leather used by Aero in their 21996 contract A-2. Note the original WWII Rau Fastener Corp. snap backs.

The patch stitch marks you see are from that first owner. As I recall, he owned the piece for less than a year, passed it on to someone who passed it on to me.

blackrat2

Vermont espresso was another
Looking back at some of the old threads I wonder where these jackets are residing now

Chandler

Honestly, I'd keep that. It's special enough that it's a keeper. It's also just a hell of a beautiful jacket.
I would, but it never really fit me -- even differently now since I've lost weight, so I never wear it. Figure I can use it to finance one I'll wear. :)

It really is a great jacket from John; nice Conmar zip and terrific knits.

Nickb123

Totally agree - John's Horween beautifully captures the pliability of vintage A-2 jackets.

Mind you, this one was lightly combat-cloned, but I think it was mainly just John wearing it. :D It’s also a 46 (just like the jacket Burt sold me) rather than my usual 44, but I’ve elevated my jacket enjoyment by no longer caring.

It definitely has that “drape” you see in WWII films which is often neglected in repros. Idk, maybe we need to start a thread on examples of this in film. I know many of the WWII flicks used civilian A-2 derivatives, but I’m sure our collective group could put together a period montage.

I’d say this hide, along with that cowhide I posted earlier, are two good choices for that look.